Let's Pick em

Seguin Lifegate Christian over Orange Community Christian by 44

Wichita Falls Notre Dame Catholic over Fredericksburg Heritage by 19

Heath Fulton played ND better than what the final score shows - kudos to them. They had great pass coverage and an enviable triple option offense. WFND defense created opportunities and the coaches did a good job adapting the offense to what the defense was giving them. Plus speed with size/strength wears out a team with only speed.

Freddy and Seguin Lifegate are both gonna be tough. I thought the Seguin/Granbury game would be telling. All it told me was that a matchup betwixt ND and Seguin would be a classic if ND wins this weekend. Go Knights!

Slappy":1z6qff0v said:
Heath Fulton played ND better than what the final score shows - kudos to them. They had great pass coverage and an enviable triple option offense. WFND defense created opportunities and the coaches did a good job adapting the offense to what the defense was giving them. Plus speed with size/strength wears out a team with only speed.

Freddy and Seguin Lifegate are both gonna be tough. I thought the Seguin/Granbury game would be telling. All it told me was that a matchup betwixt ND and Seguin would be a classic if ND wins this weekend. Go Knights!

Slappy, I agree...the ND-Heath game was a pretty good game, other than the 3rd quarter. I think the score was 8-8 for a very long time in the 1st quarter, and 30-8 at half. It easily could have been at least at half had Fulton not turned the ball over...very uncharacteristic of the team all year. Props to ND for being ball hawks on defense. Having watched ND and Freddy both in person, I would think ND would win by 20 if they play like they did Saturday against Fulton. Freddy is a better defensive team than Fulton, and Fulton had success against the ND spread, ND killed them with I-formation though..#25 and #20 are both great backs. I thought they did a decent job in the first half of containing #25, but not #20 in the running game or #99 in the passing game. Freddy would be able to stop much of what Fulton could not in I-form if you asked me. The 3rd quarter, ND showed it's depth advantage, and #25 is hands down the best back that I've seen this year...that kid simply doesn't quit running...that includes many D1 games. ND is a great team, pure and simple, and showed it last weekend.

If Orange is the same team that they had last year against Fulton in the opening round, or anywhere similar...I think Lifegate 45's them at half or early 3rd. Haven't seen either in person, but #27 on Lifegate sure has some cool youtube clips.

In a meeting with ND and Lifegate, I think it will be a GREAT game. But we, shall see...

Since I'm the Fulton apologist on here, there are, like I said at the beginning of the season, a year away from really contending. They've only had a real program going for the past 5 years, and a middle school program for only 2 years. That is going to work well for them next year I beleive. The middle school team has 4 extremely good players coming up. One is the younger brother of #5, Todd Treadway, who I would contend is the best spreadback in the state in Div II TAPPS at least. His little brother is a better athlete, already. Saw him put up 10 Td's and between 500 and 600 yards in that game.

Let's count the quality teams HF has played- Azle beat them by 20, in a game Azle didn't really do too well in
HF impressed me playing Lucas Christian in about a 10 point win,
In district they 45'd a very beaten up Longview trinity, and their other district foe Mckinney has not been impressive this year and was kinda beat up also.
High Point Prep beat them.
I missed the Town East playoff game.
And then came the monster ND..
I believe HF has the potential to be a very good team, however, their coaching staff has to stop padding stats in the win column. Play some quality games in season. They played a total of 4 winning teams in season. I can't blame them for the district games as Longview was pretty hurt obviously and I believe 2 or three teams canceled their seasons.

Loveofgame- Your statement "ND was the first team they played all year" is what I am calling attention to. First of all, by your own admission, you said that you didn't see the Town East game so that was a slap in the face of my boys, ask any team that we played this year and they will tell you that we weren't a push over by any means. Then you slam teams like Lucas, Azle, and High Point by saying they aren't "quality teams". Then you make excuses saying that Longview wasn't at full strength when they played them. Well, that's part of football. We played the whole season that way. We don't make excuses, we just play. I am not sure why someone feels the need to come on to a sixman forum under the guise of anonymity to bash other teams. But hey, whatever floats your boat.

I'm not bashing on anybody, nor making excuses, I don't have a dog in this fight so to say, it's just an observation. I've watched HF quite a few times this here as I'm in the area and I was just disappointed in their schedule. With their spread back they have, they have a shot to be a good time, but it's going themselves no favors by scheduling teams who consistently are on the losing side. Quit padding stats, and play some real games.

At Loveofgame. I agree with tepryde. Take a hike. Lucas wins titles, acs huge trophy case, gcs known to have a good program, west lake won 7 or 8 games, town east solid team, HP state contender. My cousin was at summit who they were a decent five hundred ball club in 11man last year. Assuming they went d1 you my say this is a tough week 0 game.. Charles did a great job at cp summit back in 2011. Bloomburg and wcs are struggling teams. You act like hf has won 5 state title and need to strength their schedule. Get a grip brother. Sca, acs,west lake, Lucas,Greenville ch, wcs, bloomb, tst, mck, HP, twn east.

FYI. YOU CAN'T pads stats when you beat some teams by 45 wise guy. Or mr I'm a smart guy

For all you folks who were hyping all those north teams ...

Get your fresh roast crow dinners here! Get your fresh roast crow dinners here!

