ever been 6 man player go pro?

They were not playing 6man at the time but J.D. Smith played ball for Richland Springs. He was an All-Pro offensive lineman for the Philadelphia Eagles in the 60's. I believe he has a championship ring from 1960. He also played for Detroit for 2 years.

I had heard Dewayne Miles played on the Minnesota Vikings practice team for a little while. Im sure someone on here can confirm if that was true or not.

Miles was on both the Minnesota and Green Bay practice squads for a bit and played a bit in NFL Europe

After I read the foreword by Troy Aikman for "Grit And Glory Six-Man Football" I was fooled into thinking he played 6 man ball.
Turns out he didn't. He said some purty words about it though.

Wikipedia shows Jack Pardee (already mentioned) and Ed Sprinkle.
"Jack Pardee, who played in the 1950s at Christoval High School in Texas is a 6-man player who played and coached in the NFL,
Chicago Bear Ed Sprinkle, who played six-man football at Tuscola High School in 1939, is another former
Texas High School 6-man player who played in the NFL."

Ed Sprinkle was one of the guys listed on the the all-time greatest list and was an all-pro I believe in the Pro's. Ask oneday he has done some research on Ed Sprinkle.

this topic again... I'd have to look them all back up but I had a nice list at one point...

SEVERAL out of Nebraska that were in HS in the 40 and 50s went on to play in the NFL.

There was a player for the Redskins that played six-man in North Carolina at a segregated school...his name escapes me at the moment...

Ed Sprinkle was the most decorated out of Texas (4 pro bowls), he played his Sr. year at Tuscola HS the 1939 season on Tuscola's first ever football team.

Pardee is the obvious one everyone will tell you.

NON-Football Pros include:
MLB - Roy Face - who played in the majors from 1953-1969 and he was one of the first modern closers, playing mainly for the Pirates. He was a Fullback on his HS football team in Stephentown, NY and they played six-man.

Carl Yazstremski played six-man in HS at least one season until his dad made him quite and focus on baseball...good choice I'd say.

Coaches:
Pardee again...

Hayden Fry - SMU, Iowa, others...Fry coached six-man football while in the Marianes (little known fact that the uS military used six-man football as a sports activity during and a little after WWII)

A side note...while he didn't play six-man...Hall of Famer Curt Gowdy's first every broadcast was of a high school six-man football game in 1943 in Cheyenne, WY

Back