Let's Pick em

Let me add my two cents worth on this issue. But first let me congratulate both teams on a well played game. It's too bad somebody has to lose a game like that. But, unfortunately this isn't soccer where it can end in a tie, or should I say fortunately this isn't soccer.
I know this is a bitter pill to swallow for the Notre Dame players and staff but, let me tell you this. It is the coaching staff's responsibility to make sure that the players are aware of the clock and down. I know that in the frantic closing seconds of a close game and especially one that will determine who goes to state things can get away from us. But for fans or players to put the blame on the chain crew is just wrong. The sideline ref should have done his job to make sure the down marker was changed. The coaches on the sideline should have made sure this was done also. But to blame the chain crew? I can't buy that. The players should have known, especially one that is as well coached as them. Let's all try to take a breath and accept the outcome instead of trying to put blame on someone other than who is truly at fault. Again, I want to congratulate both teams on a super season!!!!

Godsmightywarrior":3enywdba said:
Just FYI: Here is a link to the last two scores and then the last few plays of the game. The scoreboard definitely said 2nd down.

http://www.newschannel6now.com/category ... Start=true

No doubt that's correct. But the NCAA rules are clear:

The chain crew on the sideline keeps track of the official down and distance whether or not the scoreboard is operational. From the evidence I've seen, the chain crew was doing their job.

We instituted an athletic policy a few years ago that during all playoff games, all game officials will be hired from a neutral chapter (unless we are playing neutral site and the host site is providing the chain crew). For volleyball, that includes line judges, and for football that includes chain crew. It costs you some extra $$, but it's well worth it to not have this type of discussion. It also keeps the sidelines clean...no fans, just players, officials, and coaching staff's.

Nevertheless, congratulations to both Freddy and Lifegate. Two very deserving programs vying for the title, this year. Certainly feel for ND, as I thought they had a great team this year.

John, don't know if you guys use this song or not for your pregame, our kids loved it...as a fellow Falcon, thought I would share with you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkAsQQJ1mRM

lifegatesports":iylv7wyt said:
Godsmightywarrior":iylv7wyt said:
Just FYI: Here is a link to the last two scores and then the last few plays of the game. The scoreboard definitely said 2nd down.

http://www.newschannel6now.com/category ... Start=true

No doubt that's correct. But the NCAA rules are clear:

The chain crew on the sideline keeps track of the official down and distance whether or not the scoreboard is operational. From the evidence I've seen, the chain crew was doing their job.

I understand the rules and with my previous comments on another thread I stated that ultimately, it is up to the players awareness and coaching staff's communication on every down. It was questioned in another post whether the scoreboard had 2nd down. I was just providing a link to verify that fact. I do not place any blame on the chain crew. It was unfortunate that the ref didn't see the issues and have them corrected.

Notre Dame made some uncharacteristic mistakes that game - a fumble, dropped passes, a high snap on an extra point, an extra point hitting the post, and a narrowly missed FG, cramps in 2 of our hosses. The coaches weren't used to close games and should have said "it's 3rd down, run play X, and if we don't get it, hustle back and run play Y." I can handle all of that, those were our errors. We shouldn't have let them get close in the 2nd half and the chain gang/scoreboard wouldn't have mattered.

Heritage played well and caused some of our errors. I can handle that. They're a great team.

What will stay in my mind for years is the question of what if they saw 4th down and ran one last play? Instead they saw an opportunity to spike the ball and then have one last play, but that was wrong... something that neither team controlled, but was human error.

One of the dad's took photos of the score board (2nd down) and the down marker box (2nd down) after the game. LIfegate said the film showed 3rd down, I haven't seen our film yet. Our side remembered seeing 2nd, Newschannel 6 reported an error as well. It's over, but this so called "crow" I'm eating tastes fishy.

Slappy":2knx46p1 said:
Notre Dame made some uncharacteristic mistakes that game - a fumble, dropped passes, a high snap on an extra point, an extra point hitting the post, and a narrowly missed FG, cramps in 2 of our hosses. The coaches weren't used to close games and should have said "it's 3rd down, run play X, and if we don't get it, hustle back and run play Y." I can handle all of that, those were our errors. We shouldn't have let them get close in the 2nd half and the chain gang/scoreboard wouldn't have mattered.

Heritage played well and caused some of our errors. I can handle that. They're a great team.

What will stay in my mind for years is the question of what if they saw 4th down and ran one last play? Instead they saw an opportunity to spike the ball and then have one last play, but that was wrong... something that neither team controlled, but was human error.

One of the dad's took photos of the score board (2nd down) and the down marker box (2nd down) after the game. LIfegate said the film showed 3rd down, I haven't seen our film yet. Our side remembered seeing 2nd, Newschannel 6 reported an error as well. It's over, but this so called "crow" I'm eating tastes fishy.

The fourth down play was not on the film; the 3rd down play was correctly marked on the down box.

But hey, the game is played by people. Heck, high school kids. Perfection ain't something we achieve very often.

And yes, from years of experience, Heritage makes you make mistakes. They just have that ability.

It is tough ... sometimes you have a team so talented in comparison to your opponents but all you have to find is that day when you're not at the top of your game and a decent team is on the other side of the ball. Sounds that's like what happened in Zephyr last weekend. I kinda hope it doesn't happen two weeks in a row, but I think our coaches and players walk into any game with Heritage knowing that they will get a serious test.

Congratulations to the Knights. 9-1 with a two point loss in a semi-final game isn't that bad of a season.

I guess that's why we play each game - sports are awesome - thrill of victory and the agony of defeat make for great life lessons.
It still sucks to lose.

Slappy":iyxb1n3m said:
I guess that's why we play each game - sports are awesome - thrill of victory and the agony of defeat make for great life lessons.
It still sucks to lose.

Yeah, we've been there before, too ... losing ain't a whole lotta fun.

lifegatesports":3jbzc1j1 said:
pup":3jbzc1j1 said:
What's up in District 4?
Coaches? What are y'all doing within your district to build such solid teams?

I guess we got a whole bunch of biblically-based coaches:

As iron sharpens iron,
so one person sharpens another.

Prov. 27:17

THIS is why I love TAPPS and the coaches that are involved. And congratulations to the Falcons.
TexDoc

Back