Most Anticipated Games of 2022

@jamwash, I bet you a coke Leakey does not win district next year. They graduated a lot and lost to Medina last year.

Otherwise, great posts!

Just my personal opinion, Menard and Garden City could set the tone for the Yellowjackets. After the spanking in week one, A win against GC could propel Menard down the track to a successful transition to Sixman. A loss may bring out the 11 man “I told you so” ’ers.
I saw Menard play 11-man last year, and they were big and slow. Their one fast guy, #25, was a senior. Best case scenario, Menard has the #1 rushing attack in 6-man but gives up a 100 points a game.

I saw Menard play 11-man last year, and they were big and slow. Their one fast guy, #25, was a senior. Best case scenario, Menard has the #1 rushing attack in 6-man but gives up a 100 points a game.
I saw them as well and I agree with you. The biggest question for me would be their defense but they knew they were moving to 6 man for months now. I believe they'll be faster but we'll see

I saw them as well and I agree with you. The biggest question for me would be their defense but they knew they were moving to 6 man for months now. I believe they'll be faster but we'll see

Who has had the best transition record wise in their 1st year dropping down from 11 man to 6 man?

Who has had the best transition record wise in their 1st year dropping down from 11 man to 6 man?
I am going to guess Throckmorton, but some schools stay 11-man for awhile even after they drop into 1A. Menard has been 1A for maybe 5 years now and only has 86 kids currently.

It would be neat to see a real 2A school drop, choose to play 6-man immediately, hire a top notch coach, and embrace the sport. Can you imagine having a team with 22 players that all got playing time in 11-man? That would be amazing for depth/development purposes vs traditional 6-man schools.

Burkeville is first year six-man and I think they had a winning year last year in 11 so all games they play. Second week is Union Hill and fifth is Calvert. They only have four games listed on their schedule.

I think Ft. Davis and Valley both began sixman the same year. Ft Davis beat Valley in overtime (my first overtime to witness in person) in the regionals or maybe in the semifinals, on their way to the state game.

From the Fence:
Have to say the most anticipated games should be district games for me, although yes i am excited for any game really as long as its on the ol' 80x40. First 4 or 5 games sometimes 6 games in smaller districts are there to build the team and see where they stand. There are some awesome matches early in the season and I'm looking forward to seeing as many as I can.
Now you all know or will realize shortly I am a Wildcat Fan/Dad from Westbrook. I am biased for my team and kids 100%.
Westbrook proved last year the first 6 games get you where you need to be to make the district/playoff run. You work through injuries, you fill holes and you grind to be better than you were last week. It is good to see more teams running the gauntlet of pre-district games this year. Schedules are loaded with great matchups but believe me only us Wildcat Faithful believed what would happen last year after such a turbulent start to the season!!!
To be the best, you have to beat the best. And to beat the best you have to be standing on the sidelines of Jerry's World in December. And 11-4 is a whole lot better record than 14-1 when you're wearing a State Championship Ring!!!

These are the games I’m most anticipated about. I know some games aren’t up on the schedule, so I’m only going on the ones that are there.

Week 1 - Westbrook vs Happy: could be the rematch of the Semifinals

Week 2 - Irion County vs Benjamin: both should be 1-0 both should be ranked in the top 10 in their respective divisions

Week 3 - Rankin vs Westbrook / Strawn vs Gordon: I bet there’s still a salty taste in the Red Devil’s mouth and hopefully the game will be recorded by the Red Devil’s Network. Also Strawn-Gordon because it’s Strawn-Gordon

Week 4 - Garden City vs May: this one I may have to go to if I can

Week 5 - Van Horn vs Rankin / Garden City vs Westbrook: hate that I’m saying the same teams but goodness these games would be great

Week 6 - Leakey vs Irion County: could be looking at two district champs playing each other before district play

Week 7 - Cherokee vs Richland Springs: District championship in the first week of district? I think so

Week 8 - Eden vs Irion County / May vs Lometa: with three solid teams in each district, these two games are important to a playoff berth. These could be the four teams playing in the regional quarterfinals against each other

Week 9 - Blackwell vs Loraine / Valley vs Spur / Hermleigh vs Westbrook: I see these as three district championship games

Week 10 - May vs Jonesboro: this is the game people are going to pay attention to. Potentially a regional final game

Week 11 - Garden City vs Rankin / Eden vs Menard / Ira vs Hermleigh: all three of these games can either be district championship games or win and your in the playoffs. Plus playing a rival on the final week wouldn’t hurt anyone
Regardless of talent, rankings, or records, the Richland Springs and Cherokee school rivalry is always a barn burner. 2 seasons ago, Richland Springs won 84-80. According to 2022 Preseason rankings (per Dave Campbell), Richland Springs is ranked 4th. Cherokee is ranked 10th. I am 100% positive that that team from San Saba County will win.

