Is SixMan Football Real Football?

I'm traveling on company business in Mississippi and am running into the same arguments that I ran into when I moved to Georgia 18 years ago. When I discuss six-man football (takes hat off for a moment of reverence) I get the same comments. It aint real, how many you guys move into the college game or the pros, they call it sandlot, or an accelerated form of flag football. How do ya'll answer that? Is it like the sound of a Harley, if you don't know, we can never 'splain it to you?

I need some profound wisdom from the experts...

I don't know that I'd take the time to try to convince them. If they're in Mississippi, chances are that they'll never see a sixman game anyway, so why bother?

Smokey, funny you should say that, we have a guy on our team, from Utah, who has never tried Catfish, I've got two more weeks to convince him to at least try a bite.

SavannahSixManFan":3s95eeod said:
Smokey, funny you should say that, we have a guy on our team, from Utah, who has never tried Catfish, I've got two more weeks to convince him to at least try a bite.

Aren't the Mormons like the mooslims and won't eat cat fish and pork?

oldfat&bald":1xxlqa1r said:
SavannahSixManFan":1xxlqa1r said:

Aren't the Mormons like the mooslims and won't eat cat fish and pork?

Nope.

Alcohol and hot caffeinated drinks are verboten for Mormons, but not pork/fish. Muzzies can eat fish, including catfish.

I have coached/recruited at the college level, scouted for the pros, coached 6A, 2A and now 6-man. I can honestly say talent is talent, no matter the A attached. Most 6-man athletes don't compete at the next level because they don't know how to get there. We graduate 11 seniors this year and 5 have been offered college athletic scholarships. Show me a 3A or 5A that puts 45% of their athletes on scholarship. I brought eleven kids to Buckholts last summer for the College Showcase and showed each of them exactly how to get what they want. I have heard from four of the athletes that will be playing college ball next year, one went to the military and one of mine still hasn't decided, but has received offers. It's not rocket science, but if you've never made the contacts, most coaches, parents and students do tons of work to no avail. It kills me to see quality athletes not get noticed, because it's something that can easily be remedied. I tried to find a format to help educate those who need the help, but when only eleven kids showed, it's tough to reach the masses. One day we'll find an event where we can help any and all coaches/parents/athletes on the correct steps to take and how not to piss off every coach at the college level.

5 players from Buckholts gettting athletic scholarships? Seems like they should have had a better team this year. Most teams could get that many to the next level if that's the case.

I played 6-man football my all four years of high school, its so much faster than 11man, im built for the 11man game but lived in Rankin so played for the Red Devils. I hold some of my best memmories with that team, if someone doesent believe that 6-man is real football they are wrong, I played in the Can-AM Bowl and I saw more talent there than ive ever seen at a 11man High School.

Gunslinger":1s18chn1 said:
5 players from Buckholts gettting athletic scholarships? Seems like they should have had a better team this year. Most teams could get that many to the next level if that's the case.

Sadly, this is the type of ignorance that gets coaches to avoid pushing their kids for college scholarships. It's tons of work and they have absolutely nothing to gain. It's supposed to be about the kids, but if I'm successful with scholarships, I'm judged on my win-loss record instead of acknowledging the great achievements of the student-athletes who did something not many students get an opportunity to do. Never once did I say all five of the scholarships were football scholarships! Unless you win state, you can always have done better. But a student having a 2.5 gpa, scoring at least an 18 on the ACT, or being in the top 50% of the graduating class has nothing to do with a district championship, or a run in the playoffs. Without two of those three things, you can be the best athlete in the world, but you're not playing at the next level. Funny, when I came to 6-man, all I heard was how the 6-man community was more about the football experience and the character of their student-athletes. With statements like these, I fail to see any difference in the mentality of the 11-man fan. And by the way, yes - Most teams could get that many to the next level! That was my point. But under the constant watchful eye of your local high school practice hero, who probably never made it; I no longer look down on your coach for not opening himself up for the scrutiny and sticking his reputation on the line. Finally, when I was interviewed for my job at Buckholts and when I met with the team for the first time I said the same thing to all. "I can not guarantee any district or state championships." "However, I will help you get to college, for anyone wanting to go." I've lived up to my end of the bargain. 13 students college eligible in 2 years. When they graduate from college, it will mean just as much as any championship!

I realize these posts don't represent the entire 6-man community, but it sure does aggravate some of us who came down to sixman to try and help make a difference. I also realize no one asked for my help, but I wouldn't trade my two years at Buckholts for any of my years in 11-man.

Thanks Coach for a well written post. You may ignore some of the post you see on here, they come from pups that normally dont see past their noses. The very reason you do what you do to get those kids scholarships. Keep up the good work, us old goats understand why you do what you do. By the way seems to me yall had a great season.

Considering we lost our starting QB in the second game of the season and then lost two linebackers (both 1st team all district, and one was all region) the week before the playoffs, I thought our kids played great! Being short-handed was tough against Abbott and Coach Crawford exploited our weakness like a true professional. Hats off to Abbott. Thank you for your kind words.

Back