Kick off recv mechanics - time to set up?

crporth2

11-man fan
Quick question - After my opponent scores - We had a little confusion - but not too long to setup. Other team KO team was ready and I only had 5 on receive team and as soon as the 6 man entered the field - ref blew the whistle ready with that front line player not in position and of course good team kicks to where he was going on front line.

I don't blame the other coach - do I have a legitimate complaint? We lost a possession.

Thank you
rp

In short, no.

Rule 6-1-a states, in part, that "The referee will declare the ball ready for play when the officials are in position after the kicker has received the ball."

There is no provision for extra time for the receiving team to get in position, or even to get a full team of players on the field.

While that's the letter of the rule, in practice, what officials try to (or should do), is to make sure there are 6 on each side prior to handing the ball to the kicker, and then heading to the sideline, at which point the R whistles it in. So if, for example, there's 5 on the kicking team, I'll hold the ball until the 6th player gets out there, yelling to their sideline that they only have 5. The official on R's restraining line (H), should be alerting his sideline if they are receiving and only have 5, or alerting the other officials via radio or even just yelling across the the field, that they are short handed. As an H, I will usually come onto the field a bit so the the R can see there's an issue, and when the other player comes onto the field, is when I start retreating back to the sideline. That gives him a few seconds to get in place. We will do everything we can to get both teams ready. That said, we won't wait forever, especially if a team is repeatedly late getting their players out.

If a player has one leg on the field and one leg out of bounds is that considered a kick out of bounds on a kickoff if he touches the ball?

Last edited:
Yes. Anytime a loose ball touches a player or anything else that is out of bounds, the ball is dead out of bounds. Even if the ball itself never crossed the sideline or end line.

Back