Houston Texas Christian HS ineligible for 2007 playoffs

freeagent

Six-man pro
Today, I learned that the TAPPS District 5-Div. II Six Man Football District Executive Commitee has placed the following penalty on Houston Texas Christian High School for violating TAPPS rules and holding required practices outside the approved sport season. (By-Laws, Section 136-F)

Texas Christian H.S. will be ineligble for district honors (including all-district selections) and the playoffs for the 2007 season.

This is a district-assessed penalty. The school can, if they wish, appeal this decision to the TAPPS Athletic Executive Committee and then to the TAPPS Board of Directors.

Earlier, the district volleyball committee assessed a reprimand and probation to TCHS for similiar actions in volleyball.

September 10, 2007

This is the same coach who deceptively played college students against Ausin NYOS a few years ago. For that offense, the district exec. committee handed down a mickey mouse, slap on the wrist, three game suspension or something like that and TAPPS basically supported the three game suspension. I (and many others) thought the "punishment" was ridiculous at the time and said so. Is anyone really surprised that he did not learn anything from the earlier situation ? For those of you scoring at home, TAPPS and the 2005 district exec. committee get an assist on this latest offense.

brepass":3w02qxy9 said:
This is the same coach who deceptively played college students against Ausin NYOS a few years ago. For that offense, the district exec. committee handed down a mickey mouse, slap on the wrist, three game suspension or something like that and TAPPS basically supported the three game suspension. I (and many others) thought the "punishment" was ridiculous at the time and said so. Is anyone really surprised that he did not learn anything from the earlier situation ? For those of you scoring at home, TAPPS and the 2005 district exec. committee get an assist on this latest offense.

Brad ... I know a lot of folks are still steamed about the 2005 punishment, but as one of the principals in making that punishment told me, the kids at Houston Texas Christian didn't participate in that charade and their thought was that they shouldn't take the punishment. If even one kid from their regular roster had suited up for that "game," they would have suspended the team from the playoffs. They decided the punishment should be directed towards the coach (also the principal of the school).

I wasn't sure I agreed with that either, but I did at least understand their thinking in that case.

This summer's required workouts may have been the straw that broke the camel's back. I don't think there would be too many people crying if the TAPPS Board pulled a "Cornerstone" on them and didn't accept their contract for membership.

John T.

John, I agree - ideally the kids should not pay ( this year or in 05 ) for decisions made by the coach. My point is that any coach who puts college aged kids on the field with high schoolers should be banned from coaching high school ball- permanently.The coach should not have been allowed to coach again, and if he had been banned, then we wouldn't be talking about his 2007 transgressions.
Bottom line is the coaches on the exec. committee in 05 were reluctant to nail a guy they had coached against for years, and TAPPS did not step up and correct an obvious wrong.
Anyway, hope you guys have a good season in Seguin.

Brad,

I agree with you -- during 2005 you, I and many others felt that Herc should be permanently banned from coaching football -- it should not come as a surprise to anyone that he is still breaking rules. I feel horrible for the kids on his team now, just like I felt horrible for his kids back in 2005, but TAPPS did not do enough in 2005, and now the results are another violation.

I feel it's time for everyone who is not in their district to refuse to schedule them until Herc gets the message and gets completely away from the athletic department.

Wayne Alldredge
Austin NYOS

PS -- maybe if Roger Gudell ran TAPPS...

waynea":22u1dewv said:
PS -- maybe if Roger Gudell ran TAPPS...

I didn't see Roger suspending Bill Belacheck for filming his opponents' signals this weekend. Yeah, a fine (petty cash in the NFL; just send a memo to the stadium gift shop and bump all the prices up $1.50 each) and some draft choices, but it ain't a Michael Vick or Pacman Jones penalty.

I'm not sure this is over. If I were HTC (theoretical), I'd be appealing this to the athletic advisory council and the TAPPS board. But then again, I think I would probably think I had a chance of it being successful. I'm not sure Herc has too many friends in high places.

John T.

Just curious as a fan. I remember reading and hearing about the original transgression a couple of years ago. I'm wondering on what basis you would appeal the decision, and why you think you might be successful, theoretically of course. Just wondering...

John T...

OK you are right...Gudell only fined Belicek $500,000, and took away a draft pick -- I'm good with that...Let's fine Herc A HALF A MILLION DOLLARS, and take away his draft pick (of college age players) next year!!

:wink:

mmorvan":2ooxv7ik said:
Just curious as a fan. I remember reading and hearing about the original transgression a couple of years ago. I'm wondering on what basis you would appeal the decision, and why you think you might be successful, theoretically of course. Just wondering...

I might appeal the decision on the basis of it being too severe; an alternative would be that I would have to forfeit a district game or not qualify as district champion and that past transgressions should not be considered in this punishment.

And again, under the theoretical premise of my being involved (first, I wouldn't do such hairbrained schemes, but let's move on), I figure I have friends in high places.

But don't pass these hints along to Herc. I'm thinking maybe he'll call me and I can make a few grand as a consultant on this one.

