Major Change Coming (a roadmap)

Mike

Six-man master
Administrator
I'm going to try to keep you all updated on what's happening, before it happens, so you're not completely blown away with any changes that I'm going to make. So, I thought I'd take a few minutes to explain what's coming next.

Scheduler

Right now I'm re-writing the scheduler. Getting schedules input is the most important part of the site, as far as the back-end goes. If I don't know a game exists, then the rankings, standings, maps, and just about everything else will be wrong too. So, right now, that has to be done first.

It won't be much different, as far as the front end goes. All of the same data will still need to be input. The biggest change is that I hope to have it styled to match the boards. I also hope to have it working much better on mobile devices.

Boards/Forums

Once the scheduler is re-written, it will be time to move on to converting the forums over to a different software. For those familiar with the different forum software, we'll be switching over to XenForo (https://xenforo.com/community/).

This will be a very quick process, which I should be able to do in under an hour. I've already converted it a few times on a test server and I don't see any issues so far.

XenForo will be quite a bit different from what we have now. It will look different and work different. It might take a little bit to get familiar with, but I think once everyone figures it out you'll like it much better.

Once the forums are converted is when I'll install the new version of the scheduler. That's also when you'll start to slowly see other parts of the site get updated, and tied into the new site.

Rankings

Once the scheduler and forums are both finished, that's when I'll start working on getting the rankings going. Hopefully by then we'll have most, if not all, of the schedules submitted. This might be a bumpy road for a little while, at least until I get a handle on how everything works, but after that it should be smooth sailing.

Timeline

As far as a timeline for all of this to happen, I really can't say for certain because there are a lot of things that go into it. The amount of time I have to sit around coding, the number of unforeseen problems I run into. There's really just no way to be certain when this will all happen. My goal is by the end of the month, but my hope is by the end of this week. Keep in mind that it's quite possible that I don't reach either of those. It really just depends...

So, there's a little rundown of what to expect in the coming weeks, or months, or however long it takes. If you have any suggestions, questions, concerns, or anything else, feel free to PM me anytime.

Just as a head's up, some of these changes will be done tomorrow. As I work on this throughout the day tomorrow, the site will be experiencing moments where some, or all, of the site's pages quit working temporarily.

At one point tomorrow the message boards will be offline for up to an hour while all the data is converted.

I'll make another post in this thread when all of tomorrow's updates are finished.

The boards, and the scheduler, have both been upgraded successfully, at least as far as I can tell. Please, if you have any issues with either shoot me a PM and I'll work to get it fixed as soon as possible.

I'll now begin working on the rankings, score pages, and other portions of the site to better tie them in with the rest of what we've got going on here.

Again, any questions/comments/concerns, please let me know and I'll look into it.

Very quickly, a few things I forgot to mention.
  1. I've added a new media gallery for uploading images of your game-night activities. There are several different categories to choose from.
  2. This style/theme/design is likely not going to be the permanent look for the site. I'll be tweaking things as we go to make it look better, overall, and to make certain things more visible. If you have any suggestions on that please let me know.

Back