Need to build a track

techster2000

Six-man fan
I was wondering if anybody knew where I could get some cinder (like real small rocks and dirt, I believe Valley and Meadow have cinder tracks). We have a dirt track and I'd like to put down something that is easier to run on. Something that grass won't grow in preferably. Also, need to get it for REAL cheap or free would be best. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. We are near Lubbock.

That's a tall order for free....
You will need:
1. Someone with a dump truck
2. Someone with a stone grinder
3. A good source of old brick...is someone demolishing a big project
- look at a demolishing company in your area (Lubbock)

my HS track was made up of ground up grey lava rock, then packed tight with a roller. a well-maintained cinder track is the best kind there is. the last I knew La Junta, CO hosted track meets on their cinder track - may be able to get some info from them.

I'm definitely not a track guy but have you looked into decomposed granite? We use it on driveways, walkways etc. and it works well. If you want more info on cost, pm me and I'll get you in contact with some sources.

In my older days, if you ran on a cinder track, you didn't want to be a hurdler. If you fell, that meant the coach would douse you with Nitrotan. That was like sliding down a razor blade into a vat of alcohol. That's what they had in old Memorial Stadium in Austin.

got spiked by the incoming runner on my first relay as a 7th grader - still have cinder in my knee, hip & elbow. you're right - very painful to take a forward roll on

Back