Playoffs

Here's a little something to confuse you a bit more #22:

If we (Trinity) win on Saturday then we go to a coin flip between Lucas, Trinity and Hill (barring Hill not losing on Friday night to Lewisville). The odd man out on the coin flip, their season is over (meaning if there are two heads and one tail or two tails and one head, the 'one head' or 'one tail' is 4th in the district and they don't advance.). At that point it goes to head to head matchup meaning: If Trinity wins on Saturday and then both Trinity and Lucas win the coin toss, Trinity is second and Lucas is third because Trinity won the head to head. If Trinity wins on Saturday and Lucas and Hill win the coin flip, then Lucas is second because they beat Hill. If Trinity wins on Saturday and Trinity and Hill win the coin flip, then Hill is second cause they beat Trinity. In TCAF playoff format, the 2nd place team in the district plays the first round of the playoffs at their home field while the 3rd place team travels to the 2nd place team from the other districts home field.

Got all that? Good :)

Now I need a Tylenol...

sorry bout that wildcat, that was my bad for just readin the bottom end of the conversation haha yes i expect its pretty frustrating bein so far away from all the other teams our there :? and we are definetly guilty of not wanting to travel that far :) and its probably the same for yall. but yes i play for lucas and this season has been VERY interesting with a bunch of upsets and unexpected wins and loses.

WOW coach gilbert.... haha thats all i gotta say.... naw just kiddin but seriously that was confusing lol..

but NOW i understand... if we win we HOST the first playoff game from El Paso and then travel to MIDLAND for the second game THEN to aledo for the state game. (all assuming we win of course) if we lose then its the weird coin toss head to head... 1st 2nd 3rd junk that you just explained to me :D haha totally understand now

oh by the way the powers that be decided on the state game being at yall's (trinity's) field right? or is it a different place?

StC Wildcat":38tehysm said:
I am sure you have missed most of the dialogue (or diatribe ... -- sometimes it is hard to tell :mrgreen: ) between Lifegate and myself. He is a staunch TAPPS supporter whose message of unity among Christian schools is a strong argument for having just one, statewide sports organization. Unfortunately and because of the real world diversity among our Christian schools, there does not yet exist a single organization that CAN cater to all the needs of all the different schools.

Thanks for the question and the opportunity given me to correct ANY misconception that might be drawn from Lifegate's and my exchanges, witty reparte', and - most often - "jus' funnin" jousting. :wink:

You thought I was joking? I just might have to rethink that mercy policy I've been usin' with you and put you back on double secret probation.

In the movie "Friday Night Lights", there was a three-way tie. The coaches met at a cafe and had their coin flip. Each coach brought his "lucky" coin and had the odd-man-out flip. It happens, but it is not common. It IS a reflection of the excellence of all of these programs, the competitiveness in our league and the perseverance of the players that at this stage of the season, you still have four teams in District 1 still very much in the hunt for a playoff spot. Congrats. and best wishes to all.

EZduzit":140z4wan said:
In the movie "Friday Night Lights", there was a three-way tie. The coaches met at a cafe and had their coin flip. Each coach brought his "lucky" coin and had the odd-man-out flip. It happens, but it is not common. It IS a reflection of the excellence of all of these programs, the competitiveness in our league and the perseverance of the players that at this stage of the season, you still have four teams in District 1 still very much in the hunt for a playoff spot. Congrats. and best wishes to all.

I guess the coin flip idea has tradition and a bit of quick drama to it ... but gosh, I'd sure wish I could say there was something your kids did on the field (be it one stop that made the point differential) that determines whether you're in the playoffs or getting ready for buckets season.

lifegatesports":1sl57jaj said:
EZduzit":1sl57jaj said:

I guess the coin flip idea has tradition and a bit of quick drama to it ... but gosh, I'd sure wish I could say there was something your kids did on the field (be it one stop that made the point differential) that determines whether you're in the playoffs or getting ready for buckets season.

I understand the sentiment, and you must be a coach. It is, however, a long season, and you are dealing with high school kids. There are lots of ups and downs over the course of a season, shoot, over the course of a game. You've got wild cards with officials each week. Buckling down each game and each play within each game to get the W has to remain the focus. Win and you are in. Don't and it might come down to a coin flip. Total points can get in the way of sportsmanship at the end of good games against good opponents. Think about it. You are up by two touchdowns, but both teams have played good, clean hard fought games. You have it on the one yard line with 25 seconds to go. Don't you want to take a knee, line up and give the other guys a "good game", then circle up and thank the Good Lord for His blessings? Instead, you punch it in just to give yourself the extra points you might need at the end of the season in case of a tie.

