Ft. Hancock question

Garrett2810

11-man fan
I'm not sure if this is true but I just read on Lonestarfootball.net that Ft. Hancock is a 2a school that chooses to play sixman football. I don't know if this is true or not but if it is how is that possible? I just thought this was crazy does anybody know how that can be done if sports classifications are based on enrollment?

They were not able to compete in 11-man football. They made the decision several years ago to do what was best for their students. They play outlaw sixman and are coached by or were by Danny Medina. All other sports are in the district assigned by UIL.

So does outlaw mean they aren't in a district and just play whoever throughout the schedule all season and if so how does that work come playoffs do they make the playoffs based on a winning record?

They play a schedule but are not in a district. They are not eligible for any playoffs and their kids cannot win or earn any post season honors.

That's crazy I'm glad they can play football but hate to see a program with such a great past be put in that situation. Thanks for clearing this topic up for me.

From what I understand, when they tried 11-man, there weren't enough kids participating to field team. When they went back to outlaw 6-man, more showed up. Apparently, those kids like sixman ball and that's it. I think their enrollment is 180 or so (???). Medina no longer coaches the football team. He is the principal.

Maybe they ought to do what an old Superintendent threatened to do years ago - split into two schools......The Drifter can fill you in on the details.......

You also have to remember that the reference in the story on LSFN, speaking of Ft Hancock as 2A, is based on the new alignment, where 1A is now 2A. They were 1A last year, and will be playing against 1A Six-Man this year.

Hey Coach Jones how are you doing? On your numbers for the Fort "180" I wish we did have those numbers but in reality we have about 115 kids at the high right now. The state shows us with about 145 but 30 of those kids are not on our campus. They are attending an Early College Program in Fabens TX. They choose not to participate in athletics. So we are at about 115.
Thanks
Coach Medina

Coach Medina: Are you going to be at school tomorrow? What is a good time to call?
You will know who this is when you talk to me. Unless you have gotten old beyond the time.

Sorry but I won't be in. You can call on me Friday morning. Yea I guess I'm going to have to hear you to know who you are. Be waiting for the call.

6mandan":23tw34j6 said:
Hey Coach Jones how are you doing? On your numbers for the Fort "180" I wish we did have those numbers but in reality we have about 115 kids at the high right now. The state shows us with about 145 but 30 of those kids are not on our campus. They are attending an Early College Program in Fabens TX. They choose not to participate in athletics. So we are at about 115.
Thanks
Coach Medina

Sorry about the mis-information, coach. That's what I get for passing along rumor, haha. We will see you later this fall.

Back