"Cut-blocking" in Six Man vs. illegal block below the waist

jjloehr

11-man fan
Interested in hearing insights on this topic:

* watched a game a few weeks ago where a team was extremely well-coached in cut-blocking, usually executing 2-4 on each running play.

* on film, 50% of their running plays showed at least 1 cut-block that would have been flagged by NCAA rules.

* Except where explicitly stated, NCAA rules govern six-man in Texas, I believe.

* 2015 NCAA Rules define "low block zone" (LBZ) (7 yds left and right of center, 14 yds wide, 5 yds past LOS, and all the way back to offense's endline.

* Outside of LBZ, a cut-block must be:
----> "frontal" in angle of initial contact, specifically between "10 o'clock" and "2 o'clock" of frontside.
----> "directional" towards outer near sideline or downfield, never back towards inside area of snap, or backwards towards offense's endline. This rule completely eliminates "crack blocking" below the waist.

* cut-blocking is almost humorous to watch when done legally, but potentially severe injury causing when done illegally -> rules try to ensure that a player will always see the cut block coming and have time to evade, or at least fall down to avoid hyper-extension of a knee. Hence, illegal block below the waist, i.e., cut-blocking is a personal foul, not a procedural foul.

* given that there was zero enforcement of a rule which was broken on 50% of the running plays, well over a dozen times, is there an agreement somewhere I've not yet seen that makes cut-blocking legal under all circumstances in six-man? If not, why would TASO refs not try to enforce, at least in some measure?

We utilize cut block techniques and have had decent success. We have also faced a number of teams who do it as well. Its part of the game and we work on it everyday, offensively and defensively.

There are no exceptions to NCAA rules in six-man variation pertaining to blocking below the waste. Why the fouls were not enforced is a question only the crew working that contest can answer.

Unless something has changed and we have been uninformed cut blocking is legal anywhere on the field. To eliminate the cut block especially in 6man would be an unfair advantage over the little guys and would lead to a whole new safety risk. The only cut block that is illegal (and should be) is when you are coming from the outside back in.

We recently played a game in Fredericksburg and had a flag thrown for cut blocking. When I asked the ref what the flag was he said it was an illegal cut block. I asked him how that was possible when we had been cutting all game. He said my player had came from the outside. I then asked him how that is possible when the kid was my QB and we were running a sweep and I had noone on the outside. He refused to listen to me after that.

Any low blocks (with exception noted below) outside the "10 and 2 o'clock" position are a no-no.

Exception: Unrestricted players in the LBZ. This exception ends once the ball has left the LBZ.

I have seen more cut block penalties called this year than in years past. Some I have vaguely understood ( RB went out side the clip zone then come back in) well OK, maybe. Most were just the Rb and Qb lead blocking down the field. To my uneducated eye, there doesn't seem to be any real ryme or reason to the call.

Every year since 2002 we have heard rumor that lead blocking below the waist would be eliminated by the football authorities. Here is a solution that is simple to apply to drastically reduce the hurts caused by this kind of blocking. In games have your defensive rushers wear shin pads and a high quality knee pad instead of the cheap, inaffective football kneepad. Tyler wore them sometimes in practice and I used them extensively in Follett. In 2012-2013 we drilled it with my scout-D rushers wearing baseball catcher leg pads that protect the front ankle up to the top of the patella...as a result zero injuries. The kids despised them so we compromised with the soccer shin guard and volleyball knee pads with zebra stripes. Much more comfortable. Don't laugh... the kids loved the zebra stripes. (:)

If there is no explicit rule over-riding NCAA rules for 6-man, then I believe the NCAA rules apply.

It seems many coaches and even some refs are completely unaware of that rule.

The current NCAA rule means if the low block is outside the low blocking zone, defined below, it must have BOTH legal angle of approach, between 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock, for initial contact, AND legal direction of aim either downfield or towards the near sideline.

The real safety issue is players being cut block who don't see it coming, or can't lift their feet before impact. Torn ACL's, PCL's, etc. are common with the hyper-extension that results.

The rules about blocking downfield are aimed at ensuring it happens from angles and in directions the players being cut block are likely to see the cut block at their knees coming in time to react and protect.

