Greatest Frontman

David Lee Roth tore Van Halen up, therefore he can't be the best frontman. The best frontman is from the greatest band ever: Robert Plant!<BR>Now that is game over. :D

For debate sake....... im going to have to go with Mick Jagger, hes performed at a high level for over 40 years now. No one else has done what hes done with the same band. Steven Tyler has a chance but you never know.<P>To me theres really more of a group of great front men than an actual best. Id go with Plant, Diamond Dave, Freddy Mercury, Steven Tyler, Mick jagger, Vince Neil, Scott Weiland, Axl, Roger Daultry. Theres many more who are good, but these are definately some of the best.

Saw Jagger and the Stones two weeks ago (was on the stage, but that's another story) and the dude still struts around at the age of 65 or whatever he is. Amazing.<P>One guy from a smaller band that just had that precense of Plant and DLR was Ian Astbury of the Cult.<P>Way off the beaten path of normal frontmen would be Jerry Garcia.

Van Halen in their prime were a much better performance to see than Zeppelin. I dont buy into a band just because the critics tell me to. It seems to me that Zeppelin is a lot of showing off with little pop sensibility. Also their distinct lack of any harmony vocals bores me to death.

Im not bashing Zeppelin, they were great, and made some great music.<P>I just cannot believe people would put Plant in the category of top-five greatest frontmen of all time. I dont see it.

I will actually agree with you. The Van Halen( DLR) was more about the production and the show. The music was good because of the band, nothing can be taken away from Eddie, but they were definately more flashy , the Van Hagar years were better musically I think.<P>Its funny how 2 bands did almost the same thing. Led Zeppelin found a way to transform old American blues into Blues- Rock, And Van Halen turned that into shred-blues-rock-ERUPTION IS AMAZING-. Both bands DID have great frontmen, But were put on the map by amazing guitarists. I think David still holds a grudge on Eddie for stealing his show, and Plant to Page also to a degree.<P>But to sum it up I think David Lee Roth was better because he got to benefit from watching Plant do it so well. He was able to take the macho-im the king of the world attitude Plant had and turn into his own.<P>Notice Led Zeppelins " Traveling Riverside Blues"= Van Halens " Ice cream Man" . Roth took the same *** sells approach plant did and ran with it.<P><BR>Im a bigger led Zeppelin than Van Halen fan. But I am a bigger DLR fan than Plant.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MattC:<BR><STRONG>So whats the other story Granger??? Did you do a little acoustic version of " Wild Horses", or did you help on "Beast of Burden"???</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>College roommate is a very powerful person in the music business and invited my wife and I (and some other friends) to go to the show. We were in a box ON the stage. If you have seen photos of the tour, there is a very large structure attached to the stage and we were right there at the back of the stage. Before the show, as we were hanging out backstage, I met the Stones manager and we got a copy of the set list about a half hour before they went on. At one point during "Sympathy" Mick was about 10 feet away from us. Very fun. From our view, looking out on the crowd, it was amazing watching how the crowd reacted to them.

I cant even imagine what that was like. I know Mick still has it but what about the rest of the guys? This would have been post coconut tree for Keith right, how was he on stage?

Keith was good and seemed to be enjoying himself, but there's a reason why he's not lead for everything. He appeared to just be playing at his own pace at times.

Back