Plowboys

Can't wait to see them beat the Chiefs in the Super Bowl! Epic battle of Cowboys and Indians!
Ha. 60 years ago it would have been Dallas vs Dallas. But one was National Football League, the Dallas Cowboys. The other was the Dallas Texans of the American Football League. But they didn't play each other back then and there was no Super Bowl.
In 1962 the Texans won the AFL championship beating the Houston Oilers in the first ever pro championship double overtime game. Then Lamar Hunt took his team to KC and renamed them the Chiefs. Where they went on to play in the first Super Bowl against the Packers who had won the NFL championship. Beating the Cowboys in Dallas, in the Cotton Bowl (34 - 27), home of the Cowboys and Texans 60 - 62. So it could have already happened in theory. Now the Texans are the Chiefs, the Texans are the Oilers and the Oilers are the Titans. And the winner of the AFC each year gets the Lamar Hunt Trophy.

Ranked # 38 by the NFL in Championship games. I heard the end of it on the radio on the way to my grandparent's house in Irving.
Then the next year I remember the Ice Bowl on TV, in black and white. 1st game I do remember on tee vee.

Was watching the NFL network Saturday morning (after midnight) and they had the Ice Bowl special that was done by Don Meredith's son. Although I am a (1) Lifelong Packer Fan (2) Packers Shareholder and (3) Packers Season ticket holder, having grown up about 40 miles from Green Bay (11 years old when the Ice Bowl was played), I really enjoyed the special and the look, primarily from the Cowboys point of view. Then to wake up the next morning and learn Dan Reeves, who threw the pass that gave the Cowboys the lead, passed away was a sad reminder that Father Time is unbeaten in the game of life. By the way, I wasn't at the game.

But tonight's NBC broadcast had a shot of an old lady (82) who has attended EVERY Packer game since 1957 (when Lambeau, then City Stadium) was built. You'd think that's easy, she's got season tickets. But the Packers have two groups of season ticket holders, the Green package (one preseason, six regular season games, and first shot at the playoffs, which I have) and the Gold package (one preseason game, two regular season games -- the 2nd and 5th of the season). That goes back to the days when the Packers played games in Milwaukee each year. When that ended (around 1989), the Milwaukee season ticket holders were given the opportunity to buy the Gold package in Green Bay.

If all goes to plan, I expect to be in Green Bay in four weeks (Jan. 30) for the NFC Championship.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all. I remember the ice bowl very well. I also remember when the plow boys tied the Giants the last game of their first year. You would have thought they won the championship. For some reason i picked up on Coach Madden a couple of days before he died and then it happened. I thought Dan Reeves was the best when he was playing. Those were the days when I could give the stats for every Dallas player and was up on the Texans until they became the Chiefs. Today I’m not sure who the coach is. I’m a Texas High School football fan and proud of it and especially six-man. Free agent have fun at Lambeau if it goes as planned. Everyone check in every once in a while so we can keep up with each other. All making the change to 11 man, good luck. Those new to six-man, welcome

Dan Reeves was a gentleman...met him and his wife at the airport outside of Orlando FL. in the spring of 1996. He was waiting for his daughter to fly in from Denver. Her flight was delayed by snow and ice. There was about four or five in my group and one recognized Dan even though he was trying to hide behind a newspaper. When we walked over to visit him, he sheepishly stood up, shook our hands as we introduced ourselves. His wife was laughing at him the whole time. We stood around and talked about, what else, football for 10 to 15 minutes.

Was watching the NFL network Saturday morning (after midnight) and they had the Ice Bowl special that was done by Don Meredith's son. Although I am a (1) Lifelong Packer Fan (2) Packers Shareholder and (3) Packers Season ticket holder, having grown up about 40 miles from Green Bay (11 years old when the Ice Bowl was played), I really enjoyed the special and the look, primarily from the Cowboys point of view. Then to wake up the next morning and learn Dan Reeves, who threw the pass that gave the Cowboys the lead, passed away was a sad reminder that Father Time is unbeaten in the game of life. By the way, I wasn't at the game.

But tonight's NBC broadcast had a shot of an old lady (82) who has attended EVERY Packer game since 1957 (when Lambeau, then City Stadium) was built. You'd think that's easy, she's got season tickets. But the Packers have two groups of season ticket holders, the Green package (one preseason, six regular season games, and first shot at the playoffs, which I have) and the Gold package (one preseason game, two regular season games -- the 2nd and 5th of the season). That goes back to the days when the Packers played games in Milwaukee each year. When that ended (around 1989), the Milwaukee season ticket holders were given the opportunity to buy the Gold package in Green Bay.

