Gone and moved on

Cross

11-man fan
HI guys, I'm just looking for a list of schools that have either moved to 11 men, stopped existing (Consolidation also accepted.), and or stopped playing the sport in the last 30 years for a personal project that I hope you guys will enjoy. Please send them my way thanks. Also yes I do have a list im just seeing if I missed any.

Just off the top of my head, some six man programs I competed against and coached for that don't exist anymore (I don't think) would be:

Brenham Christian Academy (school closed)
Harmony Science Academy - Bryan (school still exists but I don't think they have a high school anymore)
San Antonio New Life (I think they closed but I could be wrong on that, but I know they haven't played six man in forever)
Huston Academy in Stephenville (I think they just stopped playing)
The Fulton School in Heath (Not sure on the why for them)
Great Hearts Monte Vista in San Antonio (I think they started six man and then stopped shortly after, but you might want to check on that one)

LonghornsCoach":12unq9ta said:
Just off the top of my head, some six man programs I competed against and coached for that don't exist anymore (I don't think) would be:

Brenham Christian Academy (school closed)
Harmony Science Academy - Bryan (school still exists but I don't think they have a high school anymore)
San Antonio New Life (I think they closed but I could be wrong on that, but I know they haven't played six man in forever)
Huston Academy in Stephenville (I think they just stopped playing)
The Fulton School in Heath (Not sure on the why for them)
Great Hearts Monte Vista in San Antonio (I think they started six man and then stopped shortly after, but you might want to check on that one)
Thanks ill look into these.

Old Bearkat":3hfcfq5r said:
Also, you can search through the 6 man history thread
There is a thread or two in the history topic about former 6 man schools that now are 11 man, such as Pearland, Friendswood, Killeen, Katy, Pflugerville, Hutto, Wimberly, sharyland, and Lubbock Cooper.

San Antonio New Life did close a few years back. A non-church group reopened the school (same location), but I'm not sure if they have any high school or sports programs.

I want to think Great Hearts is going 11 man, there are several new charter schools in the SA Austin area that are in 11-man ball and it seems they are all in the same district. Problem is that the other two high schools in that district are Wimberley and Geronimo Navarro. Both of those schools (I live in the Navarro district) complained to high heaven and UIL about the assignment -- primarily because most of those schools will not have junior high or sub-varsity programs. (BTW, Wimberley, Navarro, and Cuero -- who was in the district with those two schools the past two years have all been the Region 4 finalists the past three or four years. It is going to be a really rotten district with the two schools beating all the others 80-0; I just hope the Wimberley-Navarro game is scheduled for Week 11.)

San Antonio Town East Christian is also out of the football business. Ran into Coach Davis one night when he was calling a JH football game at Navarro. Went over to see him at halftime and joked on how easily he adapted to being a ref. Of course, most games, he was halfway out on the field anyway.

San Antonio Sonrise Christian, which was only located a few blocks away from New Life (NL was in front of the old Wilford Hall USAF Hospital; they would often play fb at 5 pm and the base would broadcast the national anthem at that time every day). Played for a few years before the school and church closed; buildings have been torn down.

Christian Academy of San Antonio (also on the west side of San Antonio) played for a few years but went toward TAPPS Fall Soccer instead.

Hays and Buda, both 6A schools today, were six man schools years ago.

Also, here is Guadalupe County, Dowdy HS (closed in the early 50s) played 6 man. The original school is long since gone, now private property. Last time I looked (a few years back), there was a historical marker for the school and one of the football goal posts remained standing.

When I was AD at Seguin Lifegate, I thought about asking the property owners if they would consider donating the goal post and I would set it up at Lifegate as a memorial/monument to six-man football in our county. Never did get around to it, though.

Byers used to play 6 man but the school closed and consolidated with Petrolia. Harrold has not played in several years due to lack of players!

High Island?

Also Kelton ISD (been for a few years now) is back minus playing 6 man for now. They play HS in all of the other sports I believe, only difference is there name is the Lions now.

Ft Elliot could be added to the list as well. Similar to Kelton but quit playing football a while back for some reason.

Weatherford Christian move to 11 this year
Glenview Christian closed years ago
Brownsville Christian Life No longer playing
Aledo Christian closed
CLIPS No longer playing
Carrollton Christian closed
Richard Canyon Creek closed
Those ar off the top of my head

Back