It is a block that is ideal when smaller players must block bigger players. The game I witnessed has the bigger players cutting even the smaller players. They had been coached to aggressively use the technique. Even from some of the comments on this thread, it seems more than a few coaches are teaching use of cut-blocking indiscriminately.

Here is the 2015 NCAA rules text:

Rule 9, Section 1, Article 6A
http://www.ncaapublications.com/product ... s/FR15.pdf

Blocking Below the Waist
ARTICLE 6.
a. Team A prior to a change of team possession:
Consider a low-blocking zone seven yards on each side of the snapper extending five yards beyond the neutral zone and back to Team A’s end line
(Rule 2-3-7 and Appendix D).

1. The following Team A players may legally block below the waist inside this
zone until the ball has left the zone: (a) players on the line of scrimmage
completely within this zone and (b) stationary backs who are at least partially
inside the tackle box and at least partially inside the frame of the body of the
second lineman from the snapper. (A.R. 9-1-6-V)

2. Players not covered in paragraph 1 (above) while the ball is still in the zone,
and all players after the ball has left the zone, are allowed to block below the
waist only if the force of the initial contact is from the front, but they may not
block below the waist if the force of the initial contact is from the side or back
“From the front” is understood to mean within the clock-face region between
“10 o’clock and 2 o’clock” forward of the player being blocked. (A.R. 9-1-6-
I-II, IV, VII-VIII)

3. Once the ball has left the zone a player may not block below the waist toward
his own end line. (A.R. 9-1-6-III)

4. Players not covered in paragraph 1 (above) may not block below the waist
toward the original position of the ball at the snap.

b. Team B prior to a change of team possession:
1. Other than in paragraphs 2 and 3 (below), players of Team B may block below
the waist only within the area defined by lines parallel to the goal line five
yards beyond and behind the neutral zone extended to the sidelines. Blocking
below the waist by players of Team B outside this zone is illegal except against
the ball carrier. (A.R. 9-1-6-VI, IX)
2. Players of Team B may not block below the waist against an opponent who is in
position to receive a backward pass.
3. Players of Team B may not block below the waist against an eligible Team A
pass receiver beyond the neutral zone unless attempting to get to the ball or ball
carrier. This prohibition ends when a legal forward pass is no longer possible
by rule.
c. Kicks
During a down in which there is a free kick or scrimmage kick, blocking below the
waist by any player is illegal except against a ball carrier.
FR-90 RULE 9 / CONDUCT OF PLAYERS AND OTHERS SUBJECT TO THE RULES
d. After change of team possession
After any change of team possession, blocking below the waist by any player is illegal
except against a ball carrier.

jjloehr":1n1uqzfg said:
If there is no explicit rule over-riding NCAA rules for 6-man, then I believe the NCAA rules apply.

It seems many coaches and even some refs are completely unaware of that rule.

The current NCAA rule means if the low block is outside the low blocking zone, defined below, it must have BOTH legal angle of approach, between 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock, for initial contact, AND legal direction of aim either downfield or towards the near sideline.

The real safety issue is players being cut block who don't see it coming, or can't lift their feet before impact. Torn ACL's, PCL's, etc. are common with the hyper-extension that results.

The rules about blocking downfield are aimed at ensuring it happens from angles and in directions the players being cut block are likely to see the cut block at their knees coming in time to react and protect.

It is a block that is ideal when smaller players must block bigger players. The game I witnessed has the bigger players cutting even the smaller players. They had been coached to aggressively use the technique. Even from some of the comments on this thread, it seems more than a few coaches are teaching use of cut-blocking indiscriminately.

Here is the 2015 NCAA rules text:

Rule 9, Section 1, Article 6A
http://www.ncaapublications.com/product ... s/FR15.pdf

Blocking Below the Waist
ARTICLE 6.
a. Team A prior to a change of team possession:
Consider a low-blocking zone seven yards on each side of the snapper extending five yards beyond the neutral zone and back to Team A’s end line
(Rule 2-3-7 and Appendix D).

