Defensive Schemes

Coach Adams

Six-man fan
I am a first year coach at Apple Springs High School in East Texas. Well, if you know anything about East Texas you this is a strong based football area. However, very little is known about Six Man football. Here at Apple Springs we will be playing Six Man for the first time this year. I have received information about the 3-2 and 4-2 defenses against tight formations. But, I am trying to figure out different options against spread offenses. I am also looking for terminology, reads, blitz packages, techniques, and drills. Any help would be appreciated. You can e-mail me at [email protected]<p>[ August 15, 2005: Message edited by: EastTexasCoach ]

Get underwood's book on 6-man football. The original was from about 72; there is a new edition that just came out last month. Get Dan Sebastians's book on 6-man, there is a link at: <A>www.us6man.com.</A> Its a good web site also. I think you can order Underwood's book through Granger on this board. There are several really good 6-man coaches who have retired over the last 5 years or so, ask Granger to give you the e-mails for 4 or 5 of them. The current coaches are like you, right in the middle of a season. They'll be of more help over the summer when the Clinics are held. Good luck.

1-3-2, have one guy speed rush and three linebacker, very quick linebacker and have them drop back into zones and 2 safetys covering over the top guarding the spread guys

Here in Montana, the best spread defense is run by Highwood. I understand they run a zone package and run either 1-4-1 or 1-3-2. At Floys, NM, we played with the 1-3-2, but I had my best luck with a 2-3-1 and ran man coverage on the outside. The Safety had the center man-to-man, Runs two ends and the MLB watches for the dump. Works very well if you have player that can bump and run and your have a quick MLB. With less talented athletes, I would have probably went 1-3-2.

ANCIENT HISTORY (I am 74 years old). When I played 6-Man Football (mid 1950's) we used the 3-2-1, 3-1-2, 3-3, and 4-2. We used to play vs. T's, Wing-T's, Single Wing, Short Punt, & Spreads, back then.

This book may be outdated (editions were printed in 1940, & revised in 1954). - but it can still be found on ABEBOOKS.COM (used) for just a few dollars:

"Six Man Football" by Ray O. Duncan = EXCELLENT text on 6-Man Football.

Back