New Kick Off Play Clock Rule

Warcat82":2hj4ydb1 said:
The summit vs HT crew also started the clock after PAT and rushed the kickoffs. They also didn't enforce the new kickoff rules nor did they enforce the cut rule either. It was terrible.

Is that another reason you lost?

The 40 second clock is only running after a pat and after a kickoff. The teams still have 2 min between pat and kick off, tho most come out after a min of so. After a kickoff, the crew will take some time to set chains, make sure all officials are in position, if the 40 second clock is close to expiring it will be pumped back up to 25 if the delay is on crew or some problem with the field, or say an injury on the kickoff.

So your saying there is a 40 sec clock after PAT but also a 2 minute break for officials and then I’d the 40 sec clock expires it’s pumped back to 25. Now I’m not the swiftest duck in the pool but what you stated doesn’t make the least bit of sense. Please re read the taso page and respond

Superjrj":14aulhtf said:
So If I read and understand there is NO 40 sec clock after a try and before the ensuing kickoff..the 25 sec clock will start when ref whistles ready for play on kickoff. Then upon ball being declared dead the usual operating rules are in effect. 40 sec clock is in effectThe intent of the rule was to speed up play after a score prior to attempt for extra point.
This is what has been explained to me in press box by officials. The 40 sec clock following a score was with intent to speed up the try. And there is NO 40 sec clock prior to the ensuing kickoff. When ball is declared dead following kickoff the normal clock operations are in effect

The clock rules have been apart of EVERY clinic, meeting, and test the officials have attended? Since aug 1, it has been drilled, pushed, emphasized daily, weekly. It is confusing from the old way of doing things but it is not that much different when you consider wanting to speed up game. Maybe by district it will even out.
The intent is not to let some team have a free shot with no opposition on the field, unless they are just flat dogging it and then should never happen. You can hit them with delay before you let another team score.

cowman52":2t99m1ql said:
The 40 second clock is only running after a pat and after a kickoff. The teams still have 2 min between pat and kick off, tho most come out after a min of so. After a kickoff, the crew will take some time to set chains, make sure all officials are in position, if the 40 second clock is close to expiring it will be pumped back up to 25 if the delay is on crew or some problem with the field, or say an injury on the kickoff.
So as you stated 40 sec clock is “only running “after” a PAT and I understand after a kickoff. The 2 minute between PAT and kickoff the 40 sec clock will expire. I understand after kickoff it back to normal operations. It’s after the PAT that you’ve confused me

Clinicians told us to start the 40 after a ko return but don't get so wrapped up in it to lose our focus. It was intended to keep the offense from huddling forever and then running out without the defense getting to match up. 11 man still gets the 1 min after pat plus the 40 on the play clock.

cowman52":1jocekuv said:
Clinicians told us to start the 40 after a ko return but don't get so wrapped up in it to lose our focus. It was intended to keep the offense from huddling forever and then running out without the defense getting to match up. 11 man still gets the 1 min after pat plus the 40 on the play clock.
I understand after a kickoff kickoff return the 40 sec and play clock operations go back to last year. The confusing part is you stated that the 40 sec clock is running after a PAT. But they still had 2 minutes between PAT and kickoff ?????

Superjrj":e50k6gfi said:
cowman52":e50k6gfi said:
I understand after a kickoff kickoff return the 40 sec and play clock operations go back to last year. The confusing part is you stated that the 40 sec clock is running after a PAT. But they still had 2 minutes between PAT and kickoff ?????

When team A scores a touchdown, the 40 second clock starts running for the try. Then there is no play clock until the referee whistles the free kick ready for play - which is 25 seconds. Then, after the kickoff - the 40 second clock starts again for the ensuing scrimmage play.

It's really no more complicated than that.

rainjacktx":1q0lihfu said:
Superjrj":1q0lihfu said:
cowman52":1q0lihfu said:

When team A scores a touchdown, the 40 second clock starts running for the try. Then there is no play clock until the referee whistles the free kick ready for play - which is 25 seconds. Then, after the kickoff - the 40 second clock starts again for the ensuing scrimmage play.

Cowman stated it was running after a PAT. But there was also a 2 minute break. You explanation is the one I got from officials last Friday nite. The change after a score was intended to speed up the PAT. It’s evident that some “officials” are still confused Thanks for your input.

Superjrj":2zdwjcmu said:
rainjacktx":2zdwjcmu said:
Superjrj":2zdwjcmu said:
cowman52":2zdwjcmu said:

Cowman stated it was running after a PAT. But there was also a 2 minute break. You explanation is the one I got from officials last Friday nite. The change after a score was intended to speed up the PAT. It’s evident that some “officials” are still confused Thanks for your input.

The play clock doesn't run after the PAT until the referee whistles and chops ready for play. And then it is a 25 second clock. There is a 1-2 minute break between the end of the PAT and the referee whistling ready for play for the ensuing free kick.

Anyone doing it differently is wrong.

Back