Offensive Schemes

CleverUsername1

11-man fan
I already started a similar thread about a week ago regarding 11 man schemes, but this time I have a slightly different question for some of you experts who travel and watch 6 man football from all over the state. What offenses do some of the most successful teams in the state run? Formation, run heavy, pass heavy, play selection etc. And no offense but I'm not interested in what some team that was one and done in the playoffs 10 years ago runs. I'm talking about teams like Crowell, Abbott (although I already know what they run), Happy, Richland Springs, etc. Double points for historical teams like the old Ft. Hancock teams. I'm curious to see if there is any one or two formations that the most successful teams use or have used throughout 6-man history. Thanks for any help yall can provide.

Suggest you pick up a copy of "Six Man Football" by Coach C.H. Underwood. Coming from the 11 man game this helped. Here are a couple they feature in the book:
-O'Brien Wingset used in the 60's - 1960-65 - Coach Thorn at O'Brien High went 45-5, 1 Bi-District Championship and Two undefeated championships.
-O'Brien Veer - 70's - 1972 they were so successful with it every game ended with the mercy rule.
-Unbalanced I - used every decade to win a state championship - Coach Lee was 191-63-3 using including state championship in 2000.
-Option Offense - Coach Jones at Marathon was 23-1 over two years in 75-76, state finalist in 75 and champs in 76. Eleven years as coach he was 108-22.
-Trapping Offense - Coach Wellman at Guthrie was 199-94-1, #4 all time winningest coach at the books production.
-Trips Spread - Coach Campbell @ Gordon is the all time winningest coach (abp) with 247-61-2. State champs in 96 and 99.
-Slot Spread at Fort Hancock - won 4 straight state titles from 88-91.

There are many variations of the above offenses and others not named. The best offense is one that can utilize his players talents to maximize results.

CHANTftbl is spot on in his response. It's all about talent and how to best utilize it.
There is no "one size fits all" offense, especially in 6 man.
And if all else fails, call time out and draw up a play in the dirt!

Back