I don't understand!

... wanting to beat a team that beat you is ok... nothing wrong with "we lost last year, we won't this year" but you said your kids were going into that game with a couple of things on their mind... you might want to clarify what those things are next time... one is getting back for a loss.. whats the other one?? do you see what i'm getting at?? i don't know how to explain it any further.. vengeance is a harsh word but your kids have to know that 90 percent of the time, the team they are playing next year is not the same team they lost to this year.. my guys hit hard.. harder than any other team i've seen this year.. but they do it to win that game... they won't hit any team harder than another because of a loss or dirty play the previous year.. get my drift?? i really would like a copy of the game you keep referring to so i can see what you are talking about but if you are complaining about intense collisions being dirty, then i would feel extremely sorry for you if you came further south and saw a game... lol but i'll give you the benefit of the doubt because i haven't seen what you are talking about.. good luck next year and i hope your kids don't walk on that field to do anything but play football...

Seguin let me ask you this question this way. You are a high school football player. From the first kickoff of a game they send their best two players to just come clean your clock, basically knocks you out of the game. Granted it was legal and within the whistles and with in the guidelines of the game. Now I am asking you to think as a 14-18 year old high school player, not an adult with much, much wisdom. How would you feel? Would you feel as though you were targeted? What would be on your mind when you faced those young men next year. I don't care if it is the same players there or not? How would you feel?

I am doing my best to be a vague as possible, so not to hurt anyone's feelings!!!

Trust me hitting as hard as I can is something I have always been taught and is something I am trying to teach these kids. Also you have to understand that I have some great athletes, but I also have kids that have been beat up on for a long time with lots of losing seasons (0-10, 1-9, 2-8 for years). We are doing our absolute best to get a program turned around.

CB91
You said...."as a player you should always play with some sort of vengeance or payback",
" ...I played with a chip on my shoulder..."
"Why would a coach not teach his player to...get a little payback."

You're right about only one thing.
You don't understand.

ahh well i'm glad you brought that up... my senior year i was taken out of a game purposefully by another team.. after the game i shook their hands (on crutches) and one of the two that chop blocked me said, "coach made us do it. you were killing us"... i felt honoured in a way because they felt like they needed me off the field in order to win... i saw those guys four weeks later ( on both legs again) playing a friendly game of no pads tackle football between the two towns... how would i play against them? very carefully... if anything your kids will now be more aware of what could happen and get out of bad situations... i was the wedge buster on my schools kickoff team... i hit 3 or 4 guys at one time every time we kicked the ball off so i know the odds.... it sucks but its part of the game...

and don't play my team... thats how we do kickoffs as well... we send our six best hitters against anybody who steps on the field and whoever gets near them is about to probably get hit by two or three guys at the same time... its not dirty... we want the ball

WoW, Monday night football , whos playing.
It looks like one of those Calif. teams are going to win thw world seris , but the rangers still have an at bats.

Astro55":1zu9u96j said:
WoW, Monday night football , whos playing.
It looks like one of those Calif. teams are going to win thw world seris , but the rangers still have an at bats.

Texans and the Colts. Last I saw, the Colts were up 14-3.

I just can't watch baseball on TV. Not crazy about it in person, but it is a much better sport to watch at the ballpark than on the tube.

cowboy91":3ddf7q5q said:
Never once in my post did i say anything about doing something illegal. Never once did I talk about playing dirty. I am almost certain I said to coach a kid between the whistles and white lines.

Ok, I am officially confused now. This topic was about "Dirty Players and Coaches". My contention is my team shouldn't be mentioned in a thread where you are calling them, and me personally, "dirty". If you are talking about the way we do things on kickoffs, everything done is perfectly legal, within the lines, and whistles. You guys have a REALLY strong kickoff game...one of the better kickoff games in Div II. In previous games, your team had gone up 24 points in a matter of SECONDS...not minutes...because of your strong onside kicks. You guys load up a side and get after it. I'm not going to give out the details of how we stopped that, but it was perfectly legal, and nothing I would consider "dirty". Sure, the kid had his clock cleaned...but it was a solid, perfect form, and legal hit, within the rules of the game. Coach, your kids weren't "targeted". Your scheme was game planned for, and executed pretty well by our team.

Hey Falcon coach, I heard from a very reliable source that the kickoff between the teams your talking about was legal and a great play. But I was not there that night, but from a very reliable source the kickoff wasn't the problem, but the fact that your player was caught on film punching this player (that was supposedly targeted) in the side 2 times. Then of course the targeted player retaliated and hit him back. And as we all know it's never the instigator that gets caught, but the one who reacts to it. So if that's all true, I hope you can see why they thought it was probally a dirty play and maybe even coached.

unfortunately that happens sometimes... but never have i ever heard a coach tell two of his best athletes to go hit another athlete so when he swings back, he gets ejected.. if the players did it, shame on them.. but i doubt thats the case otherwise Cowboy would have said that is what he is upset about... again though i wasn't there... its the past, and thats where it should stay

Red Baron":3ncs0l2q said:
Hey Falcon coach, I heard from a very reliable source that the kickoff between the teams your talking about was legal and a great play. But I was not there that night, but from a very reliable source the kickoff wasn't the problem, but the fact that your player was caught on film punching this player (that was supposedly targeted) in the side 2 times. Then of course the targeted player retaliated and hit him back. And as we all know it's never the instigator that gets caught, but the one who reacts to it. So if that's all true, I hope you can see why they thought it was probally a dirty play and maybe even coached.

The truth is all in the eyes of the beholder my friend. This was all hashed out in our district meeting, where all coaches agreed justice was served on both sides. This is not the forum to re-hash it. I'll say this...we've never, and will never, as long as I'm at this school, condone a player going after another one to instigate a fight. Period.

Falcon coach, my friend. Your right it's all in the eye of the beholder, and like I've heard it said, "the big eye in the sky don't lie!" Glad to hear it was all worked out at your district meeting. Congratulations to your team on making it to the playoffs and good luck.

So, we were talking about dirty coaches/players.

Let's use the example of
all of the TAPPS coaches
ejection record in order to
shed some light on their "Payback" philosophy.

Many of those volunteer coaches,
(some of whom must post to this board),
have ideas which conflict with
our public school coach expectations.

Most successful professional coaches
use different motivational strategies.

Back