Josh Hamilton WOW

Can't make an honest comparision to MLB players from the 1960s and those currently playing...the 1960s was a pitcher dominant era with big strike zones and taller pitching mounds. In 1966 the AL had only 2 batters with batting averages over .288 Frank Robinson .317 and Tony Oliva .307. In 1968 only 1 AL batter had a batting average over .300 and that was Yaz who batted .301! It was so one sided that MLB started changing the rules to favor the hitter again in 1969. Today we are in a hitter heavy MLB...but it seems that now thanks to drug testing we are starting to see a swing back to more dominant pitching...but still far from the levels of the 1960s.

Yaz is a Hall of Famer and a no brainer one at that...Josh Hamilton has had one very good season before this one...Yaz was a better "hitter" Hamilton I would say is the better "slugger"...with that said Hamilton is killing the ball this year!

Yaz's 1967 stats: .326 BA, 44 HR (tied for 1st), 121 RBI; 2nd place stats .311 BA, 36 HR, 113 RBI

Hamilton's current stats and ranks after 94 games (68 left to play): 1st BA - .357 (12 points in front of 2nd place), 3rd HR - 23 (3 behind 1st place), 4th RBI - 69 (13 behind 1st place).

Hamilton is on pace for about the same numbers as Yaz had in 1967 in HRs and RBIs and will likely have a better average...again more than likely due to pitching not being as good now as it was in 1967.

If he can pull it off and Hamilton can get the triple crown it would be a lot more impressive than Yaz's triple crown...my opinion is we will never see another triple crown winner in batting...or a .400 hitter for that matter

Final answer: Can't compare the two seasons (1967 and 2010), but Hamilton's triple crown would be more impressive, but Yaz was a better player than Hamilton is.

Thats my 2 cents worth!

Very nice baseball knowledge post there!
If my memory is correct,i'm thinking Yaz 44 HR
was tied with a feller named Killabrew,,
Co-HR Champs **** 1967.
Only time will tell on Josh.
He sure has been fun to watch...
Hoping to see some playoff action
this year...Rangers stay Healthy--It's TIME!!

Very nice baseball knowledge post there!
If my memory is correct,i'm thinking Yaz 44 HR
was tied with a feller named Killabrew,,
Co-HR Champs **** 1967.
Only time will tell on Josh.
He sure has been fun to watch...
Hoping to see some playoff action
this year...Rangers stay Healthy--It's TIME!!

oneday":1ohtjyxa said:
Can't make an honest comparision to MLB players from the 1960s and those currently playing...the 1960s was a pitcher dominant era with big strike zones and taller pitching mounds. In 1966 the AL had only 2 batters with batting averages over .288 Frank Robinson .317 and Tony Oliva .307. In 1968 only 1 AL batter had a batting average over .300 and that was Yaz who batted .301! It was so one sided that MLB started changing the rules to favor the hitter again in 1969. Today we are in a hitter heavy MLB...but it seems that now thanks to drug testing we are starting to see a swing back to more dominant pitching...but still far from the levels of the 1960s.

Yaz is a Hall of Famer and a no brainer one at that...Josh Hamilton has had one very good season before this one...Yaz was a better "hitter" Hamilton I would say is the better "slugger"...with that said Hamilton is killing the ball this year!

Yaz's 1967 stats: .326 BA, 44 HR (tied for 1st), 121 RBI; 2nd place stats .311 BA, 36 HR, 113 RBI

Hamilton's current stats and ranks after 94 games (68 left to play): 1st BA - .357 (12 points in front of 2nd place), 3rd HR - 23 (3 behind 1st place), 4th RBI - 69 (13 behind 1st place).

Hamilton is on pace for about the same numbers as Yaz had in 1967 in HRs and RBIs and will likely have a better average...again more than likely due to pitching not being as good now as it was in 1967.

If he can pull it off and Hamilton can get the triple crown it would be a lot more impressive than Yaz's triple crown...my opinion is we will never see another triple crown winner in batting...or a .400 hitter for that matter

Final answer: Can't compare the two seasons (1967 and 2010), but Hamilton's triple crown would be more impressive, but Yaz was a better player than Hamilton is.

Thats my 2 cents worth!

Pitching is the one bottleneck in MLB right now. With expansion and competition from football and basketball, there just are not as many really good pitchers as compared to good hitters as there was in the 1960's either. Many guys pitching in the majors now would have never risen above AAA or even AA back in the 60's. IMHO, MLB ought to get rid of at least 4 teams in each league.

Very correct Bearkat...I was going to mention that but thought it would counter what I said about pitching being on the rise at the moment.

In 1969 MLB added 2 teams which helped water down pitching helping end the pitching era of the 60s. Continued expansion has continued the watering down of pitching. There are currently 30 MLB team, in 1967 there were 20 (10 in each league).

Bearkat...at the 6man All-Star game I thought of you when in the program under Ken Hoskin's Bio it said he coach the first two years Garden City played 6man...

