Offensive Line

dport

11-man fan
I'll be coaching offensive line for the first time next season and want to learn all I can between now and then. Any help regarding fundamental drills, techniques, etc. would be greatly appreciated. We will run mostly out of an unbalanced I. We have a one-man sled to work with but that's about it. Thanks for any help.

Get a 3 man shoot if you can, I built one for us. Its all about good footwork and hands. Once their feet die they are done. Teach them to explode through their chest and bring the hands to the chest plate, if you can get your hands to the chest plate and push the shoulder pads up, which in turn tilts their head back, you can make the defense go wherever you want them to.

High Plains Drifter":1j0d7gd4 said:
Amen, teach them proper pivot and footwork on trap to both sides, screen block, crab block (for us old folks), pass block.

The crab block would work on a linebacker several times in a game. I put Woody Lyons of Smyer on his butt a couple times using it. in the first half. The first time I tried it in the second half he used his jumping skills to make me completely miss.
embarrassed.gif

i heard somewhere they (the uil) were going to make it where there was no blocking below the waiste. is there any truth in this blocking change?

The biggest thing, you need to teach them is firing off the ball. If they mess up then mess up fast and hard. Also what we tell our guyshere; to keep it simple, is their Inside Gap first, Head Up second, and Second level is third. I have been also a part of a program, in which that wouldn't work, because of the amount of plays we had, we had smart kids so their blocking assignment changed every down, depending on front and play call. If you have any more questions call 254-977-3409. Good Luck.

High Plains Drifter":3dcni3s8 said:
He was only about a 7' high jumper. Shame on you. Ha

That guy could definitely jump. We got the ball first and had to punt after 4 downs. When I hiked the ball ha made a running start and vaulted over us before we could react. He timed it perfectly and went over the line just as the ball left my hands. Needless to say, he blocked the kick.

Back