It's Heritage (sixth trip to the finals, 5-0 in prev finals) vs Lifegate (first time to finals) next week at noon at Zephyr.

I'm not surprised by Seguin making the finals, I figured they would. However, ND getting knocked out I didn't think I would see. I honestly thought they would 45, or close to 45 Freddy, and beat Seguin by 20ish in the finals. Good game Freddy and congrats, wish I could have watched it.

What's up in District 4? What are they doing that no one else is doing?

You've got Freddy and Seguin in the Division II finals. Who would have picked that one?

Then in the Division I finals you have a former District 4 team in Boerne Geneva.

Coaches? What are y'all doing within your district to build such solid teams?

I've only heard a little bit about the Freddy/ND game, basically that Notre Dame built a big lead in the second quarter and that Heritage chipped it away in the second half. I will be extremely interested in seeing that film. I was telling folks that although Notre Dame was the favorite, I wouldn't count Freddy out of that game.

Occasionally, I'm right. Well, I'm never right when I argue with my wife but let's move on.

And yes, seriously, Coach Rabon and Coach Shipman will be meeting today to exchange film. And, my guess, to shoot the breeze and all sorts of other stuff. We offered them the Freddy/Lifegate film, but they said they already had it...

While Lifegate has a win in week 9 over Heritage, I'd forget that. Heritage remains a solid team. I expect them to make adjustments to try and even up the score. Lifegate should be the favorite, but like I say, games are played on the turf, not paper. Granger has Lifegate as a two point favorite. Thats 2 as in 1, 2. Says something about a team that lost to their next opponent by 39 just four weeks ago is now only a 2 point underdog, especially when the favorite has done nothing but win those four weeks as well.

As to what woulda, shoulda, coulda happened in a Lifegate/Notre Dame game, well, I'm not sure Notre Dame would have won by 20. But we aren't gonna know (see A. statement above re: games played on turf, not paper and B. statement in previous post, offering the roast crow dinners).

As to what we were doing in our district, well ... we were focusing on playing decent football. We've had the state champion (Heritage) there five of the last eight years. That makes everybody stronger. Maybe Lifegate, Geneva and Heritage will all get together on Friday night in Brownwood and have a nice campfire weenie roast ...

Loveofgame-Really? That's real juvenile. Don't get upset when no one on this board takes what you have to say seriously in the future.

Freddy played a great game. Good players and great coaching. They just didn't give up and busted their butts on every play. I give great credit to them.

The bad taste in my mouth came from the final seconds. ND got to the 10 yard line with time running out and down by 2. There was a time out, then officials time out to fix the clock, and the standard confusion of a high stakes game. After a running play to the 10, it was 4th down. However, our QB looked at either the scoreboard or more probably the down marker (since that was near the coach) - both said 2nd down. He spiked the ball with .9 seconds left - it was really 4th down. Game over.

Would it have made a difference? Who knows. But we could have ran (improvised) another play and now we're just left to dwell on it.

The chain gang was from Heritage. I'm sure it was an honest mistake from being caught up in a thrilling game (forgetting the down marker). Bottom line is if you're volunteering to do a job in a big game, do the J-O-B first and foremost. Simple mistakes can have unseen consequences.

http://www.timesrecordnews.com/news/201 ... otre-dame/

Link to the Wichita Falls article. It talks about the QB's confusion.

Not sure if this works, but my standard operating procedure in small school six man playoff football (where it really is a difference between losing lots of money and a little bit of money) re: chain crews is this.

Each school brings two people to run the chain crew. When you get there, the four people can determine who does what (you can use all four, with the fourth to clip the chain at the marked line or just pick three). That means both schools have people on the chain crew.

Oh, and here's the Lifegate story. Again, an excellent editing job by my friend, Tucker Stephenson, the sports editor. I forgot to tell him, I quit. He's gotta write it next week.

http://seguingazette.com/sports/article ... f887a.html

It was really neat to get back to Lifegate around 6:30 - 7 last night to see attached to the Lifegate church/school sign along the farm-to-market road outside of the school, someone had bungee-corded a sign: "State Championship - LCS vs Fredericksburg - Sat., Dec. 8 at Noon, Zephyr HS, Go Falcons!" I gotta get a picture of that.

pup":1girnrcg said:
What's up in District 4?
Coaches? What are y'all doing within your district to build such solid teams?

I guess we got a whole bunch of biblically-based coaches:

As iron sharpens iron,
so one person sharpens another.

Prov. 27:17

Defendant: Heritage chain crew

Charge: Wrong down on the box

Verdict: Not Guilty

We had a chance to see the Heritage/ND game film last night. Because of the quickness of the fourth down play, that play wasn't filmed. But the previous play was filmed.

(Hint to those filming any game: Bring extra memory cards and a power cord or extra batteries to games; use the power cord if you can. Keep the camera running from first kickoff to final whistle, and get an occasional shot of the scoreboard, especially after a score or before the start of a quarter. Oh, and shoot wide. Get as much of the formations, offense and defense as you can. That's what coaches are looking for.)

And the down box, although not as sharp as you'd like, says "3". Would be tough for me to say that it went back to 2 for the next play.

The scoreboard may have said 2. But the scoreboard down/yards to go/etc. isn't official. And it's not only the job of the chain crew to have it right, but the official on that sideline to be checking, especially late in the game.

But a tough way to end it either way.

Back