New Features Coming!

Mike

Six-man master
Administrator
After finally getting the rankings and spreads fixed and live, I'd like to share with y'all a few new things and changes we'll have this season.

Player of The Week

I know this is something @granger did in years past and I'd like to bring it back. Each week we're going to allow members to submit entries for Six-Man Player of The Week. All of the entries will be reviewed by myself and a few others to determine who we consider the Player of The Week. We'll plan on accepting entries starting on Friday nights, through Monday night. We'll take a few days to deliberate and announce our pick on Thursday. The timeline may change during the season, depending on how things go with the submissions and the picks.

Weekly Pick 'em

Similar to what we had in the playoffs last year, and we'll definitely do it again for the playoffs this year, we're going to have a weekly pick 'em. The pick 'em will open every Sunday and close on either Tuesday night at midnight or sometime early Wednesday morning (I haven't quite decided which yet). So, each week you'll all have a chance to prove your six-man expertise.

Fan Polls

Based off of what @Pdevitt13 did last season, we'll now have weekly fan polls. Everyone on the site will be able to submit their top 10 picks for each division. Like the weekly pick 'em, the picks will open up on Sunday and close on late Tuesday or early Wednesday. On Wednesday we'll be able to announce what all the fans on this site think are the top 10 teams in six-man football, for each division.

No More Texting Score Updates

This year I'm going to try something different for the live scoreboard. Instead of text updates, which sometimes include a lot of unreadable (to most people) abbreviations and a little bit of unnecessary smack talk (unnecessary for the scoreboard, not for the site) I'm going to have it so that members can submit scores to games, by quarter, on each team's overview page.

Once scores are submitted, they'll all be instantly publicly viewable from our live scoreboard page. Members will also be able to post live score updates directly on that page as well.

This page will be designed to only show the latest update from each game.

Please note that final scores can still be sent to me via text!

Last edited:
This year I'm going to try something different for the live scoreboard. Instead of text updates, which sometimes include a lot of unreadable (to most people) abbreviations and a little bit of unnecessary smack talk (unnecessary for the scoreboard, not for the site) I'm going to have it so that members can submit scores to games, by quarter, on each team's overview page.
I get why you're doing this, since a lot of folks weren't formatting it correctly, but can you clarify? It sounds like live updates won't be a thing and you can only submit scores at the end of each quarter?

I get why you're doing this, since a lot of folks weren't formatting it correctly, but can you clarify? It sounds like live updates won't be a thing and you can only submit scores at the end of each quarter?

No, you'll still be able to submit live score updates just like before, regardless of the time in the game. When I said "by quarter" I just meant that there will be a box to select what quarter the game is in when you submit. So, if you're submitting a score for the Westbrook/Knox City game, you'll simply go to one of those team pages and click "Submit score". That will bring up a box that lets you enter the score and choose the quarter. If we already have previous scores for that game, those fields will be automatically populated with the latest data we have, so you may only have to change one or two fields.

Alternatively, you'll be able to submit those directly on the live scoreboard page if you can find the game you're wanting to submit on there. The box will work the same way.

I'll add a box for time remaining in the quarter, too, but I likely won't make that field a required field because I don't want to deter folks from posting scores with it taking too long. The idea is to make this as easy as possible to submit live score updates, but also make it so that it's easier to view/find the scores you're looking for on that page.

Here's a look at what the live scoreboard page will look like this year, with the added time remaining in the quarter, but hopefully there will be more games listed. Ha!

Once you click the "Add score" button, a box will pop up where you'll enter the name of one of the teams you're adding a score for. When you submit that, it'll bring up the form to fill out to submit the score.

Also, rather than using that button, if you click anywhere inside one of these score boxes (other than directly on a team name, which will bring you to that team's page), it'll bring up the form to update the score for that game.

Again, for games that we already have live scoreboard info on, these fields will automatically be populated with the latest data so that you may only have to change a few fields.

screenshot.png

Last edited:
Weekly Pick 'em

Similar to what we had in the playoffs last year, and we'll definitely do it again for the playoffs this year, we're going to have a weekly pick 'em. The pick 'em will open every Sunday and close on either Tuesday night at midnight or sometime early Wednesday morning (I haven't quite decided which yet). So, each week you'll all have a chance to prove your six-man expertise.

I may have jumped the gun announcing this one in this post. Not that it won't get implemented this season, but it won't be implemented this week, or probably even next week. During testing I noticed a few things that I need to figure out how to make it work the way I'd like it to so I'm going to hold off on it until I think it's ready to go.

In the meantime, though, please don't forget about our weekly fan polls and, especially if you're a coach, don't forget to submit your team's best performers each week to the Player of the Week!

I may have jumped the gun announcing this one in this post. Not that it won't get implemented this season, but it won't be implemented this week, or probably even next week. During testing I noticed a few things that I need to figure out how to make it work the way I'd like it to so I'm going to hold off on it until I think it's ready to go.

In the meantime, though, please don't forget about our weekly fan polls and, especially if you're a coach, don't forget to submit your team's best performers each week to the Player of the Week!
Mike one thing I noticed on another site that had live scoring. Was the inability to show a pat as 2 points. Or a run for a pat as 1 point. I brought it to their attention but never heard anything from them. Granted this site deals mostly in 11 man at all divisions so I don’t think they understood the scoring system of six man .

Mike one thing I noticed on another site that had live scoring. Was the inability to show a pat as 2 points. Or a run for a pat as 1 point. I brought it to their attention but never heard anything from them. Granted this site deals mostly in 11 man at all divisions so I don’t think they understood the scoring system of six man .

There are buttons to increase and decrease the score for each team by 1. There are also buttons to increase by 2 and 6, which was requested by a member early this season.

Back