pre-season predictions

SeedsWeSow08":1r2opfry said:
I heard the playoff brackets would be different this year. If so, how many teams from each district will be able to go to the playoffs?

Say, District 4 for example...

TAPPS plans are usually to take the top half of each district ... 2 team district = 1 playoff team, 3 or 4 team district = 2 playoff teams, and so on. District 3 has 8 teams. I know four will go to the playoffs.

I would expect brackets will be out within the next two or three weeks. In D2, there are four districts and I would expect that they would be so set as to preclude district champions meeting until the semi finals. And as usual practice, the #2 team in each district would be in the other half of the bracket so that the only way the #1 and #2 of the same district would meet would happen in the state finals.

With a 16 team field and at my last count 19 or 20 D2 teams, I expect either a couple byes in the playoffs (I could see some or all of the four district champs getting a first round bye) or TAPPS would invite some of the non-playoff qualifiers to decide whether to accept a playoff spot, probably playing those district champs on the road.

Last year, at a TAPPS meeting, I was told that the plan in most sports would be to try and have a full bracket in all rounds, even if teams normally not qualifying were invited. Those teams could decline to participate without penalty, but if they made it in and won that first game (think David and Goliath; the kid was a longshot by the bookies that day, too), they would have to continue in the playoffs.

Based on TAPPS playoff rules:

Dist 1- 6 teams; 3 teams to playoffs

Dist 2- 3 teams; 2 teams to playoffs

Dist 3- 8 teams; 4 teams to playoffs

Dist 4- 4 teams; 2 teams to playoffs

Based on this, there would be 11 teams in the playoff bracket; there are 21 teams in the divison. I would expect that at minimum, one team (probably from 1 or 3) would be added to the field for a 12 team bracket, giving the four district champs a first round bye.

By the way, Districts 2 and 4 were assigned with more teams. Some teams failed to play, declined to go into a district, or moved to another league.

Here's how District 3 stayed at 8 teams at the start (and we were approached at one point about expanding to 9 or 10 teams) ... at our district organizational meeting, the established schools met with the new schools and explained the ADVANTAGES to playing district; especially in terms of travel and playing many schools that were in the same boat as them.

Yes, if you're San Antonio Atonement, you may get beat up by Lifegate, Heritage and Town East. But guess what -- you probably will end up scheduling someone else who will beat you as well. You'll have at least three or four district games where you have a chance of winning against other schools starting up.

Plus, you now only have to deal with scheduling three non-district games. You can be choosy on who to play and not locked into playing Greenville Christian or Richland Springs because they're the only other teams open that weekend.

If you're an established school and your district is now smaller than expected, think about that ...

coachpeters":38yngjni said:
was told by Bryan at TAPPS, they will discuss brackets Wednesday.

I knew the board was meeting next week; they usually determine brackets at that time. I was just discussing what I expect would be a likely scenario based on TAPPS rules and previous practices.

I think there could be some schools added to Districts 2 and 4 next year depending on their willingness to travel to be in a district. As I mentioned above, we could have added one or two more teams (one was a school not currently in TAPPS but considering membership) and there is at least one more smaller school that could be in district that was not assigned to a district last year. All speculation on my part and worth every penny you paid for my sage advice.

Back