D5 Championship Friday 10-30

Who will win? Lifegate or Heritage

• Seguin Lifegate Christian School

Votes: 11 52.4%
  • Fredericksburg Heritage School

Votes: 10 47.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Gotta tell one more Heritage-Lifegate story.

Back in 2005, the Falcons and Eagles met at the old Freddy Jr High field and both teams were 8-0. In fact, I think it was the first time we played in Freddy.

Anyway, we're the upstarts and all week on the boards I'm telling my pals from Heritage that they have nothing to worry about, tell the kids to work on their studies and skip practice, yada, yada, yada.

I even offered to send an ice cream truck up for practice and invited the squad to eat their fill (I figured it was probably our only chance ... to have the team sick with stomach aches).

Anyway, I get up to Freddy and one of the first guys I see is Brad Sultemeier (then their AD, now their prinicipal). I ask him if the ice cream truck made it to practice and he starts laughing. Seems the spanish teacher brought a big ol' pan full of the greasiest enchiladas known to man for the kids to eat for lunch, and when he sees 'em he says, "I'm sure Taddy had something to do with this."

Evidentally, the team didn't eat too many, because they feasted on Falcon stew and won 48-0 at half.

Pregame report from the press:

(Also note, the local radio station KWED 1580 AM will cover Lifegate during their pregame show starting at 6:00 pm; www.seguintoday.com; Lifegate report usually starts around 6:50; scores will be announced during the Seguin HS game broadcast starting at 7:30)

http://www.seguingazette.com/story.lass ... 2924d71d9b

Falcons try to topple Heritage

By Tucker Stephenson
The Seguin Gazette-Enterprise
Published October 30, 2009

FREDERICKSBURG — It’s fitting that the Fredericksburg Heritage Eagles (3-5, 2-0) wear green, because they’ve been Lifegate’s kryptonite for the past seven years.

In their program’s short history, the Falcons (9-0, 2-0) have yet to find a way to upend Heritage, but it would appear that tonight marks Lifegate’s best chance ever to do so.

With an undefeated squad and talent all over the field, head coach John Rabon’s squad will look to claim the first outright district title in school history tonight against a Heritage team that’s currently in a rare rebuilding mode.

“They’ve pretty much dominated this division and I think the first year they got here was the only year they haven’t made the playoffs,” Rabon said. “They’ve made it seven years in a row and have won four or five state championships.”

With back-to-back wins over Town East (42-20) and Believers (58-12), Heritage clinched another trip to the playoffs this year. And although the Eagles have looked impressive in district, they haven’t looked as sharp as Lifegate, which beat those two teams by a combined score of 139-30.

The Falcons knew that the trio of Austin Swick, Matt Akin and Caleb Tate would be a solid nucleus going into the season, but it has been the emergence of players like Tyler Swisher and Kolton Coffman that has made the team look capable of doing some very special things.

And with super subs Joe Millican and Matt Scott also making plays, Lifegate fans have reason to believe that this is the year the Falcons soar past the Eagles.

Kickoff is slated for 7:30 p.m. in Fredericksburg.

Copyright © 2009 The Gazette-Enterprise

well just by looking at the score it was one impressive game. this is a tough district and if you can make it out alive you have a good shot at state right along with DTS

True champions do not fade quietly into the night. Proof last night at Billie Stadium.

The Falcons earned their district championship last night ... congratulations Coach Rabon and the squad. Note to Rabon: Be sure to pack dry clothes for each game. Those guys have the gatorade shower trick down pretty well.

I have seen the promised land ... Lifegate 53, Heritage 44. A night I've been looking forward to since August 2003.

Congratulations to the Falcons - the score indicates an exciting game. Wish I could have seen it.

I don't think that the Eagles are finished for the year, though.....

http://www.seguingazette.com/story.lass ... 5bee9b1d15

Lifegate takes district title

By Tucker Stephenson
The Seguin Gazette-Enterprise
Published November 1, 2009

FREDERICKSBURG — There’s a phenomenon in sports that’s known as “making the leap.”

Basically, it occurs when a team or individual goes from being good to great, breaking through the wall that has previously been holding them back.

And on Friday night, the Lifegate Falcons (10-0, 3-0) collectively made the leap courtesy of their 53-44 win over Fredericksburg Heritage (3-6, 2-1) — a team that Lifegate had lost to in each of its first seven tries.

The win also gave head coach John Rabon’s team its first outright district title in school history and extended Lifegate’s record winning streak into double-digits, forcing the coach to test the reality of the situation come Saturday morning.

“I had to wake up and pinch myself to make sure it was real,” Rabon said with a laugh.

The game itself was more than real — it was an absolute slugfest right from the beginning.

Lifegate struck first with a four-yard pass from Austin Swick to Matt Akin, but Heritage answered with four-yard scoring pass of their own, then taking a one-point lead with a successful two-point kick.

The Falcons grabbed the lead back on a 16-yard pass from Swick to Brendan Gravett, but back came the Eagles, putting two more scores on the board to take a 22-13 advantage going into the second quarter.

Lifegate then wrestled the momentum back with three consecutive touchdowns, scoring on a 32-yard run from Akin, a 55-yard run from Tate and a 75-yard sprint by Swick to post a 32-22 lead that it would never relinquish.

