New Kick Off Play Clock Rule

Leman Saunders

Six-man expert
Ok so went to Jayton tonight and watched the two games which had two different officiating crew. Both handeled the play clock after a touchdown differntly.

The first one, for the Meadow v Paducah game, started the 40 second play clock, meaning the kicking team had 40 seconds to kick the ball off, immediately after the extra point was signaled! With I believe no whistles to warn teams (the first kickoff after a Meadow TD Paducah hadnt even broke huddle and Meadow kicked off..surprisingly they didnt recover their own kick and kicked it out of the endzone)

The second crew gave both teams time to get over to their sidelines and take a few breaths and maybe even break huddle before they started the 40 second play clock.

HUGE DIFFERENCES! Poor Paducah and Meadow kids had zero time to catch a breath! While Jayton and Knox City game seemed basically normal.

My question is which crew was correct? And I encourage everyone to share their stories about this and other rule changes from week 1!

(I saw no penalties in either game in regards to the new tackling rules)

I will say this if the first set of refs for the Meadow v Paducah game are correct then this is a horrible rule for six-man football and the association needs to get six-man exempt from this asap, much in the way there are other special rules for six-man.

Just reread the kickoff rule and the way I understand is, after scoring, the 40sec clock starts and the attempt for extra point has to start before 40 sec time runs out. After kickoff, the 40 sec clock starts and ball must be snapped before 40 sec clock runs out. There is no 40 second clock between extra point and kickoff. The first game was wrong. I read no rule change on tackling, just blocking and there will be no blocking below the waist except possibly the center within 5 yards of line of scrimmage. That rule is tackle to tackle in 11 man.

The 40 second clock starts after a touchdown - the referee will not whistle or signal the start of the 25 second clock for the PAT attempt. Same with the end of the kickoff. The 40 second clock will start when the kickoff is over.

Another rule change that will be huge for sixman is the new block below the waist rules. There's going to be a lot of really mad parents and coaches the first few weeks of the season.

rainjacktx":3hh9olo4 said:
The 40 second clock starts after a touchdown - the referee will not whistle or signal the start of the 25 second clock for the PAT attempt. Same with the end of the kickoff. The 40 second clock will start when the kickoff is over.

So the first crew as I described it did it right last night?

Again if that is the case...much like in 6man the quarters are 10mins long not 12mins they need to get this new rule fixed for 6man. Kids on teams will never leave the field of play coaches will have to burn timeouts just to get them breaks.

I believe the refs should use their discretion on how fast the game is played. I know had white hats in the past that allowed extra time for breaks in extremely hot weather. Those guys understand the six man game. We are going into a game tonight with 7 kids suited up and they are going to need all the breaks they can get. Hope we don't get an annal ref that wants to be back home by 10:00.

The rule I have a question on (not encountered yet, and am assuming it's new) -- fair catch brings ball to 20?

http://www.uiltexas.org/files/athletics ... s_2018.pdf

(6-5-1) 10. If a Team B player makes a fair catch of a Free Kick behind Team B’s 20-yard line, Team B will
next snap the ball at its own 20 yard line.

Reads pretty plain -- so if we caught it on the 2, fair catch -- it's just like a touchback?

There is no 40 second clock in between a PAT and kickoff. There is a 40 second clock between TD and PAT (starting as soon as the referee drops his hands for a TD signal)....and there is a 40 second clock after kickoff (starting immediately after ball is blown dead).

The touch back rule is also in effect as one mentioned. But, honestly...in sixman...if my KO returner fair catches a deep kick, he won't be my returner anymore. He better attempt to return that sucker!

Jones26":1tna7ewn said:
There is no 40 second clock in between a PAT and kickoff. There is a 40 second clock between TD and PAT (starting as soon as the referee drops his hands for a TD signal)....and there is a 40 second clock after kickoff (starting immediately after ball is blown dead).

So then the refs at the Meadow v Paducah game did it very wrong as they did 40sec clock in between PAT and KO...

Leman Saunders":2scgep96 said:
Jones26":2scgep96 said:

So then the refs at the Meadow v Paducah game did it very wrong as they did 40sec clock in between PAT and KO...

