Leakey

MilfordInsider":2fni6jdp said:
Johnny South":2fni6jdp said:
MilfordInsider":2fni6jdp said:
If Leaky beats Milford I’ll never post on here again

Promises, Promises! You say that every year!
Every game I say that Milford wins so...

Didn't you say that same thing a few years ago when Dez Buckaloo was the best athlete and spreadback in the Six-man world?

Texlonghorn75":2vm1perp said:
Cavemaan73":2vm1perp said:
Leakey boys are mostly small and fast. A few have some size. They have the ability to turn a bad start to a play into something great. They can pass well and they can run also. These boys give it all they have the whole game. Against a so called powerhouse team? We will see at the end of the night next Friday. I'm really glad to see sixman expanding to that part of the state. It is also great to see a first year team move that far into the ranks.
I believe everyone involved with and fans of six man football are thrilled to see Leakey, Medina and surrounding schools joining the six man ranks. The more teams, the more competition, and the more young men getting to participate in a great sport. I would like to see more of those basketball only schools add six man to their athletic programs.

it would be nice to see Knippa, Utopia, Tilden, and Comstock get back into football again now that there are more 6 man schools near them.

Utopia from what we hear did not to go to sixman because of the expense of setting up the program. People in the area say the kids just aren't into sports anymore. Girls golf seems to be a big hit there. Comstock should be right on the edge of going sixman. I'm not sure about the southern towns. The oil boom down there has increase populations. Sabinal has been a powerhouse for a few years.

Old Bearkat":1af13lmb said:
Texlonghorn75":1af13lmb said:
Cavemaan73":1af13lmb said:
Leakey boys are mostly small and fast. A few have some size. They have the ability to turn a bad start to a play into something great. They can pass well and they can run also. These boys give it all they have the whole game. Against a so called powerhouse team? We will see at the end of the night next Friday. I'm really glad to see sixman expanding to that part of the state. It is also great to see a first year team move that far into the ranks.
I believe everyone involved with and fans of six man football are thrilled to see Leakey, Medina and surrounding schools joining the six man ranks. The more teams, the more competition, and the more young men getting to participate in a great sport. I would like to see more of those basketball only schools add six man to their athletic programs.

it would be nice to see Knippa, Utopia, Tilden, and Comstock get back into football again now that there are more 6 man schools near them.

Believe it or not, Knippa will be 2A after the next alignment. While Utopia could play if they wanted to, Comstock would have a MAJOR problem as to what district you put them in. If they go with the Trans-Pecos teams, Dell City and Sierra Blanca are about 6 to 8 hours from Comstock without factoring in the mountain time zone. Since there are so few teams out there, I could see a DII district with Comstock, Sanderson, Dell City, Sierra Blanca, and maybe Grandfalls/Buena Vista. The Uvalde schools minus Nucese Canyon are like 2 to 4 hours away.

TebowTime15":2x8df2df said:
Old Bearkat":2x8df2df said:
Texlonghorn75":2x8df2df said:
Cavemaan73":2x8df2df said:

Believe it or not, Knippa will be 2A after the next alignment. While Utopia could play if they wanted to, Comstock would have a MAJOR problem as to what district you put them in. If they go with the Trans-Pecos teams, Dell City and Sierra Blanca are about 6 to 8 hours from Comstock without factoring in the mountain time zone. Since there are so few teams out there, I could see a DII district with Comstock, Sanderson, Dell City, Sierra Blanca, and maybe Grandfalls/Buena Vista. The Uvalde schools minus Nucese Canyon are like 2 to 4 hours away.

I did not know Knippa was growing that much. Uvalde refugees?????

Old Bearkat":30c3ysy0 said:
TebowTime15":30c3ysy0 said:
Old Bearkat":30c3ysy0 said:
Texlonghorn75":30c3ysy0 said:
Cavemaan73":30c3ysy0 said:

Yes sir, exactly! Uvalde's school is not the best, so Knippa started accepting a lot of transfers from there. Their test scores and stuff are so good because they have their own kids, who are mostly really smart and well behaved, plus the cream of the crop from Uvalde. Transfers make up 60% of Knippa's student body last year. I honestly think every school with a tiny school district like that should copy Knippa since many big urban schools have a lot of problems.

Old Bearkat":34cp3k9a said:
TebowTime15":34cp3k9a said:
Old Bearkat":34cp3k9a said:
Texlonghorn75":34cp3k9a said:
Cavemaan73":34cp3k9a said:

Yes sir, exactly! Uvalde's school is not the best, so Knippa started accepting a lot of transfers from there. Their test scores and stuff are so good because they have their own kids, who are mostly really smart and well behaved, plus the cream of the crop from Uvalde. Transfers make up 60% of Knippa's student body last year. I honestly think every school with a tiny school district like that should copy Knippa since many big urban schools have a lot of problems.

Cavemaan73":3g9d9vqw said:
Utopia from what we hear did not to go to sixman because of the expense of setting up the program. People in the area say the kids just aren't into sports anymore. Girls golf seems to be a big hit there. Comstock should be right on the edge of going sixman. I'm not sure about the southern towns. The oil boom down there has increase populations. Sabinal has been a powerhouse for a few years.

