Foreign exchange students and UIL meeting

Reed

Six-man fan
There is a group of us that will be attending a UIL meeting on behalf of possible rule changes regarding Foreign exchange students. I don't want to get something started on a public forum and already have a really good base to present to the UIL next Tuesday.

I would like to know some additional information on top of what we already have. If you could PM me answering this question I would appreciate it.

"what years and sport did a foreign exchange student influence the outcome of a contest and at what level (district, regional, state) and or what accolades did they earn?"

anything would be appreciated. Again, PM me as this is not designated to be a discussion on the matter.

Mike, this may or may not affect your work, but TAPPS has dealt with foreign students in its bylaws:

http://tapps.net/wp-content/uploads/byl ... ion102.pdf

I don't have time this morning to re-read the section, but my feeble recollection is that students from approved foreign exchange programs are eligible for the one year they are in the USA but not if they stay.

What the rule prohibits is ... and here's a real-world example. Several years ago, a very promising young basketball player from a foreign country was taken under the wing of a professional assistant coach and enrolled in a San Antonio TAPPS member school, outside of any established or approved foreign exchange program. That led to much of this rule.

As I was told, if you were a private school in, say Laredo, you might be able to get approval for some foreign enrolled students from, say, Nuevo Laredo, to participate in TAPPS activities at your school as they would be expected to be commuting students. But it might be harder for a private school in, say, Plano, to try that line.

As far as I am concerned, foreign exchange students should be eligible for the entire year that they are over here. The reason that they are here is to learn everything that they can in the short time that they are here, and that should include sports and our brand of competition. If you think that the majority of foreign kids who have just arrived in country, barely speak the language, and know nothing about American football are going to affect the outcome of a team, I think that you are mistaken.

I say let them be totally involved. Some day we might have an INTERNATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP SIX-MAN GAME!

Johnny South":1kepzzyb said:
As far as I am concerned, foreign exchange students should be eligible for the entire year that they are over here. The reason that they are here is to learn everything that they can in the short time that they are here, and that should include sports and our brand of competition. If you think that the majority of foreign kids who have just arrived in country, barely speak the language, and know nothing about American football are going to affect the outcome of a team, I think that you are mistaken.

I say let them be totally involved. Some day we might have an INTERNATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP SIX-MAN GAME!
This isn't really about football

Johnny

This doesn't affect football like it does international sports like Basketball, Tennis and other sports. There are schools that are getting kids from other countries with great skill that are making a huge difference.

If the UIL has foreign exchange students sit out a year, the same should apply to foster kids that move to different school districts within the state.

Edward Golden":2jes5s6a said:
Johnny

There are schools that are getting kids from other countries with great skill that are making a huge difference.
Name them. That's what Reed wanted to know.

Dogface2":1va1uawr said:
Edward Golden":1va1uawr said:
Johnny

There are schools that are getting kids from other countries with great skill that are making a huge difference.
Name them. That's what Reed wanted to know.

Twas a fine day when ol Angus Macangus showed up at RS, the Scottish HS Curling Champion 2 years running will be a Junior next year. Now we only need to get the UIL to make Curling a uIL sport.......
And maybe a big patch of Ice.....

I got beat in tennis by a foreign exchange student at regionals in 2002. I think he was from Germany. It cost me a chance to play at state.

I felt like a was cheated at the time, but I realize now that I didn't spend near enough time practicing that sport. Too many irons in the fire in the spring.

I would have been destroyed at state anyways.

I don't think anyone is trying to exclude them from getting an American education and experiences. Just don't allow them to change the outcomes of TEXAS state playoffs and championships. Let them play JV or Varsity (NON DISTRICT SCHEDULES). They still get experiences but don't change the outcomes of district or playoff games. Not at the 1A level at least. The impact 1 kid can make that has specialized in a sport for years in and is on a club sport team creates unbalanced field.

CoachT16":2qjewfna said:
Let them play JV or Varsity (NON DISTRICT SCHEDULES). They still get experiences but don't change the outcomes of district or playoff games. Not at the 1A level at least.

I would liken that to "taking a shower with a raincoat on".

CoachT16":ywifusq8 said:
I don't think anyone is trying to exclude them from getting an American education and experiences. Just don't allow them to change the outcomes of TEXAS state playoffs and championships. Let them play JV or Varsity (NON DISTRICT SCHEDULES). They still get experiences but don't change the outcomes of district or playoff games. Not at the 1A level at least. The impact 1 kid can make that has specialized in a sport for years in and is on a club sport team creates unbalanced field.

I agree 100%. There is a tad more to this than just letting an exchange student play a sport (basketball mainly).

I am glad Coach Reed is making it known that he isn't in favor of it. Our basketball playoff run a couple years ago I feel was cut short by a exchange students contributions. If a school gets one every so often and the kid has a little talent that's one thing but when the exceptional talent is repeated year after year its not just luck.

We have had a few that were athletic (young man played JV and had a wonderful time) and then we have had some that couldn't dribble a basketball.

I'm all for the exchange program. I would have loved to have sent one of my abroad for some studies but would not have let them take a spot on a varsity team that a hometown youth had worked hard to earn.

My .02 on the issue.

We got a good one this year...he did help some in basketball )although we did not make the playoffs) and he has been a talented addition to our track team. He has been a delight to coach and has made our team better not just because of his skills but his attitude and hard work ethic. He is a kid that wants to experience everything we have to offer and will and has tried everything he can. He has played every sport he possibly could and has never complained about anything. The kids and I have learned so much from him this semester and we will hate to see him go. Im glad that he was able to experience everything now since you guys want to take that opportunity away from other kids in the future. Someone stated that let them be on a JV team...everyone knows that at this level its rare that most schools have a JV and even if they do then people will complain that you have a stud on JV. Well then your probally gonna say then he should go to a larger school well I personally believe that if these kids want to experience the best this country has to offer they need to attend a small school and become involved in our small town communities, and I believe that its a shame that we want to deny them that opportunity! Also on a side note if you do this with Foreign Exchange students then you need to do it with foster kids. Foster kids moving in and making immediate impacts is much more common then foreign exchange students.....just saying

Good Point.

I still haven't seen the data
proving/strongly suggsting
that all these exchange students
have affected the outcome of X number of games.

The UIL meeting was a successful venture. Thank you for all those that sent me info. There will be a policy meeting in June where I am confident that a change is on the horizon where foreign exchange students can have the varsity level experience without effecting district or playoff games.

The main underling current for those if you that are unaware. Is that these placement agencies are giving schools bio info on the students that are very detailed into their athletic successes in their countries. The schools that bring these students into their schools are very much aware if their abilities. And one school in particular has 3 of then living with school employees.

The placement individuals recieve awards such as summer vacations overseas and etc.

There will be a survey soon for supts. But too many individuals are a nware of he spark in the grass right now awaiting to ignite.

But please tell supts the issues ahead. We will know more in June

Back