NEW UIL FORM & New UIL Rules

Coach Ware

11-man fan
I noticed on the UIL site that there will be a new form for parents and student/athletes to sign.

its the Sudden Cardiac Arrest Awareness Form..

also noticed that cheer coaches & cheer sponsors will be required to take the concussion training....

also noticed full contact will be limited to 90 minutes per athlete per week for football... this one will give my jh mgrs something new to do this year

on a different subject.... I noticed that
2A and 3A will take 4 teams to the playoffs in team sports

makes me wonder if sixman/THE NEW 1A in 2014-15 will take 3 teams to the state playoffs instead of 2

Coach Ware":ji2l86td said:
makes me wonder if sixman/THE NEW 1A in 2014-15 will take 3 teams to the state playoffs instead of 2

With as many 4 team districts as we have? I hope not. If we're going back to 1st round byes I'd prefer to keep it at 2 teams & get back to bigger districts again

Makes sense, Wayne ... somewhere I once read that on a per-capita basis, cheerleading had the most injuries of any sport tracked by NCAA.

And as I once was told, any padding in a cheerleader uniform wasn't put there for safety purposes.

Seriously, I remember the day I first gave a presentation at the coaching clinic in Temple about starting up a six-man program; insurance and injury protection was a key part of the topic. The Houston newspaper had an article about a young lady attending Prairie View A&M from the San Antonio area who had been wheelchair-bound since an injury during a cheerleader practice and that she had passed away from those injuries.

The new rules, including the ones mentioned above, will likely be mentioned tomorrow as the UIL representatives make their presentation to the Texas Sixman Coaches Association in Lubbock. Like it or not, they usually present their expectations relatively plain. I am sure there will be some moanin' and groanin' goin' on.

"full contact will be limited to 90 minutes per athlete per week for football" Is this practice and games? And when do you start the clock in practice. I would have some one running a game clock that stopped on my whistle.

SixManPhotoGuy":1v53dbri said:
"full contact will be limited to 90 minutes per athlete per week for football" Is this practice and games? And when do you start the clock in practice. I would have some one running a game clock that stopped on my whistle.
It's 90 min. during practices.
Running a game clock is unnecessary.
You're missing the intent of the rule.
Anywhere close to 90
is gonna be better
than how most coaches
used to beat the hell out of their own team
all week long.
Just get close and you'll be ok.
Good grief.

Texman301":2jsu3rk1 said:
Dog, its 90 minutes PER WEEK of practice! Not 90 minutes a day!
I know kicking the dog is everyone's favorite pastime around here, but im pretty sure he understands that its per week. As he was just answering the question of whether or not game time was included in that 90 minutes.

Forms and information are on the UIL website. Go to athletics, then forms. The concussion form has some weird looking text in it. I thought it may be the software on my computer so tried another and it was that way there too.

Texman301":3j5xoisq said:
Dog, its 90 minutes PER WEEK of practice! Not 90 minutes a day!
90 min per week
yep I get it.
I just don't believe in beating the crap out of my own team.
If you'll notice,
the most injuries happen in the pre-season
when players are out of shape
and over zealous coaches/players
just wanna hit somebody.
Crenny's coach said
a player just has so many hits in their little body.
Save them for the game.

Back