Play Clock Rule

Coach Adams

Six-man fan
I read that starting with the 2014 Football season, Texas High School Football will implement the 40/25-second play clock for all levels of play, 7th grade to varsity.

Does this rule apply to sixman?

I believe so. I don't think the UIL has released this year's 6-man variations, so I'm not 100% sure, but I haven't heard anything that would lead me to believe it wouldn't apply to all levels.

How will this work? Do you start the 40 second clock as soon as the previous play has been blown dead? Will there be some sort of signal from the white hat?

Yes the 40 second clock starts as soon as the previous play is dead. You may have noticed officials raising one hand over their head when the ball is dead the last couple years. That is the signal to start the 40 seconds.

The part that will confuse is a play ends out of bounds for a first down, game clock stops, play clock goes from 40. 25 only kicks in on penalty, measurement, and such.

The even more confusing one is a first down in bounds. The game clock stops to reset the chains and spot the ball, but the play clock starts as soon as the previous play is over. So the game clock is stopped, but the play clock is running. Once the ball, chains, and officials are ready, the white hat gives the winding signal without a whistle to restart the game clock.

Will schools need to purchase a different play clock? One that resets to either 40 or 25 depending on the button pushed? Can the present 25 second clock be programed to do both?

I think a lot of that will depend on the individual clocks that are currently in place. Some will be be able to be upgraded, some will not, I would guess you would have to check with the vendor of the 25 sec clock or their representative. Some schools have never had a 25 second clock, and there is no requirement that a 25/40 clock be purchased.

If there is no 25/40 clock, or if the clock can only be set to 25, the clock will be kept by the officials on the field. If the clock can only be set to 25 seconds it should not even be turned on as the officials will request that it be turned off anyway.

I would expect that the clock will be kept on the field on almost every sub-varsity game throughout the state anyway so it won't be something brand new to the officials that are keeping that on the field.

Here is the link to the training that should be viewed by all play clock operators at least, (if you have one).

http://www.brainshark.com/arbitersports ... JBkzCr2pz0

Go to taso.org, they have a 40/25 clock class there. You can get caught up on the ins and outs. Word from no high, the 40/25 WILL be used. Period.

According to Mr. Beasley from UIL, if school has not play clock it will be kept on field by back judge. This is gonna be grreat the first few weeks. Ha

The word from on high. 2 ball boys from each team on both sidelines. If chain crew not set, drop a marker at Los and keep going.

As paranoid as some get, can you see some one from the opposing team on the other side line. Ball not coming in from ball boy will not be reason for resetting play clock.

I am waiting on the wreck. O and for 60 bucks, there is a hand held version of the clock.

One more deal, can't snap football till whoever sets the ball is in his position, 5 yard penalty on offense.

How many bean bags will the headlinesman carry? I can see a situation where the visiting team is trying get more plays in, the officials are working hard to help keep the game moving and the chain crew dragging trying to help kill just a few seconds on the clock. They might never quite get set up for each play!

Blue Bird":1ujo36or said:
How many bean bags will the headlinesman carry? I can see a situation where the visiting team is trying get more plays in, the officials are working hard to help keep the game moving and the chain crew dragging trying to help kill just a few seconds on the clock. They might never quite get set up for each play!

If I was running headlines from now on I actually would carry two. If we have a long run or pass for a first down and we need to get there and set up. If the box man is not getting there for whatever reason we need to place a bag down on the suceeding spot (new line of scrimmage). The game will not wait for chains when the 40 is running. Once the ball is down and the officials back away it is go time. If no box man then we bag and go. I do not see this happening a lot.

We had scrimmage last night and this morning, the hitch seemed to be the game clock stopping on the first down and everyone waiting on the chains to restart. Don't know if it was a problem but was noticed. Will know more after live quarters next week.

Back