EZduzit":304qffxw said:
lifegatesports":304qffxw said:
EZduzit":304qffxw said:

I understand the sentiment, and you must be a coach. It is, however, a long season, and you are dealing with high school kids. There are lots of ups and downs over the course of a season, shoot, over the course of a game. You've got wild cards with officials each week. Buckling down each game and each play within each game to get the W has to remain the focus. Win and you are in. Don't and it might come down to a coin flip. Total points can get in the way of sportsmanship at the end of good games against good opponents. Think about it. You are up by two touchdowns, but both teams have played good, clean hard fought games. You have it on the one yard line with 25 seconds to go. Don't you want to take a knee, line up and give the other guys a "good game", then circle up and thank the Good Lord for His blessings? Instead, you punch it in just to give yourself the extra points you might need at the end of the season in case of a tie.

No, I don't coach. And you're right, there are a lot of wild cards to deal with. But those are part of the game, and playoffs are best determined what happens within the white lines of the field.

Winning the game takes away those variables, and you're right. Win and you are in.

The reason most districts have a point cap per game to determine point differential is to avoid the "running up the score" issue. In your case, with the ball on the one, a few plays left, up by 12-16 points, it is going to be a coaching decision whether to take the knee and end the game. But I'll bet that the coach on the other side of the field knows the same situation and realizes that the extra touchdown that either you score ... or his defense holds (and yes, there are cases where even six-man defense can make a stop on the goal line) that might be crucial in determining post season play (and I emphasize MIGHT, because in week 6, 7, 8 or even 9, you really DON'T know if that play determines playing in the post season or staying home; a week 10 game might have those options very clear).

Running up a score is keeping the first team in, throwing the ball, ... winning by 45 by scoring in those last few seconds (my suggestion is, once you're late in the fourth quarter, you try to end the game by letting the clock run out, not winning by 45 with a few seconds left on the clock).

And since we're dealing with a game that often ends by the 45 point rule (in almost 50% of the games) and an average winning margin in the 30 point range, you can have a good game that ends 50-20.

ok so Lucas won 60-50 against Trinity...close game the ENTIRE time. but we came out on top this time. Mike Sapp did get his 10,000 career yards around the second quarter though :lol: ... thats alot... :D it was definetly a well played game for both teams.

so now im just waitin for the scores to be posted from the western district (lets go lifegate hurry it up ;] lol)

lucas has 2nd place and hosts 3rd place team from western district. either faith or immanuel?

Congratulations to Lucas!

EP Faith will be traveling to Lucas. They lost last night to EP Immanuel by 4pts.

Who will be coming to EP to play Immanuel? (They finished 2nd in the West.)

Midland Trinity beat EP Bethel and won District outright. So, MT will have a bye next week.

District I Div I standings and playoff pairings

1. FW Christian Life 4-1
2. Lucas 4-1 (Christian Life wins head to head)
3. FW Hill School 3-2
4 Trinity Christian Academy 2-3
5. Nazarene Christian 2-3
6. Lewisville Temple 0-5

FW Christian Life = 1st round bye
Lucas = Plays EP Faith in Lucas
FW Hill = Travels to EP Immanuel

District II Div I standings

1. Midland Trinity
2. EP Immanuel
3. EP Faith
4. EP Bethel Temple

Midland Trinity = 1st round bye
EP Immaneul = plays FW Hill in El Paso
EP Faith = plays Lucas at Lucas

MysteryMan09":3se4cc7f said:
Wait so does Willow Park go to playoffs or not?

No they are out for this season and hill school took the 3rd place seed. because if we had lost there would have been a 3 way tie. and hill school beat trinity in the regular season so hill school advances

StC Wildcat":1p5jz4ot said:
Congratulations to Lucas!

EP Faith will be traveling to Lucas. They lost last night to EP Immanuel by 4pts.

Who will be coming to EP to play Immanuel? (They finished 2nd in the West.)

Midland Trinity beat EP Bethel and won District outright. So, MT will have a bye next week.

Thanks Wildcat!!! :D

alright so lucas hosts EP faith next week... and Fort Worth Hill School will (3rd place seed) will be traveling to EP to play immanuel

yeah i expected midland to win out on district. does anybody know how they are lookin this year? i believe they lost around 17 seniors. and i could believe that because last year when we lost in the playoffs to them, their charter bus pulled up and they just kept walkin off hahaa i think they had around 30 kids last season

of course i didnt realize that coach gilbert already explained all that... :? haha :]

but hey! christian life finally lost!!! yaay for lucas we tie for first in district... but lose anyways cause they beat us :[ haha

Back