Regardless of talent, rankings, or records, the Richland Springs and Cherokee school rivalry is always a barn burner. 2 seasons ago, Richland Springs won 84-80. According to 2022 Preseason rankings (per Dave Campbell), Richland Springs is ranked 4th. Cherokee is ranked 10th. I am 100% positive that that team from San Saba County will win.
This district game will again be a good and exciting one for San Saba County fans. RS is strong again for this next season (stronger than last season). Cherokee has some really good players and may possibly get stronger before the season starts. My prediction is that the Indians will enter the playoffs as the district’s second place team. The second meeting of the two San Saba County teams should be a real barn burner! Probably will be played at Rogan Field since, more than likely, the Armadillos will already have the roundballs out by then.

I think Ft. Davis and Valley both began sixman the same year. Ft Davis beat Valley in overtime (my first overtime to witness in person) in the regionals or maybe in the semifinals, on their way to the state game.
That was their 2nd year of Sixman for both teams. Both made playoffs in their 1st year as well.

It seems to be, Throckmorton. Their 1st season in Sixman, was in 2004. They made a Semifinal run that year. And the following year (05), they won State.

Throckmorton was the best as far as first year. Valley went 6man I know for a fact happened in the 2000-2001 season

From the Fence:
Have to say the most anticipated games should be district games for me, although yes i am excited for any game really as long as its on the ol' 80x40. First 4 or 5 games sometimes 6 games in smaller districts are there to build the team and see where they stand. There are some awesome matches early in the season and I'm looking forward to seeing as many as I can.
Now you all know or will realize shortly I am a Wildcat Fan/Dad from Westbrook. I am biased for my team and kids 100%.
Westbrook proved last year the first 6 games get you where you need to be to make the district/playoff run. You work through injuries, you fill holes and you grind to be better than you were last week. It is good to see more teams running the gauntlet of pre-district games this year. Schedules are loaded with great matchups but believe me only us Wildcat Faithful believed what would happen last year after such a turbulent start to the season!!!
To be the best, you have to beat the best. And to beat the best you have to be standing on the sidelines of Jerry's World in December. And 11-4 is a whole lot better record than 14-1 when you're wearing a State Championship Ring!!!
I saw Westbrook twice last year and I 100% agree that 11-4 doesn't tell the full story of how good that team was. I remember at the state game, I was calling Westbrook "the best 4 loss team ever"

This district game will again be a good and exciting one for San Saba County fans. RS is strong again for this next season (stronger than last season). Cherokee has some really good players and may possibly get stronger before the season starts. My prediction is that the Indians will enter the playoffs as the district’s second place team. The second meeting of the two San Saba County teams should be a real barn burner! Probably will be played at Rogan Field since, more than likely, the Armadillos will already have the roundballs out by then.
Hopefully I can go to the district game and the regional final game if it happens and at Rogan Field

Best transition from 11 man to 6 man, without question, would be Jayton, 1984 and 1985 teams. Played 11man in 1983, moved to 6 man the next year, went undefeated and won back to back state titles their first two years in 6 man. Trey Richey, head coach at Borden County, played on those teams and was a huge part of their success.
Just my opinion mind you, but I don't see and haven't seen any other teams make the transition and achieve success that quickly since then.

Best transition from 11 man to 6 man, without question, would be Jayton, 1984 and 1985 teams. Played 11man in 1983, moved to 6 man the next year, went undefeated and won back to back state titles their first two years in 6 man. Trey Richey, head coach at Borden County, played on those teams and was a huge part of their success.
Just my opinion mind you, but I don't see and haven't seen any other teams make the transition and achieve success that quickly since then.
I’d say Throckmorton would be a close second then.

Back