Oh yeah, Mason only beat them 56 to 0!

Tebow Time re: tiny school district transfers
The exact reason small school districts are turning down transfer request is they dont’t want those “urban problems”. My son had always been in private school. When he got to the middle of his 8 th grade year,
I decided I wanted him to go to a small public school like I did so we researched the school districts, decided on one, and bought a home and moved there. That is the only way to be sure he could complete high school there, otherwise we would have been forced to request a transfer every year. That’s way to chancy. Administrations change and policies change with them. Living in the actual district is the only way to guarantee attendance at a particular school.

FCSA football":q0adeqiq said:
Tebow Time re: tiny school district transfers
The exact reason small school districts are turning down transfer request is they dont’t want those “urban problems”. My son had always been in private school. When he got to the middle of his 8 th grade year,
I decided I wanted him to go to a small public school like I did so we researched the school districts, decided on one, and bought a home and moved there. That is the only way to be sure he could complete high school there, otherwise we would have been forced to request a transfer every year. That’s way to chancy. Administrations change and policies change with them. Living in the actual district is the only way to guarantee attendance at a particular school.

I vehemently disagree with you because the schools get to choose who they accept as transfers and who they do not. Knippa has basically turned into the Knippa Kids + Uvalde's Best; their biggest discipline problem is someone not doing homework. I promise you want your kid to go to Knippa if you move to the Uvalde area!

Honestly, schools like Knippa might cease to exist if they ever changed this policy because their school district is tiny and there is no much housing available there. Furthermore, I think most sixman schools are in the same boat and could benefit from accepting more transfers.

It would help also the nation as a whole because students who want to learn something can go to the smaller [sixman school] leaving the compassionate educators to deal with the "urban problems." Basically, it is very close to a private school that you do not have to pay to attend.

I am pretty sure you aren't calling every kid that goes to a big school "an urban problem" because that is simply not true; I remember Deion Sanders begging the Mayor of New York, Bill de Blasio, not to close down charters school that took inner city kids via a lottery. If the Republicans ever asked me, I would tell them to start promoting the smaller schools because it is a way to get children educated without costing their parents an arm and a leg.

While you were able to move to a place to get your child educated in the way you saw fit, that is not practical for every family. Plus, a school can kick out a transfer if they cause too many problems. I honestly think we agree on 90% of the issue, but you may see it differently; While writing this, I kept thinking "what exactly do we disagree on?"

Gosh man you kind of just flew off the handle there! I didn’t say anything about any specific kid, or kids from any school district ! But at the same time I can tell you for a fact that any small district is very careful about transfers ESPECIALLY if the transfer is coming from a larger district . I had to transfer every year from 1st thru 12 th grade because we lived just over the line. Reasons for being denied a transfer can be VERY subjective which can be bad as well as good. I know for a fact that several kids in a nearby district suddenly, after 10 years, were denied transfers when a new administration came in. Interestingly enough, most of the students denied just happened to be minorities. A transfer request is not automatically granted. I helped one of those kids successfully transfer to another school. If I told you that entire story you would really be upset!
As far as the “urban problems”, I was simply quoting your verbiage. It is unfortunate however that some larger districts see the small school district as a solution to their problems and suggest that “your child might do better in a smaller district. Have you ever considered a transfer?” Some might call that dumping.
As far as Knippa and Uvalde I have no knowledge of that situation and I WAS NOT commenting on it. I was simply trying to respond to the topic of “transferring”. I’m sure you and I have more in common than we have differences on this topic. If you would like to talk about it further, you can call me at 979/203/6765.

FCSA football":35i2k5hd said:
Gosh man you kind of just flew off the handle there! I didn’t say anything about any specific kid, or kids from any school district ! But at the same time I can tell you for a fact that any small district is very careful about transfers ESPECIALLY if the transfer is coming from a larger district . I had to transfer every year from 1st thru 12 th grade because we lived just over the line. Reasons for being denied a transfer can be VERY subjective which can be bad as well as good. I know for a fact that several kids in a nearby district suddenly, after 10 years, were denied transfers when a new administration came in. Interestingly enough, most of the students denied just happened to be minorities. A transfer request is not automatically granted. I helped one of those kids successfully transfer to another school. If I told you that entire story you would really be upset!
As far as the “urban problems”, I was simply quoting your verbiage. It is unfortunate however that some larger districts see the small school district as a solution to their problems and suggest that “your child might do better in a smaller district. Have you ever considered a transfer?” Some might call that dumping.
As far as Knippa and Uvalde I have no knowledge of that situation and I WAS NOT commenting on it. I was simply trying to respond to the topic of “transferring”. I’m sure you and I have more in common than we have differences on this topic. If you would like to talk about it further, you can call me at 979/203/6765.

I flew off the handle? Haha

Not looking for an argument, just common ground. It’s a Very complicated subject, school financing plays a big part in the picture, and once again that can be good or bad. Complicated indeed!

This is frustrating. I guess it's my slow internet connection but listening to the game on sixmania it keeps cutting in and out. A Leakey (Lakey) fumble for a Milford TD. A leaky 1st down. A Milford 4 and out. A Lakey TD. 8 - 6 Milford? Another stop by Leaky. 2 minutes left in the first?

Back