Defense movement

CoachHayes

11-man fan
During our game last week the defensive lineman were making quick movements with their arms towards the line of scrimmage the official told me that this was not an attempt to draw us offside since they were not in the neutral zone or moving their feet...but clearly this was an attempt to draw us offside

coyote_king":t7u895zc said:
Sort of like the defensive players saying "hut" that I've seen. Seems pretty bush league.

That would be USC , 15 yards.

As for the first one, until somebody jumps, aint nothing.

cowman52":yubvkffp said:
coyote_king":yubvkffp said:
Sort of like the defensive players saying "hut" that I've seen. Seems pretty bush league.

That would be USC , 15 yards.

Umm... This is Disconcerting signals and is specifically addressed in the rule book, 7.1.5.a.3, the penalty for this dead ball foul is 5 yards... It is not a UNS foul.

No player shall use words or signals that disconcert opponents when they are preparing to put the ball in play. No player may call defensive signals that simulate the sound or cadence of (or otherwise interfere with) offensive starting signals.

CoachHayes":8dcnne0x said:
During our game last week the defensive lineman were making quick movements with their arms towards the line of scrimmage the official told me that this was not an attempt to draw us offside since they were not in the neutral zone or moving their feet...but clearly this was an attempt to draw us offside

Here is the specific rule 7.1.5.a.4... This is classified as delay of game against the defense, it is also a dead ball foul.

Player(s) aligned in a stationary position within one yard of the line of scrimmage may not make quick, abrupt or exaggerated actions that are not part of normal defensive player movement.

If the offense doesn't react, there really is no advantage gained by the defense in this case. So it should likely be handled with a warning, but if the offense reacts it should be on the defense, rarely is that what actually happens, unfortunately, and you get a cheap and incorrect false start charged against the offense and it perpetuates the behavior.

Back