But Heritage proved that former champions die hard, cutting the lead to four on two different occasions. In the end though, the Falcons sealed the victory with a couple of knees thanks to a heads-up play from Swick.

“We just broke another run and Austin Swick, instead of going into the end zone, he just ran around down there by their goal line trying to burn up clock and we just knelt the last 20 seconds,” Rabon said. “I got doused with the water cooler, everybody was real excited, and a lot of the fans and the players were pretty emotional about (the win).”

The Falcons’ second-quarter turnaround was set up by the team’s defense, as it stopped the Eagles twice on fourth-down tries — once on a big tackle from Tyler Swisher that occurred on his team’s five-yard line.

That set up Swick’s 75-yard burst, which was answered by the Eagles on an 11-yard pass that narrowed the score to 32-28 going into halftime.

Lifegate then outscored Heritage 14-8 in the third quarter, taking command of the game for good.

Matt Akin opened the second half with a two-yard touchdown run, followed by a Heritage score and an answer from the duo of Swick and Kolton Coffman.

Coffman found the speedy senior for a 28-yard touchdown, and Lifegate would tack on another score in the fourth quarter on a 19-yard jaunt by Akin.

All told, the junior had four scores in the win, with Swick matching that effort in a versatile performance. The senior passed for two touchdowns, ran one in and also caught a score in the Falcons’ win, also converting a two-point PAT in the third quarter.

As a team, Lifegate missed four point-after tries, but successfully added three one-point attempts. The Falcons outgained Heritage 475 to 344, and recovered two fumbles in the contest — both by Tate.

Lifegate will now get a much-deserved bye week before it prepares to host a first-round playoff game on either Nov. 13 or 14, facing the winner of Friday’s matchup between Brownwood Victory Life and Wichita Falls Christian.

Copyright © 2009 The Gazette-Enterprise

Such a fun game this game was. We showed that we play as a team... They tried taking away the short ball we threw the long ball... they take away the pass we run the ball... a great defensive scheme by freddy though and they were such great sports out there. we all had a lot of fun and i sure enjoyed being a part of Lifegate's first win over Freddy and our first outright district title...

First off, great article...

Second, I wish I would have stayed to watch... Haha
I can't wait to see the game film...

Third, is brownwood still playing without a head coach/ athletic director?

Don't worry Brendan.. Rob compared you to Jerry rice... Jumpin and snagging balls... I'm proud of you bro... Yall enjoy this bye week but I think Freddy showed us we have to step up the intensity at practice... As a captain it's officially your job to make sure it happens... Great job again and I'll be home for the first and second round in the playoffs...

seguinlifegate":2z5acivz said:
Don't worry Brendan.. Rob compared you to Jerry rice... Jumpin and snagging balls... I'm proud of you bro... Yall enjoy this bye week but I think Freddy showed us we have to step up the intensity at practice... As a captain it's officially your job to make sure it happens... Great job again and I'll be home for the first and second round in the playoffs...

Jeremy ... I told you you didn't look well and should have stayed in town a couple more days. I think if you had been strong enough to travel to Freddy on Friday, it would have proved it's time for you to go back to work ...

Anyway, you missed Brendan making his David Tyree impression (Super Bowl XL something a couple years back), catching the ball on his helmet and setting up a key score. Maybe momma can make an extra copy of the DVD and you can catch it. Reminds me ... I want one of those, too.

thing is jeremy they knew we could out play em so they tried to outscheme us but our coaches pulled thru wit some great stratagy and that was the difference in the game. P.S. we coulda scored one more touchdown but Austin laid down on the two instead of scoring

lifegatesports":m84yiwji said:
True champions do not fade quietly into the night. Proof last night at Billie Stadium.

The Falcons earned their district championship last night ... congratulations Coach Rabon and the squad. Note to Rabon: Be sure to pack dry clothes for each game. Those guys have the gatorade shower trick down pretty well.

I have seen the promised land ... Lifegate 53, Heritage 44. A night I've been looking forward to since August 2003.

Glad you made it John!! :shock: Heritage is a class act and Coach Shipman is top shelf .Lots of respect for their team, coaches and fans. Our players read and post here..so I want to point out that Fredericksburg's team had a handful of seniors ,NO juniors,and mainly sophmores. Make NO MISTAKE. we need to work harder in strength training NOW and in the OFF SEASON if you want to hang with these guys next year. period. Just one more note...think I mentioned to TE coach the fact that if Freddy didn't cover #22 Austin and #19 Matt , they would put up 8 TD's on you...guess what. 8 TD's. Ya, and Brendon caught a pass at full stride ,turned sideways, at eye level.there is a God...

Couple of things a few days later.

First, thanks to the folks at Heritage for their fellowship, friendship and hospitality Friday night. It was nice to have a post-game meal without Falcon stew on the menu. A class act up there, win or lose. Until last Friday, the lose thing was kind of a theoretical thing ... but the Eagles -- coaches, players, fans -- were as gracious in defeat as in victory. It is a lesson many of us could learn and take an occasional refresher course.

After the game, the head referee stopped Coach Rabon (and I would expect Coach Shipman as well) to complement each team on the sportsmanship -- no trash talking in this ball game.

Probably the BEST six man game I have ever seen (although the OT finals of Heritage/Glenview might rank up there, too).

I'm almost feeling sorry for Lifegate beating Heritage ... nah, not yet.

Back