If all goes to plan, I expect to be in Green Bay in four weeks (Jan. 30) for the NFC Championship.
May your plan fail. Hope the packers loose in the second round, or even this weekend. I was 10. I know I'd seen parts of other games. I remember listening to the 66 championship at the Cotton Bowl on the radio non the way to my grandparents house in Irving. But the first game I ever remember watching on TV was the Ice Bowl. I remember my dad and uncles excitement when the Cowboys took the lead.
You do know Jerry Kramer later admitted he was off sides. And that Dez's catch was a catch?

So what? If the call isn't made, it's not a penalty. And you really have to slow the film down to see, perhaps, a split second movement by Kramer. I suggest that if you ran many plays that slow, you'd see the same thing. After 50 some years, memories fail :). And under the rules at the time (which your current coach knew, which is why he threw the challenge flag), Dez's catch was not a catch. Even suprised me at the time, but hey, whadda I know. And if my feeble memory doesn't fail me, there were still several minutes left in the game (certainly more than 2, since the Packers threw the challenge flag). You might remember that Green Bay has a quarterback who can do all sorts of things in, say, 30 seconds or less.

It would be really neat to have Dallas vs Green Bay at Lambeau on Jan 30th. But I'm okay with whoever we play, as long as we can do our part and win the Divisional round.

would like to see a dallas for chiefs this season. why not think we can develop on last season horrible 1st round exit and meet mahomes in the final. seems like an outside chance on sportsbetting3.com but why not have a little cowboy and indians finale this time round.

Those Deluxe Plowboys had never beat Brady in I think 7 games over the years. Last night they feasted on grilled goat! They may not win another game but that was fun to watch. They're most dominant playoff win in the last 30 years. Kudos to Dak (11 completions in a row, new CB playoff record) and the OL. But Dan Quinn's D, Parsons and the rest were awesome. I'll enjoy this while I can. But I think they have a legitimate chance against the Niners.

Ha. 60 years ago it would have been Dallas vs Dallas. But one was National Football League, the Dallas Cowboys. The other was the Dallas Texans of the American Football League. But they didn't play each other back then and there was no Super Bowl.
In 1962 the Texans won the AFL championship beating the Houston Oilers in the first ever pro championship double overtime game. Then Lamar Hunt took his team to KC and renamed them the Chiefs. Where they went on to play in the first Super Bowl against the Packers who had won the NFL championship. Beating the Cowboys in Dallas, in the Cotton Bowl (34 - 27), home of the Cowboys and Texans 60 - 62. So it could have already happened in theory. Now the Texans are the Chiefs, the Texans are the Oilers and the Oilers are the Titans. And the winner of the AFC each year gets the Lamar Hunt Trophy.

Those were good times! My grandpa was a Cowboys fan. I always heard lots of stories about the games at dinner :)

So what? If the call isn't made, it's not a penalty. And you really have to slow the film down to see, perhaps, a split second movement by Kramer. I suggest that if you ran many plays that slow, you'd see the same thing. After 50 some years, memories fail :). And under the rules at the time (which your current coach knew, which is why he threw the challenge flag), Dez's catch was not a catch. Even suprised me at the time, but hey, whadda I know. And if my feeble memory doesn't fail me, there were still several minutes left in the game (certainly more than 2, since the Packers threw the challenge flag). You might remember that Green Bay has a quarterback who can do all sorts of things in, say, 30 seconds or less.

It would be really neat to have Dallas vs Green Bay at Lambeau on Jan 30th. But I'm okay with whoever we play, as long as we can do our part and win the Divisional round.
It's amazing. Do you remember events from 50 years ago? They must have been very emotional events.

It's amazing. Do you remember events from 50 years ago? They must have been very emotional events.
I remember the day of the Ice Bowl very vividly. Cold, cold day. My dear sainted departed Irish mother was the night OB nurse at the local hospital (as an aside, I am convinced no child was born in Two Rivers, Wisconsin for about 20 years unless my mother was working because every friend or kid's mom I ever met in town would ask who my mother was and when I told them, they would gush on what a wonderful nurse she was when their children were born. Best job in town, in my book, was OB nurse on any shift my mother didn't' work).

Anyway, at 7 or 8 am, she's ready to go home. Car wouldn't start because it was -10 to -20 below. I'm 11 and at home across town and my dad was an invalid (and anyway, Mom had the only car). It's about a 20 block walk from the hospital to our house, across town and across a river/bridge. Mom starts walking and gets about five or six blocks before one of the local cops sees her. And of course, she was there when his kids were born, so it's "Hop in, ma'am, I'll take you home." I think that the game was on television -- normally home games were blacked out, but NFL often relaxed the home blackout rule for playoff games -- if not, it was Ray Scott on the radio.

Like Lombardi used to say, the most three important things in life were God, family, and the Green Bay Packers.

Back