Looks that way, yes. After seeing this post, I went and read all the correspondence from our Chapter secretary about new rules, and it looks like those guys in the Meadow-Paducah game were wrong.

Still trying to find clarity on the new cut blocking rules, as i've heard several things on that interpretation.

Jones26":7sq3l7k6 said:
But, honestly...in sixman...if my KO returner fair catches a deep kick, he won't be my returner anymore. He better attempt to return that sucker!

Generally, I agree with you -- I can think of just a few times in my time watching the game where this would be advantageous -- Versus a team with a kicker than can boot it high & deep, giving a good opportunity to the defender to try and pin you deep. Most often, if someone's going to kick it that far back (in the air) -- you can almost let it roll for the touchback..

So correct application of the new 40 sec play clock changes has already even discussed but I’ll reiterate. The only changes are

• • The playclock will be set to 40 seconds following a 6 pt Touchdown and started within a few seconds of the score. If the ball is not snapped for the try before the expiration of the 40 sec clock, the offense will be assessed a penalty for a delay of game foul.
    • The playclock will be set to 40 seconds following a free kick (kickoff) and started within a few seconds of the officials signaling the end of the free kick or any subsequent run. If the ball is not snapped for the 1st down play before the expiration of the 40 sec clock, the offense will be assessed a penalty for a delay of game foul.

That’s it, nothing else changed.

As far as blocking below the waist, the biggest change is that NO player may block low more than 5 yards beyond the neutral zone.

For the rest of the changes, in a nutshell, if you are on the line of scrimmage, inside the tackle box (draw a line 1 yard beyond the NZ parallel with the NZ. Draw two lines, each parallel to the sideline, 5 yards on each side of the ball extending from the previous line to the end line (back of EZ) you have the TB) you can block low in any direction, as long as it is not from behind below the knees, as long as you and the ball remain in the tackle box... once either leaves the box you may only block a defender low “from the front”. From the front means that the direction of the force of the block should be in an area of concentration by the defender... so, “getting your head across” is not legal in that the force of a “head across” block is from the side. Also, one the ball is outside the tackle box no one may block low back toward their own goal line, this is a peel back block. Any stationary back, at the snap, inside the TB may block low back towards the original position of the ball as long as the 10/2 is met. Lineman outside the tackle box or backs in motion may only block low from the front and cannot block low back towards the original position of the ball.

Another new rule this season is the knee pad rule. Players are required to have knee pads that cover the knee, and pants that cover the knee pad over the knee. So no more bermuda shorts looking pants. And if the pants/pads aren't covering the knee, the player must leave the game until his uniform is in compliance with UIL rules.

TASO has already issued "guidelines" about the basketball/volleyball type knee pads.

Or something like that.

The summit vs HT crew also started the clock after PAT and rushed the kickoffs. They also didn't enforce the new kickoff rules nor did they enforce the cut rule either. It was terrible.

So If I read and understand there is NO 40 sec clock after a try and before the ensuing kickoff..the 25 sec clock will start when ref whistles ready for play on kickoff. Then upon ball being declared dead the usual operating rules are in effect. 40 sec clock is in effectThe intent of the rule was to speed up play after a score prior to attempt for extra point.

But I can say that at least some of the refs don't have this right yet...

In one of the games at the Allen Academy (don't recall which one), after the PAT when the teams huddled in the sidelines, I clearly heard one of the refs tell the teams, "This isn't a time out. You have 40 seconds."

Under the old rules and the way I understand the current rules, once the ball is marked in play for the kickoff, the ref signals to start the 25 second clock, not 40.

txhsfb":3qmc5x7f said:
Warcat82":3qmc5x7f said:
Here is the TASO page. There IS a 40 second clock for the kickoff too...

http://www.taso.org/rule/football/play- ... -the-rules

That does NOT say there is a 40 second clock after the point try for the kickoff. It does not address the kickoff itself. It addresses a 40 second clock after the touchdown for the point after try and a 40 second clock after the kickoff for the first play from scrimmage.

I re-read it, and you are correct. They have time to huddle before kickoff. Not supposed to have the 40 second clock on kickoff

Back