Need to Know "Six Man"

CoachGLenn

11-man fan
I am working on putting together a six man team for a middle school (seventh and eighth grade) and need to learn six man football, everything. I did not play HS football or coach football so I am REALLY starting from square one.

I am in need of materials, books, papers, and or DVD’s, with strategies, plays, anything to help me learn the six man system.

I am optimistic we will get the program started for the 2012-2013 school year and I do not want to be unprepared.

Thanks,
Coach Glenn.

Hey CoachGlenn, We'll loan rainjacktx to you at no cost. He knows everything about anything.
Good Luck starting the program. I'm sure some of the good people on here will be glad to assist you.

I'm not the best guy to answer your question, but get in touch with the Sixman Football Coaches Association. I know they put on clinics every year. If you start contacting some of the more successful coaches, (I'd wait until after the season is over), I bet a lot of them would be willing to talk to you.

Or, you could follow Smokey's advice. I don't know if RainyDayWoman can make you a better coach, but he can teach you how to PO everyone you see. Quickly.

Coach Glenn,

Give me a call and I will be happy to help you with any questions you have. I started a program from scratch and run a ministry with very little funding. We are in our 5th season and have had great success...praise the Lord!

Billy Helm
512-748-7931

Coach Glenn ... Find some of the leading programs ... public and private and ask for information they have and can share with you. It's mid-season and time might not be as readily available as in the off-season, but sixman coaches will share with you and help you learn. I'd have some specific questions for these guys on what can help you this season and then work on what you need to be a successful coach in 2012 and beyond.

Here's a plug ... we have DVD's of our 2010 clinic (we're still working on 2011); drop me a PM with your email and I'll send information. I think Jerry Burkhart may DVD his clinics as well ... You can get the DVD's of the UIL title games last year from UIL for about $15-20. Building a film library of quality programs is a wise use of time.

When Clyde Parham spoke at our clinic this summer, he said his playbook was available for the asking (he's at Sterling City) ... he has a simple base of several plays where you can build your offense.

Another plug ... plan to attend a clinic this spring or summer (we'll probably have the clinic here in Seguin again in June; Jerry has his in Richland Springs in May and I know Billy Helm has done a couple T-CAL clinics for multiple sports in the spring and summer as well; there's also the Texas Sixman convention in Lubbock every July. Nothing is better than spending a day or two with a bunch of coaches -- not only speakers, but the guys sitting in the chairs next to you and learning from them ...

Ordered “Six Man Football”, thanks for the link.

I will be contacting suppliers and coaches in the next few weeks.

Thanks to all the responses and PM’s.

-CoachGlenn

While this season is still going go to games. Actually watching the games live will give you a better "feel" for the game, especially the speed. If they have stands get up high as you can, as close to the 40 as possible & take notes. Use the map fuction on this site to locate games close to you. Try to find a couple of potentially "good" games, say two top 10's facing off. Then again watching a team get beat 60 + to 0 by the 1/2 will give you an interesting perspective on both winning & loosing like that. Take potential players/asst. coaches or urge them to go on their own. Have potential players start running extra wind sprints yesterday.

Wonderful advice on here. I came from an 11 man background and was shocked by the speed needed for 6man. I had no idea. A nosetackle in 11 man needs to be over 270 and who cares if they can run more than 10 yards, they will shut down the middle. That same nosetackle in 6 man will never be in on a play. Every position needs speed. I agree with all of the postings on here and especially the ones suggesting you go to some games. The game is approached entirely differently from 11 man. If you havent already, give Billy Helm a call. He helped us out immensely when we started up our program. The clinics in the spring are a must.

Best of luck to you and God Bless

Back