Let's see how this plays out this year in the 6 man playoffs

justobserving

11-man fan
I am always interested to see the outcome of the matches between District Winners and District Runner Ups. I have made no secret that I don't really care for ( hate actually ) the two teams from a District format. I know, I know old fashioned and outdated thinking that the winner is the winner and everyone else is the loser and there is next year for them to try and be winners. Now 3 teams per district is being considered - to me that is beyond absurd. This years trend is not unlike other years. Why do we have these games (98-99% of the time) ?

So far:

Division I ...
3 games

__ District Winners total wins ... 3
__ District Runner ups total wins ... 0

2 games decided by 45 points or more. One by 6.

Division II ...
1 game

__ District Winners total wins ... 1
__ District Runner ups total wins ... 0

1 game decided by 54 points.

i am from the old school too but any friday night i get to see a sixman football game is great so i dont care if they all go. i would like it if they played year around to me its tons better than basketball golf tennis etc.. well i do like powerlifting, and track....
just how i feel

i agree with u ofb, 4 team districts make for weak 2nd place teams in most districs. 6 teams would be good, and strengthen the playoff matchups.

I agree, I'm not even opposed to a 7 or 8 team district. I think that would make the playoff field a little stronger, even if they took 3 (which I am NOT advocating). 71 d1 teams/10 districts = 7 teams per district, I've even got a model ready for it.

Just a note here and something to watch. The winner of the DI game decided by 6 points was the District Champion - ranked 30th in the state. The second place team from that District is ranked 40th. The spread on the game against their District Winner opponent tonight is 96 points. That is an 12 touchdown spread counting all two point conversions. Even worse sounding is that 16 touchdown spread with no extra points. They would be a 50 pt. + underdog to 24 teams in the state. Why is this game being played ?

I am not pointing this out to be demeaning or disparaging to any team but facts or facts. This looks to be a track meet that you hope no one gets hurt in....

Some of these games are just plain wrong to even play. IMHO

hornkeeper12":1b3x78q6 said:
I agree, I'm not even opposed to a 7 or 8 team district. I think that would make the playoff field a little stronger, even if they took 3 (which I am NOT advocating). 71 d1 teams/10 districts = 7 teams per district, I've even got a model ready for it.

Care to share the model? I am curious as what our District would look like. Interesting idea!!!

Districts are not set up for anyone’s entertainment to start off with and with small schools just a few players can mean the difference in 20 ranking positions easily… if it’s such a problem why don’t you wait till the semi’s to watch. I know several years back I think that Garden City, Rankin, Ft. Davis were all in the 10-12 and one had to stay home,, Zephyr, Rochelle, and Santa Anna this year were all there together in one district and the top in their region too.

I could have sworn I posted in here yesterday afternoon. Obviously I was wrong.

Regardless -

Why are there three teams from each of the 11-man districts making the playoffs? Why will the UIL be crowning 12 - yes, TWELVE - different state champions next month?

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Ferris Bueller?

One word. 5 letters. M-O-N-E-Y.

rainjacktx":qgtab99s said:
I could have sworn I posted in here yesterday afternoon. Obviously I was wrong.

Regardless -

Why are there three teams from each of the 11-man districts making the playoffs? Why will the UIL be crowning 12 - yes, TWELVE - different state champions next month?

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Ferris Bueller?

One word. 5 letters. M-O-N-E-Y.

[SARCASM FONT ON] I can't believe anyone would think the UIL or any other government entity would stoop so low. We all know they are here to provide for our children. It's not like the UIL gets a cut of the gate at all the playoff games. [SARCASM FONT OFF]

Have the stats run on the Runner Up Wins, Scores and percentages. Will get those posted. Some interesting numbers. Of course these are short the Gordon / Zepher game slated for tonight.

Nothing in the stats to change my mind in the least….

Stats on 31 games. First round 2012.

27 wins by District Champions 4 wins by Runner Ups.

86 % of all games both divisions won by District Champions

_Per game Division I average difference in score … 42.3 points … 7 touchdown margin
_Per game Division II average difference in score … 35.5 points … 6 touchdown margin
_Per Game Average difference in score for both divisions … 39 points … 6+ touchdown margin

16 (52%) of all games were by 45 points or more.

Division I … 15 games

13 wins by District Winners … 2 wins by Runner ups
_7 games decided by 45 points or more
_2 games decided by 38 points or more
_4 games decided by 6 to 9 points

Division II … 16 games

14 wins by District Winners … 2 wins by Runner ups
_9 games decided by 45 points or more
_4 games decided by 26 points or more
_1 game decided by 5 points

So with these numbers why is it we play these games? I am sorry, with the just 14% of the Runner Up Teams that win it is just not worth the time - expense - and IMHO the compromising injury chances presented by these predominately totally mismatched games.

TheAmericanDream":1z25c6y7 said:
How many runner ups do you see getting past this round?

As it turns out … 2 of the Runner ups end up playing each other so 1 will advance - Petersburg vs Grady - Petersburg should be around a 30 point favorite according to the TOY.

Runner Up Balmorhea should be around a 20 pt favorite over Loraine

Runner Up Jayton will go in around a 30+ pt underdog to Strawn.

Of course this is again leaving out the results of Gordon/Zephyr

Just a thought on those second place teams.

Look back at past state champions and see how many have went on to win state after coming out of district as the runner up. I have not looked at it yet but I can name two state championships that happened that way.

Strawn Greyhounds, both of theirs. Both times they won state they lost to Gordon for the district championships. In 2008 they ended up meeting Gordon int he playoffs and won that game. Take out the 2nd place teams and you take all of Strawn's state championships away from them.

Has there been any other second place teams win state?

My freshman year at Gordon was the last year of only the district champion going to the playoffs. I personally do not like the small districts, I agree we should go back to 6 to 8 team districts and then send the top 2 to the playoffs.

Just my buck fifty worth of opinion. (I know, in this economy a buck fifty won't get you much, and it did not get you much here either. LOL)

Andy

Several guys have eluded to 7-8 team districts. To me this sounds good on the surface but what does that involve with travel and then trying to schedule non district games that aren't 300 miles away ?

I just can't for the life of me figure out what is wrong with - 1 team wins … everyone else is 2nd • 3rd • 4th • 5th • 6th • 7th or 8th and you're not #1 therefore you start Basketball. Your next football game is next year when you begin your quest to be #1 and everyone else is 2nd loser.

Like I have said I know I am not in the "politically correct" majority and not part of the "feel good" police but is there nothing to be said for just having winners and losers and learning to deal with it ?

I did this check of District Winners and Runner Up games a few years ago and if I remember correctly the figures were even worse for the Runner Ups.

I know it isn't going to be changed - I just hope it doesn't get worse with the 3 team format.

I saw a 2A 2nd and 3rd place matchup last Friday, what a fiasco - could have been a 50 point spread if one coach hadn't been nice..

Back