Football Field History

JacketMom

11-man fan
I was asked about the age of our football field by a poster on another website and I found out and posted the following information about Aubry Bradley Stadium in Chester:

"The field was built in 1933 but not played on until 1944 (although at this point I am unsure why) and had hardwood bleachers on both sides. Games before 1944 were played out at the old Pump Station. The concrete bleachers were built in the early 1950's by a government work crew called WPA (and for those that are unaware they are only on one side of the field). So today it is 82 years old but we are playing our 71st season at Aubry Bradley Stadium since it was 11 years before it was used. How is that for history! I love going to games there because it is so nostalgic. We probably have one of the most unique and oldest stadiums in use today. People may make fun of us but I wouldn't trade it AT&T stadium or any other."

I love to learn about history and love to hear our older generation talk about their glory days. It's fun to learn about the past.

So my question is...how many of you know the history of your field and is it as old and nostalgic as ours? I think we are the only UIL stadium around our area, that the visiting and home crowds sit on the same side. Makes it easier for the cheerleaders to go meet their visitors for their second half introductions I guess!

Mom, the WPA or Works Progress Administration was started in 1933 & dissolved in 1943. It was created to furnish jobs during the depression years.

smokeyjoe53":1qcmg5ak said:
Mom, the WPA or Works Progress Administration was started in 1933 & dissolved in 1943. It was created to furnish jobs during the depression years.

1950's may have been typo in the message I received...I will try to find out more.

Off your topic but the WPA had a lot to do with the development of Longhorn Caverns, Buchanan Dam & the Highland lakes area here in Central Texas. Helped bring electricity to the rural area.

JacketMom":37qyypfd said:
I was asked about the age of our football field by a poster on another website and I found out and posted the following information about Aubry Bradley Stadium in Chester:

"The field was built in 1933 but not played on until 1944 (although at this point I am unsure why) and had hardwood bleachers on both sides. Games before 1944 were played out at the old Pump Station. The concrete bleachers were built in the early 1950's by a government work crew called WPA (and for those that are unaware they are only on one side of the field). So today it is 82 years old but we are playing our 71st season at Aubry Bradley Stadium since it was 11 years before it was used. How is that for history! I love going to games there because it is so nostalgic. We probably have one of the most unique and oldest stadiums in use today. People may make fun of us but I wouldn't trade it AT&T stadium or any other."

I love to learn about history and love to hear our older generation talk about their glory days. It's fun to learn about the past.

So my question is...how many of you know the history of your field and is it as old and nostalgic as ours? I think we are the only UIL stadium around our area, that the visiting and home crowds sit on the same side. Makes it easier for the cheerleaders to go meet their visitors for their second half introductions I guess!

I like the history of things also. I'll have to add your stadium to my must see list.

Most of the fields in our area aren't that unique but have lots of history most likely. As far as unique/unusual I would have to put the one at Spur ISD up at the top in this area. Anyone have any info on this stadium/field? It had to be a multi use venue or was something other than a football field in its earlier life. It has an amphitheater feel/look to it.

Nothing says football better than concrete bleachers in Nov/Dec!!!

I wonder how old the Gorman stadium is with it's concrete seats on both sides and that old rock fence around it. Been some years since I was there but I think Rising Star had a similar setup.

If my information is correct, the CCC was the main labor force in the development of the Longhorn Caverns.
The Richland Springs rock gymnasium was a WPA project in the late thirties I believe. Several more of the gyms at the small schools in central Texas were also WPA projects.

The "old" Evant gym was a WPA project as well. It is a big 'ole monster gym and hosted many, many town events and tons of great basketball games (and some not so great). They have a new gym today, but the old one will always have a special place in my heart.

coach_gillespie":2xteu036 said:
http://livingnewdeal.org/map/

--you're welcome-- :)
The Evant gymnasium and auditorium was not listed, and Evant wasn’t pinned on their map so I dug out my Evant school history book and there was a lot of interesting (to me) stuff. Evant got a lot of small communities to consolidate their high schools with them for the ’35 school year by promising them bus service and telling them of the advantages of an affiliated school. Cow House school donated their brick school house to Evant and they tore it down and cleaned the material using workers on relief and got $3,000 worth of material from it. They needed to remodel the school due to the increase in students and wanted to build a gym. They floated a $5,000 bond issue and were granted $15,000 for the gym and $4,000 for the remodeling of the school building from the Federal Government giving them a working fund of $27,000.
The tentative plans and specifications were drafted by the superintendent and submitted to the WPA office in Waco. According to this book this was the first project submitted and approved at Waco under the new WPA program. The final plans were drawn and there are extensive details about the progression of the work as fast as the government wanted it done. Rocks and river sand and gravel was donated (estimated to be valued at $2,000). And the cost of many things are listed and there was lots and lots of cooperation by all surrounding communities.
I thought this was interesting- The construction of the walls was watched with considerable interest, being a new venture in construction. The rear wall, a little over 40 feet high, was at that time the highest of any known flagstone wall in the United States. They had some problems but overcame them. The gym was completed and ready for use for the ’35-’36 school year at a cost of $18,400.

olderelk":6ycsvo5z said:
coach_gillespie":6ycsvo5z said:
http://livingnewdeal.org/map/

--you're welcome-- :)
The Evant gymnasium and auditorium was not listed, and Evant wasn’t pinned on their map so I dug out my Evant school history book and there was a lot of interesting (to me) stuff. Evant got a lot of small communities to consolidate their high schools with them for the ’35 school year by promising them bus service and telling them of the advantages of an affiliated school. Cow House school donated their brick school house to Evant and they tore it down and cleaned the material using workers on relief and got $3,000 worth of material from it. They needed to remodel the school due to the increase in students and wanted to build a gym. They floated a $5,000 bond issue and were granted $15,000 for the gym and $4,000 for the remodeling of the school building from the Federal Government giving them a working fund of $27,000.
The tentative plans and specifications were drafted by the superintendent and submitted to the WPA office in Waco. According to this book this was the first project submitted and approved at Waco under the new WPA program. The final plans were drawn and there are extensive details about the progression of the work as fast as the government wanted it done. Rocks and river sand and gravel was donated (estimated to be valued at $2,000). And the cost of many things are listed and there was lots and lots of cooperation by all surrounding communities.
I thought this was interesting- The construction of the walls was watched with considerable interest, being a new venture in construction. The rear wall, a little over 40 feet high, was at that time the highest of any known flagstone wall in the United States. They had some problems but overcame them. The gym was completed and ready for use for the ’35-’36 school year at a cost of $18,400.

Cool info. You ought to submit this so they can update the site. I wondered about the old gym at Strawn but it was not on the map or list either. Was surprised to find the dam for Lake Tucker there on both. Kind of cool that it's now part of a State Park.

Back