1. The following Team A players may legally block below the waist inside this
zone until the ball has left the zone: (a) players on the line of scrimmage
completely within this zone and (b) stationary backs who are at least partially
inside the tackle box and at least partially inside the frame of the body of the
second lineman from the snapper. (A.R. 9-1-6-V)

2. Players not covered in paragraph 1 (above) while the ball is still in the zone,
and all players after the ball has left the zone, are allowed to block below the
waist only if the force of the initial contact is from the front, but they may not
block below the waist if the force of the initial contact is from the side or back
“From the front” is understood to mean within the clock-face region between
“10 o’clock and 2 o’clock” forward of the player being blocked. (A.R. 9-1-6-
I-II, IV, VII-VIII)

3. Once the ball has left the zone a player may not block below the waist toward
his own end line. (A.R. 9-1-6-III)

4. Players not covered in paragraph 1 (above) may not block below the waist
toward the original position of the ball at the snap.

b. Team B prior to a change of team possession:
1. Other than in paragraphs 2 and 3 (below), players of Team B may block below
the waist only within the area defined by lines parallel to the goal line five
yards beyond and behind the neutral zone extended to the sidelines. Blocking
below the waist by players of Team B outside this zone is illegal except against
the ball carrier. (A.R. 9-1-6-VI, IX)
2. Players of Team B may not block below the waist against an opponent who is in
position to receive a backward pass.
3. Players of Team B may not block below the waist against an eligible Team A
pass receiver beyond the neutral zone unless attempting to get to the ball or ball
carrier. This prohibition ends when a legal forward pass is no longer possible
by rule.
c. Kicks
During a down in which there is a free kick or scrimmage kick, blocking below the
waist by any player is illegal except against a ball carrier.
FR-90 RULE 9 / CONDUCT OF PLAYERS AND OTHERS SUBJECT TO THE RULES
d. After change of team possession
After any change of team possession, blocking below the waist by any player is illegal
except against a ball carrier.

Have you reached out to your TASO Chapter or the school(s) you have an issue with?

DEMONIZING: SAME AS HEAD BUTS AND GROIN KICKS

If ever they do ban or ambiguously control to the point its open to fallible interpretation, the justification will be something like, "leadblocking below the waist is henceforth allowed as long as said blockers offer warning in writing to the opposing team a minimum of seven calendar days before the contest, or fourteen days if that team has an open week prior to said contest, in addition offensive team can not throw such a block if the targeted defender is defenseless". *

* Defenseless is defined as any defender whose eyes are on the ball carrier trying to make the tackle rather than the lead blocker.

Thank you for that delightful bit of clarification CoachBronk. Yep widespread....jj.

They told you in the Army it was against Military Rules of War to shoot an enemy soldier with the 50 caliber machine gun, but it was totally acceptable to shoot at the vehicle they are sitting in...heehaw!?

BE":203rtktr said:
Thank you for that delightful bit of clarification CoachBronk. Yep widespread....jj.

They told you in the Army it was against Military Rules of War to shoot an enemy soldier with the 50 caliber machine gun, but it was totally acceptable to shoot at the vehicle they are sitting in...heehaw!?

What delightful clarification? I didnt say anything?

Sorry CoachBronk, my bad. I was referring to the second posting of the rules without realizing it was a quote. Forgive me.

And can any one explain why all season not one ref has said anything about cutting on point after kicks by the rover, but last night they told the rover one more cut and you will be flagged.

I'd like to know why they even warned him. Blocking below the waist is illegal for both teams during downs on which there is a kick. That includes kickoffs, punts, field goals, and kicked extra points.

BE":1bholiy0 said:
DEMONIZING: SAME AS HEAD BUTS AND GROIN KICKS

If ever they do ban or ambiguously control to the point its open to fallible interpretation, the justification will be something like, "leadblocking below the waist is henceforth allowed as long as said blockers offer warning in writing to the opposing team a minimum of seven calendar days before the contest, or fourteen days if that team has an open week prior to said contest, in addition offensive team can not throw such a block if the targeted defender is defenseless". *

* Defenseless is defined as any defender whose eyes are on the ball carrier trying to make the tackle rather than the lead blocker.

Sarcasm not appreciated. Lead blockers cut-blocking is totally legal. Read the rules I printed above. It's the cut blocks from the side and back that are illegal. And cutblocks on crack backs by WR's. These are cowards' techniques and illegal because they predictably seriously injure players. Anyone defending them should absolutely not be in coaching.

Back