I am TheSheik

Bpolk

11-man fan
First off, let me apologize, I'm very opinionated about things that I know, and trust me I know food. I don't post much on here, but I've been a member and reader for several years. I just found this forum for eating places and noticed that most of you people don't actually know what you're talking about. . . <P>I mean really, <BR>Underwoods for bbq<BR>Golden Corral for steaks<BR>Rosa's for Mexican food ?<P>now don't get me wrong, all of those are good choices and they definately serve their purpose in feeding the masses. I eat at them all the time, but I settle when I do. For me, the real challenge is to find a great place to eat that is the locally owned operation that has found a niche. <P>If you are in a hurry and your wife is afraid to try something adventurous, by all means go to Rosa's or for that matter, taco bell or Taco bueno. But one day when you are in San Angelo, check out Fuentes downtown. When you run through Abilene, find Harolds at 13th and Walnut and have lunch. (he's closed for supper, because as Harold says, he don't like to be in that part of town after dark either) Go to the Beehive in Albany, Perini's in Buffalo Gap or Mary's in Strawn. Check out The Bar in downtown Midland sometime, or if you're feeling fancy, The Wall Street Bar and Grill in Midland. Both have really good food and a menu that you won't believe. Let the other people eat a Bennigan's.<P>Sometimes you find a homerun and sometimes you strike out, but eating at a chain like Chili's or Texas Roadhouse is like accepting a walk on balls. Sorry, wrong sports analogy for this forum. . . <P>So I challenge all your 6man types within the sound of my voice, to bring me the information that I need, that we all need. When going from here to there, what unique, local and special places should we stop. Who has the don't miss concessions stand hamburgers at the games ? Ever been to a roping in Colorado City and had their steak on a stick. Thats what I'm talking about.<P>So forget about the cookie cutter chains of the world. They got TV commercials on all the time. Tell us about places that we don't know about. <P>sorry, end of my soapbox rant about eating places.<P>ps, if you come to Abilene, let me know and I'll meet you down at Harold's for lunch.

Nothing beats a Ferlis made brisket Depot Dog after a night of hard drinking, just be sure to tell him that his hot sauce isn't hot worth a damn.

Back