Homeschoolers in UIL

And in regard to the 14 years of experience in seeing all Home School students as bumbling idiots- Here are just a few quick pieces of info:

1st and foremost, DO NOT put words into my mouth. I said they were always behind, I did not say they were bumbling idiots.

This is EXACTLY what I said!

I respectfully disagree. In 14 years I have NEVER had a home school kid join the local public ISD that was not behind. I dont know where you found this information but I would have to question its validity!

I really dislike generalizations but......... From what I have observed from the periphery of education, it is not the scholastic area where most Home Schooled youth are lacking but in the social aspects.
Again, this is a generalization. I have family involved in public, private and home schooling and this is not based on stats or studies, just my worthless opinion.

http://theinnovativeeducator.blogspot.c ... ds-in.html
This article references some favorable studies. Other controlled studies seem to show a less-significant gap favoring home-schooled college students, but NO STUDY shows any kind of advantage for public-schooled kids.

So you have low-powered studies showing home-schooled kids do better in college and high-powered studies showing they do just as well, but NO studies showing worse college performance.

What you're seeing is called "selection bias," meaning that you will primarily see the failures...the parents of kids who are doing well won't be darkening the door of a government school - just the desperate ones who can't figure out how to get little Johnny to turn off the video games and do his Saxon math.

Rural Public School Graduate
Father of three, formerly home-schooled and now in private school.
TexDoc

I believe a perfect example of this being used to the advantage of a student is Tim Tebow. Its easy to be a five star recruit and get the best training when you can just go to the best high school in the state to play football. Not to take anything away from Tebow, he is still an amazing athlete, you have to be to get a starting job after finding the best team to play for, but its still using the system. Now say a six man team is having a rough year. So coach so and so drives up to Euless Trinity or some other amazing 5A team. You take the third string QB who has no shot of starting for the Trojans, and I guarantee that kid is still a hell of an athlete. The coach offers the kid a starting spot and a good chance at a state championship, do you think the kid who just wants to play football is going to say no? You'll eventually find kids who just want on the field bad enough who will go for this. And all they have to do is say they're homeschooled.

sixmanalum":281okm9e said:
I believe a perfect example of this being used to the advantage of a student is Tim Tebow. Its easy to be a five star recruit and get the best training when you can just go to the best high school in the state to play football. Not to take anything away from Tebow, he is still an amazing athlete, you have to be to get a starting job after finding the best team to play for, but its still using the system. Now say a six man team is having a rough year. So coach so and so drives up to Euless Trinity or some other amazing 5A team. You take the third string QB who has no shot of starting for the Trojans, and I guarantee that kid is still a hell of an athlete. The coach offers the kid a starting spot and a good chance at a state championship, do you think the kid who just wants to play football is going to say no? You'll eventually find kids who just want on the field bad enough who will go for this. And all they have to do is say they're homeschooled.

Now, come on alum. None of us know a parent, coach or a booster who would stoop so low as to pull a ruse like that one. Well, maybe in basketball ...

(Sarcasm key now turned off)

I don't have any concrete numbers, but home schoolers cost the district more money than what the district would spend on educating them. We have many home schoolers here, and I believe we lost around $4500 per student in state funding.

I pay taxes to the city, but I don't assume they will just let me borrow their front-end loader any time I needed it.

Just my $.02

I'll always treasure a Facebook post from a homeschool mom:

"Congratulations to the Stephenville FAITH Knights, TCAL State Champions -- How's THAT for Socialization!"

I'm curious to see if these numbers will count against the enrollment numbers that dictate whether we're eligible for 6man. A school like mine, who has an enrollment of 48 kids in the High School, this wouldn't change for us. However, for those who are closer to that 100 mark; this could be detrimental. I personally wouldn't mind the addition, but understand and share many of the reservations. I coached in Florida for 8 years and saw many homeschoolers be very successful on the athletic fields with public schools.

Re: Homeschoolers in UIL
I don't have any concrete numbers, but home schoolers cost the district more money than what the district would spend on educating them. We have many home schoolers here, and I believe we lost around $4500 per student in state funding.

I pay taxes to the city, but I don't assume they will just let me borrow their front-end loader any time I needed it.

Just my $.02
Coachjdjones,

Just so you understand what your $.02 will get you.....you don't lose money for things you didn't do.....if you educate a kid you get , you get your "$4500" (assuming that is a correct figure) so you didn't lose anything because you didn't do anything ! But the homeschool family living in your district is still paying taxes to your district for something that the district is not providing, so your money ahead because you don't have one of those "bad" homeschoolers taken up space in your classroom.
If, in paying taxes to your city , you received absolutely nothing in return, then I would argue you have every right to expect to use the front-end loader.
By the way , two homeschool players from our championship team are presently employed(paid positions) to coach sixman football while they are in college to get their degrees.

captdaddy":1274nflh said:
Re: Homeschoolers in UIL

Just my $.02
Coachjdjones,

Just so you understand what your $.02 will get you.....you don't lose money for things you didn't do.....if you educate a kid you get , you get your "$4500" (assuming that is a correct figure) so you didn't lose anything because you didn't do anything ! But the homeschool family living in your district is still paying taxes to your district for something that the district is not providing, so your money ahead because you don't have one of those "bad" homeschoolers taken up space in your classroom.
If, in paying taxes to your city , you received absolutely nothing in return, then I would argue you have every right to expect to use the front-end loader.
By the way , two homeschool players from our championship team are presently employed(paid positions) to coach sixman football while they are in college to get their degrees.

The loss of finances comes from having to foot 100% of their athletics bill. A student, who becomes part of the student body, would receive $5,500 from the state to educate them. However, if they're homeschooled and only participate in athletics, the school receives zero funds from the state. More importantly, the school is required to cover the uniforms, food, travel, and all other fees, including liabitlity insurance, associated with athletics. Yes, if you get a Tim Tebow, as mentioned above, the money was well spent. But at what point does it become cost effective for a school district to assume 100% financial responsibility for students who will never count towards graduation and/or standardized testing?

I am curious as to why the State doesn't turn over money to the Schools. Call me naive, but I thought these school taxes, I have been paying were going to the Schools (they are called school taxes by the way). If they are not, I am wondering why and just who is getting all that money.

just to add a wrinkle what about the illegals that are educated in our system? is there a requirement that students pass a specific number of hours to participate in extracurricular activities? home school has its advantages as does public if you don't care for one join the other. period but you don't get both no matter the crying. as far as the UIL I know that they do not play on a level playing field and this causes me to question their integrity.. if you don't want it questioned then be transparent in your discussions and consistent in the rulings.

Back