Don Hardin passes away

We at Borden County would like to express our deepest sympathy for the family of one if the greatest six-man ambassadors of all time. Don came to Borden several times over the past few years and always displayed that one and only smile that he would give and show to the thousands of coaches, players and fans that he came in contact with. What a great man and a great loss to the six-man family but more importantly a great loss to the Hardin family. But, our loss is the good lords gain. He gas the greatest seat in the house which he always searched for in the many stadiums that he visited over the years. Don you will be sorely missed. We loved you and will always remember the great man, fan, father, friend and husband that you were. May God wrap his loving arms around your family and friends. May God be with your family during this very difficult time. Prayers sent to you from Trey Richey, the Richey family, the coyote family, the Gail community and the entire six-man family

I'm inexcusably late to this thread. Although informed a week ago of Mr. Hardin's untimely and shockingly sudden passing, I intentionally avoided coming to SMF dot com slash boards because I knew there would be a thread like this.

I don't know why knowing that there would be a thread like this made me avoid the message board. But it did. I'm not against threads like this in general. I'm not against anyone posting on threads like this. Maybe I just didn't want to face the reality that what happened to Mr. Hardin and his family was real. You can delete a text, or you can avoid it, or you can turn off your notifications. But one must make a conscious effort to click on this thread, and continue clicking through each page.

Ultimately, though, I just hate death - and everything he brings with him.

Regardless of all that rambling -

I had the privilege of corresponding with Mr. Hardin on several occasions. In the beginning, I was being a rainjack to him over his rankings and picks. But he was always courteous and cordial in reply. ALWAYS. He was unflappable: that's probably the most irritating response possible when trying to be a rainjack. He was - and will continue to be - the consummate ambassador for everything good about our sport. If we were all more like him, there would be a lot more of us.

Thank you Mr. Hardin. Condolences and a special thank you to his family for sharing him with Six-Man football.

I hardly ever look at sixmanfootball.com untill about June when things start to slow down for me at work. But, for some reason I decided to take a look and see what was happening with the Coaching shake up and was floored with sadness when I read about Don Hardins passing! I am so very sorry to hear this news. I realize its been a month now but for me it feels like it just happened. I would like to share my Don Hardin story.
I have 2 son's who played 6 man football at McLean, My oldest son Zane was a 4 year starter in basketball but only played football his senior year & graduated in 2005 and went on to college on a basketball scholarship. My younger son Zach played both all 4 years & graduated in 2008. Zach Made (div 2) 1st team All State in football and in basketball his senior year then went on to college on a golf scholarship. Anyway, after McLean got defeated in the playoffs we wanted to go to the playoff games we could make. My son Zach and I traveled to, I think it was Trent, to watch a playoff game. We did't know anyone in the stands. Early December it was cold of course and Zach had on his letter jacket. We hadn't been seated in the stands maybe 2 minuets when a gentleman tapped my son on the shoulder and asked is your name Zach? Yes sir he answered, Well Zach it is an honor to meet you my name is Don Hardin! Don sat down with us and went on to tell Zach about several of the honors Zach and Zane had accumulated through thier high school years he even knew some stats! We talked about specific games and plays! Don Hardin spent the entire game sitting with us and talking 6 man football. Zach and I barely remember the game that night, but, We will never forget meeting and spending a few hours with Don Hardin. We were both blown away by his knowlege of a couple kids who he had never even met. We are so very greatful to have met him! Below is a message we sent each other about our visit...
S M Fan
Bobby Richardson- McLean, Tx.

Subject: wow Wow WOW
Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:05 am
S M Fan wrote:

It was great to actually meet and watch the Follett - Ft. Davis game with the infamous Don Hardin last night. What a great guy! Very friendly and knows his sixman football all across the state. I have been reading your blogs and posts for years. My son Zach and I really enjoyed meeting you and visiting with you. Hope we run into you next week for the state championship. And I hope it is at Lubbock Lowery field. It would be a great location, very nice facility. Once again Mr. Hardin thank you for a nice visit.
S M Fan

Message subject:
Re: wow Wow WOW
donhardin
Sent:
Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:30 am
To:
S M Fan

Thanks for the kind words. I have met many fans of the game over the years in situations just like last night. Truly, the pleasure was and is mine. If you would like you can email me anytime at [email protected]
It may not be this side of Heaven but we will run into each other again somewhere sometime.
Thanks for the visit.
Don Hardin
Abilene, TX

This is my very 1st post on 6man website, and i couldn't think of a better topic to comment about than this one. I would just like to say I still struggle with the passing of my good friend Don Hardin. Everytime I look at my phone and see his name pop up on my contacts, I think of a memory we shared. He helped me through some very tough times in my life, and I am very greatful to have known him and been able to share in his vast knowledge not only in 6man football, but also in the game of life. He was a true human being, and is still deeply missed. I know he will be watching from above on every six man football game played this next season. Hope us coach's honor him with class and dignity in this upcoming 2013 season! He would want it that way. Thanks again for all the memories Don, you have not been forgotten my freind. And i hope you are holding up in Heaven better than "Fair to Midland." HAPPY FOOTBALL TO YA ALL!!!

Been wondering about the standing of the scholarship. Also if anyone might have heard from his kids about the bench in Hico or anything else. I guess they are still coming to the Don Hardin Texas Bowl?

Also, I never mentioned this at the time but I still think back on it often. The day after I learned about his passing I had an unusual thing happen. I was down over Don at work when a young man stuck his head in my office door. He had been to my house a few times but never work. He graduated with my daughter and I really enjoyed watching hip play ball for several years. He was the state mvp in 08. He was just in town to visit a friend and get his truck detailed. We talked for about 10 minutes. His visit lifted my spirits. After he left I had a sudden chill and thought, Don did you have a hand in this?
I know, just a coincidence, but a welcome one.

Greatness! There my Brother,,,Hi Press,,Elmo and i are still here
Maybe i can get him away from his wife to come see you guys this year

Thanks Bill O'Rielly

Back