Ever since I was a kid my dream job has been wanting to be Commissiner of Baseball! As part of my 5 point plan to help MLB contraction of 4 teams is the number 1! Great minds think alike!

before you crown hamilton the triple crown already, check out a guy named miguel cabrera for detroit, with more hrs and rbi's, the avg with creep up as hamilton will cool off.

before you crown hamilton the triple crown already, check out a guy named miguel cabrera for detroit, with more hrs and rbi's, the avg with creep up as hamilton will cool off.

And that is the number one reason right now Hamilton won't win the triple crown...

but I would say he has a better shot than Cabrera because the line-up around Hamilton is far better than the Tigers line-up...so pitchers will have to pitch to Hamilton and they could pitch around (start walking) Cabrera.

u have got to be kidding me, u cant seriously believe hamilton will stay this hot or get anywhere near the # of rbis by cabrera. they wont picth around cabrera because the tigers have a few good hitters around him names ordonez and damon.

Markf, Are you in line to get your playoff tickets? I know it is early days yet for the playoffs, but the Rangers are looking more and more like they can hold to the course to make the playoffs.

Just to throw my 2 cents in that ain't worth a penny, but Hamilton's teammate Michael Young is a better "hitter" than he is.

Blue Bird":10rwq4n7 said:
Markf, Are you in line to get your playoff tickets? I know it is early days yet for the playoffs, but the Rangers are looking more and more like they can hold to the course to make the playoffs.

Yes,Blue Bird,,still have the same season tickets
To secure my tickets,MLB makes us buy a "strip"
A whole package that includes every possible
playoff,WS game,,Then,MLB reimburse's you for the games not played or you can keep that money in your account for next year...
These are very exciting times for Ranger,Die-hard fans
With all the moves Daniels and company have
made,it tells us they are serious....
Cliff Lee is amazing!,,He sets the bar for the other Ranger pitchers..

Pitching is Good---

Old Bearkat":raeskhcq said:
oneday":raeskhcq said:
Pitching is the one bottleneck in MLB right now. With expansion and competition from football and basketball, there just are not as many really good pitchers as compared to good hitters as there was in the 1960's either. Many guys pitching in the majors now would have never risen above AAA or even AA back in the 60's. IMHO, MLB ought to get rid of at least 4 teams in each league.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todays players overall are much stronger,bigger
More to choose from,,
Not to take anything away from Babe Ruth
I just wonder what he would look like facing a
left handed Randy Johnson throwing 100mph,He would
have fought Johnson
Those guys back then didnt even wear a battin helmet

MVP!!!!
What a Game Hamilton had against the Bosox
on friday,,Longtime Bosox announcers say
they cant remember anyone having a game like
that--He is with no-doubt the AL MVP

download

From-ESPN

Hamilton leads the league in batting (.362), slugging (.634), hits (161) and total bases (282). The rest of the league is playing for second place in the MVP race. He has no contemporaries, especially when you consider that the Rangers, somewhat against their better judgment, have started him 26 times in center field.

How rare is that kind of skill set? The last three players to have batted .360 and slugged .600 while playing that much center field are none other than Mantle in 1957, Stan Musial in 1948 and Joe DiMaggio in 1939.

May 8 2012
Again i watched Mantle,Mays,Hank A.,on tv,,,Yaz the last player to win the triple crown,,,
Josh,,16th player in MLB History to hit four HR's in a game
Record 18 total bases in a game ties AL record,,
If,a big word,Josh stays healthy has a chance at winning the triple crown
Not since 1967 when Yaz did it,,winning the triple crown now days seems impossible..Staying healthy Josh has a chance,,,Been a Ranger fan since 72
tonight was a history making night,,Hopefully more history to be..
Amazing feat from a great ball player,,,the Balt. crowd all stood and cheered
with what went down tonight,,So Did I !!!
Stay Healthy Josh...WOW

That Josh Hamilton performance last night was ridiculous. Baltimore fans know an impressive feat when they see one, which is why they gave a standing ovation. The Rangers love setting records against the O's, I still remember that 30-3 beatdown a few years ago, the Rangers got a standing o in Baltimore after that too.

The only sad thing about the Hamilton performance is that there were maybe 4-5k fans there (O's reported 11k, but there's no way that's accurate) to witness it. Despite the fact that the O's had the best record in the AL coming into the series, they are an afterthought right now in Baltimore. The college lacrosse playoffs start this weekend, and 2 city schools (Loyola and John's Hopkins) are the top two seeds, and the Preakness is in two weeks. That is much more important than baseball for most of the city.

Phenomenal performance by Hamilton, who has more talent than any player I've ever seen in person. Classy move on the standing o by the O's fans who were there. The way Hamilton was hitting it I expected him to put one out on Eutaw Street. I do wish more people would have been there to see it though, especially as cheap as O's tickets are (student prices are as low as $3), and the fact that Camden Yards might be the best stadium in MLB, there's really no excuse for such tiny crowds.

Back