Foreign exchange students and UIL meeting

This is my opinion and I'm sticking to it. It is just amazing how a lot of folks like to blame their failures on other people. Their lack of success is always the fault of someone else, such as a non-english speaking soccer-playing kid from Latvia, or a foster kid who was raised for his first twelve years in a chicken coop. If we can just make a new rule or pass another law, then I will be the top man on the coaching totem pole, and I will still be coaching the same way, using the same losing techniques that I have always used. nuff sedd.

I know this is a subject that has some people shouting that it's all a bunch of "sour grapes" by a select few who have possibly been affected, but this statement right here is recruiting plain and simple:

"The main underling current for those if you that are unaware. Is that these placement agencies are giving schools bio info on the students that are very detailed into their athletic successes in their countries. The schools that bring these students into their schools are very much aware if their abilities. And one school in particular has 3 of then living with school employees."

I know way back 25 years ago, foreign exchange students were a big thing at my HS. I graduated with 4 of them. 1 was our kicker, played varsity bball, and qualified for state in the 1600m. I don't know what the heck the other 3 did other than be a part of our school. All 4 received a great experience - but considering only 1 of the 4 played sports, I'm pretty sure my HS wasn't recruiting. We simply got lucky with the one good athlete.

The quote above from Coach Reed indicates that there is a direct attempt at some schools to receive a competitive advantage by targeting foreign exchange students with a particular skill set.

On a side note, this is happening to kids at the collegiate level as well - even tiny WTC in Snyder. My 400/800m state medalist from last year wanted to explore running at the next level, but wanted to stay close to this area. Was told he had to walk on to the program because their limited scholarship money for their distance runners was going to 2 incoming Freshman from Africa. I have a bigger problem with taxpayer money paying for a foreign national's education at the expense of an American, than an exchange student being recruited to bolster a HS program in UIL competition.

However, recruiting is recruiting - it is wrong & if people are using the foreign exchange program to recruit, they've made the playing field uneven & the UIL should address the situation.

I totally agree that the ones abusing the system for their own personal gain should face consequences! I would hate for the stupidity of the few to hurt the majority though. Instead of taking away from the program why doesn't uil just punish the schools involved? Also how is this scenario any different from the towns that set up foster homes for the same reasons?

Recruiting is recruiting..doesn't matter if it comes from within the state of Texas or in a foreign exchange program. I for one (as a parent) would be highly upset if my son or daughter worked their butt off and committed to a school program to just be replaced by a kid that comes over from a foreign country to "Experience the American Culture." Some folks think that winning at all costs is what is expected but it isn't just about winning, it is about the ENTIRE experience of participating in extracurricular activities and growing as young men and women. I agree that foreign exchange students should experience the American culture but not at the expense of local kids. Our last exchange student was a wonderful kid that brought culture to our community and he is a great kid but he could care less if he played on a varsity team..he just wanted to have fun and meet life long friends.

You are correct on this....

I guess I am crying in my cereal right now.

It's frustrating that if I wanted to send my son to live with a friend to experience a year if varsity experience at Abiline high who will be contending for a state championship. Experience all the big school life and the education that comes with it. My son has to sit out 365 days to become eligible. A foreign exchange pays $100 to get to play.

Also. When I start coaching a kid when he's in junior high and a team when they are in their devopmental years I'm building the future. If the team doesn't have a Qb or doesn't have a point guard or my relay is short one leg of going to the state track meet. Then I develop a kid or I don't win. Which I can live with because the end result was that we didn't have the pieces or as a coach we couldn't develop a kid.

As schools are figuring out. We need a Reciever, or a post, or a tennis guy, or relay guy, the just simply use the portfolio system currently set up. Even can use with technology, such as Facebook, Instagram, you tube , etc. to look up the prospects interested and find the missing link. There's not coaching in that. I can handle losing (well sorta) but I want it to be cause I failed to build the prices, not because I failed at searching to find the right prospect.

As far as foster kids go. I'm not aware of anything unethical. Much like those of you are not fully aware on the levels that schools are taking in UIL academics and athletics to garner success. We have proof that it is going on. And we tried to take action with the facts we had. Only to fall short cause we weren't the CIA and was in hopes the parties involved with be honest. To no avail. The agencies would not comply.

I'm ok that everyone is not going to agree. A few bad apples spoil the batch. No question.

But policies and laws will always change with times. To think that's a way to manipulate a system to benifit myself or others to where we can win is not even an educational response. Isn't that government?

All I'm saying. If a kid moves without his guardian then he fills out a parent residence waiver rule to be looked at by Uil to consider eligibility. If my son moved without us then he waits 365 days. End of story.

Back