John

FYI

Did you know? That if Herc is made to leave the sideline, his son takes over as Head coach. So Herc would still be calling the shots.

Did you know? This is the same son who was one of the college age players.

Did you know? This is the same son who is mentioned every year in Dave Campbell's magazine for having the most TD passes in a game. (Was this stat submitted by Herc???)

I know Herc. I know he knew what he was doing. As long as Herc owns the school, he will have a hand in how the athletic department is run.

big-coach":2zsjnb0n said:
FYI

Did you know? That if Herc is made to leave the sideline, his son takes over as Head coach. So Herc would still be calling the shots.

Did you know? This is the same son who was one of the college age players.

Did you know? This is the same son who is mentioned every year in Dave Campbell's magazine for having the most TD passes in a game. (Was this stat submitted by Herc???)

I know Herc. I know he knew what he was doing. As long as Herc owns the school, he will have a hand in how the athletic department is run.

Okay. you goaded me into this.

Here's my final take on this. And it's my opinion only, your mileage may vary, please consult your health care professional before starting any prescription medicine, etc.

Unless you are required to play HTC in a district or playoff situation, just don't schedule them. That's the best way to send a message that you don't approve of their program and actions.

And I just don't mean in one sport. I mean every sport. If they run a crooked basketball program, don't play them in volleyball or football.

As Nancy Reagan said, "Just say no."

But remember, I'm not advocating a boycott of this or any school's athletic program, we each have to make our own decisions.

There are a number of schools (very few) that I refused to schedule for various reasons -- stealing kids from my school, what I considered unethical actions, not being reliable for games previously scheduled usually ended up on the top of the hit parade..

If they ended up in my district, we played them. If not, I'd usually be rather polite when I said I was unable to schedule them.

(It was kind of funny to get a call from San Antonio Cornerstone's athletic secretary last fall asking to schedule basketball games. I was real nice to the lady and asked her to tell their Coach that we were in no way interested in playing his team. But there was no reason to be mean to the nice lady.)

John T.

Unless you are required to play HTC in a district or playoff situation, just don't schedule them. That's the best way to send a message that you don't approve of their program and actions. (Quote of Lifegate Sports)

Hey John...

That means we agree, I think my 1st post on the topic said just that ---

but --- What about the half million dollar fine?

See ya... :wink:

waynea":8cq0suxa said:

Let's put it in perspective. A half-million dollars in the NFL? Heck, probably any NFL stadium does that in PROGRAM sales at any game. Maybe two games, at most.

I know my beloved Lambeau does that in beer sales by the end of the first quarter.

A drop in the ol' bucket.

John

lifegatesports":1sptepmu said:
waynea":1sptepmu said:

Let's put it in perspective. A half-million dollars in the NFL? Heck, probably any NFL stadium does that in PROGRAM sales at any game. Maybe two games, at most.

I know my beloved Lambeau does that in beer sales by the end of the first quarter.

A drop in the ol' bucket.

John

Of course I don't want to beat a dead horse (I know that's hard to say when the poor nag stopped moving several posts ago!!), but the $500,000 fine was against Belichek himself, not the team. According to Forbes, Belichek makes 2.5 million a year -- SOOOOOO, I'd even be satisfied if we docked Herc 20% of his annual pay!!

Of course we'd have to depend on Herc's word as to that amount...

lifegatesports":2ymykywf said:
waynea":2ymykywf said:
lifegatesports":2ymykywf said:
waynea":2ymykywf said:

Wayne ... how much you wanna bet if New England wins the Super Bowl, ol' Bill is gonna get a half million dollar raise next year?

John

John --

You are right, I give up -- the half million dollar fine was a drop in the bucket --- and you are also right that the Patriots would just increase his salary if they win the SuperBowl --

But -- How much do you want to bet, that if we fined Herc 20% of his salary, he would increase his own salary (since he also owns the school) the next year whether they win the SuperBowl or not!!

And truth be told, if we banned him from coaching, he might even shave his head, change his name and wear sunglasses and show up on the sidelines anyway!!

Wayne

waynea":2cl69bpo said:
But -- How much do you want to bet, that if we fined Herc 20% of his salary, he would increase his own salary (since he also owns the school) the next year whether they win the SuperBowl or not!!

Wayne

Let's end it with this. My guess is that Herc, like many teachers and administrators at small Christian schools aren't in it for the money.

As my dear, departed Irish mother used to say, Your rewards are in Heaven, because you're sure not going to get it here.

Unless he's able to increase his salary by firing a few teachers, raising tuition, or getting more students to enroll at Texas Christian ...

Well, let's leave that alone. The punishment has been set. As far as I know, there has not been any appeal to the powers-that-be as of this date. But I still would expect it to happen.

John T

Actually a news update here ...

Over the weekend, I was told that Houston Texas Christian appealed their punishment to the TAPPS Athletic Council and the Council upheld the district ruling.

I understand this ruling has also been appealed and will be heard by the full TAPPS Board of Directors in October.

Back