Giving Pete his props

Well food network was profiling an Austin restaurant so I tend to place blame on the restaurant. Traditional Frito Pie is just not upscale enough for Austin palates. No offense intended Granger.

Well it may have won the fried taste treat of this years fair but let me tell you this, it ain’t Frito Pie. Not to bad until you realize that you are paying 6 bucks for three or four big bite sized fried Frito Pie wanna be.

Chili and Fritos, no onion, no jalapeños, no cheese, and it cost 12 coupons ($6.00)

Now my hunting buddy, king James, is a coinsure of fine foods, so he decided that this week at the ranch to re-create the fried Frito Pie, a la James. His recipe included onions, jalapeños, cheese, and secret ingredient, cilantro.

First batch tasted good but didn’t hold up, second batch was awesome. James still wants to refine his offering but I managed to choke down 8-10 of the second batch with no trouble

Patton Springs Concession Stand review . . .

Looked like a fine concession stand, located in the North end of the field and prices are just about right. I had been told there was a strong possibility that there would not be Frito Pie available but I can report that rumor was false.

Easily the second best Frito pie of the season, Fresh Fritos, a really awesome chili, nacho cheese, and Jalapeños on request, but no onions. Other C-Stand fare was priced right and the workers were helpful and friendly.

fajitapete":imeecrf7 said:

Looked like a fine concession stand, located in the North end of the field and prices are just about right. I had been told there was a strong possibility that there would not be Frito Pie available but I can report that rumor was false.

Easily the second best Frito pie of the season, Fresh Fritos, a really awesome chili, nacho cheese, and Jalapeños on request, but no onions. Other C-Stand fare was priced right and the workers were helpful and friendly.

I'm assuming Ms. Syndey's original reciepe -- in portions large enough to feed a starving family for a week at $2 -- still is #1, right.

lifegatesports":a63gsbey said:
fajitapete":a63gsbey said:

I'm assuming Ms. Syndey's original recipe -- in portions large enough to feed a starving family for a week at $2 -- still is #1, right.

That's about the jest of it. If Patton Springs had added the onions . . . who's to know, I really liked the chili on the PS pie, but the portions at Loraine were enormous.

Pete wanted my report on the GC concession stand, so here it is. I had heard rumors of a rib-eye steak sandwich before I went to the game. THOSE RUMORS WERE CONFIRMED!!! A pefectly seasoned piece of real, good God fearing American, dead cow on a bun. This with a drink, chips of your choice, & your choice of a candy was very reasonably priced @ $7. I know now why their football team is so good, they know how to eat! No chick-friggin-filet sandwiches brought in there!

For those who want a frito pie report, I bit the bullet & got one in the second half. (I almost said to heck with it & went with another rib-eye sandwich.) It was good. Chili was a quality, from the can type. Fresh fritos. Plenty of cheese. They had a room to the side where all the fixings were available, onions, jalepenos, etc.

There were probably more people in GC tonight than there ever have been. Although the lines were fairly long & the girls & mommas working the stand were fairly hard pressed, they were very friendly & efficient in their work. GC is a fine community with good folks in it.

Pete ... Got a question for ya. In all this readin' of Frito Pie, I got a hankerin for it the other night and whipped up a batch (sans jalapenos) for the wife and kiddo.

What is your opinion of using the larger "scoop" size of Fritos as opposed to the traditional Fritos?

Personally, I think the "scoops" size is one of the greatest inventions known to man, but I defer to your expertise.

lifegatesports":1pmk0q5n said:
Pete ... Got a question for ya. In all this readin' of Frito Pie, I got a hankerin for it the other night and whipped up a batch (sans jalapenos) for the wife and kiddo.

What is your opinion of using the larger "scoop" size of Fritos as opposed to the traditional Fritos?

Personally, I think the "scoops" size is one of the greatest inventions known to man, but I defer to your expertise.

No doubt about it, scoops are possibly one of the greatest concepts to have been developed by Fritos. I am 100% in agreement; a scoop can be used to load up the first through the last bite. I forced myself to choke down another Loraine Frito Pie and I’ll be the first to admit that not eating one in the rain is way better than the last time. I have reports of several C-stands that have quality Frito Pies so I am looking forward to the two away games in District and hopefully several in post district play.

I still need to get down to Blackwell and try theirs, I do have an invitation you know.

OldFatAndBald confirmed the rumors of the Garden City ribeye steak sandwiches. After reading his report I am hankering for one. The price is awesome for the amount of food you get. And a room to the side where all the fixings; onions, jalapeños, etc were available? How cool is that!!

Granger might need to consider the quality of the c_stand as a variable predictor in his regression analysis of six-man teams as it appears to be a strong correlation between the fare and the teams Loraine has faced.

High Plains Drifter":1xotsmsj said:
OBK, in that case they must of had some pretty good groceries out west years ago. Ha

Ever go to the St. Lawrence Fall Festival? Some REALLY good eats out there. And Mom was a pretty darn good cook.

When is it, may have to make the trek. Lots of folks figured there was not much to eat in Brewster County but lizards and a few rabbits, but I managed to do alright. Probably nothing like St. Lawrence deal, but enough to get by.

Just googled it up. It was Oct 3rd. Dang it I was going to have my brother go buy me 10 lbs of sausage. Oh well, maybe next year.

Hey BearKat -

I missed the festival this year too as I was fighting a noxious head cold ... but my sister graciously offered to take my youngest kid (the 5 year old) off my hands and take her on to the fair last week. My mom never misses that meal. The plates of food they serve are HUGE and my sister said it was as good as ever. My favourite St Lawrence story was the year that the rattlesnake crawled into the petting zoo. Probably tempted by all those fluffy baby bunnies. They shooed all the kids on out and dealt with the snake with a hoe I think - my kids , about 3 and 11 at the time, were absolutely thrilled with it all. For a solid week they talked about that snake and the excitement. (Although to be honest my first thought, when Sarah came running up to me to announce that they all had to get out of the petting pen, was Oh Lord what did Bella do this time. Was quite releived to realize that a rattler and not my baby was the culprit on this occasion)

spitdrink.gif

Back