Crowell v Happy

The best I can tell they both run the exact same tight defense. It will be interesting to hear what kind of offenses are run and of course, who prevails in the game.

I was very impressed with Happy in Hico so I'll go with them. However, I picked Knox City over Borden County so what do I know?

Well, part of what Granger pays me those big bucks for is to stir it up, not my knowledge obviously.
Since Goob's back one of my goals for the season is to get him and RJ to smooch and hug on the 50 yard line somewhere.

51eleven":2scobp8f said:
Well, part of what Granger pays me those big bucks for is to stir it up, not my knowledge obviously.
Since Goob's back one of my goals for the season is to get him and RJ to smooch and hug on the 50 yard line somewhere.
Have to happen on an 11-man field..........

this will be the game to watch this weekend. i think it'll be like the TCU/TECH game!!!!!!! fun to watch. i'll take Crowell 54-52.

There are two kinds of judges in this old world, one prods and attacks with malice and personal envy and jealousy, and reeks of hate. The other works to convince and correct from a heart full of compassion and concern, and grace. Goob is the later of the two. His approach trys to conceal the fact that he truly cares for everyone on both sides of an issue, and does his best to show the error in one's position without demonstrating loathing. Even when Goob is dangerously moved with passion, his arguments flow with opportunity for at least neutral ground to be reached. That approach is like a caring grandparent whose years of experience have taught him better and without skin in the game is able to teach a misdirected child the error of her ways. The scorn of a loving grandparent is altogether a blessing in disguise and the child feels it and says thank you even though she doesn't understand why she does.

He reminds me of the coaches we had back in the '70s whose feelings about his players and teams were made evident usually by yelling and screaming at us. Sounds sick I know, but if you were a part of that generation who was coached by these guys you always felt strangely special if and when the coach directed his scornful tirades at you personally for some mistake or infraction committed. As a freshman I must have unwittingly shown my downtrodden countenance as we walked off the practice field one day early in two-a-days, coach called me in for a dreaded one-on-one discussion. He chided me again briefly and followed with his reasons why he did so. One of the statements he made stuck with me. He said, "Ethridge, I only yell and correct guys I believe have what it takes to be a dandy for our team. And if I don't scream and challenge you verbally it means one of two things...either I have accepted the fact that you have zero talent or ability, or you are already perfect in every way. And son there has been only one perfect man in this world's history".

I call it warped affection and it was a great motivator for many of us. I cant count the number of times he grabbed us by the face mask, kicked our butts or slapped our helmets while the whole time reteaching a skill with a cigarette or cigar tucked in the corner of his mouth. Afterwards he always concluded with some kind of praise that uplifted us and expressed how proud he was of whomever he just tore in to. Goob, you would make a great teacher and coach.

51eleven, having said that, I would be surprised to see the Goob in a moment like you describe, which sounds a little too close to being the expression of a man-crush not quite sanctioned by the Kim Davises of the world. :)

Back to the topic of this thread...the whole game will boil down to one thing...has Happy fixed the glaring single weakness that has been their Achilles Heal for the last upteen years!? If so they prevail, if not they don't.

Here's a clue: the same weakness led to our defeats in the 2003 and 2005 Semi-final games against Strawn and Throckmorton, respectively. And likewise in the 2012 State game between Follett and RS. Well that and the dropping of four well placed passes.

One thing that could be a big impact on the game. Crowell's QB Tristen Hayes (coach's son) tweaked his knee in practice before the Blum game. Should be back by district, but probably won't play Friday.

I shot the first half and change of the game Saturday in Bryson. Daniel Clark stepped in at spreadback and was great vs Blum, but they were pretty one-dimensional on offense -- he had a hand in all 9 of their touchdowns, running for 7 of them.

Defense was still as good as usual, but if Happy is more physical offensively than Blum then that could wear down Crowell.

Still expect it to be a good game, and if Crowell keeps it close, that bodes well for when Hayes comes back.

Happy was in our Regional Track Meet last spring where it was very evident they had some of the best boys there. And there were some good ones there. Don't quote me but pretty sure they finished second qualifying for state with a low 44 4x100 relay, and ran fourth in the 4x 200 relay with 1:35 and change.
Don't know how many of them graduated, but should be some fleet-of-foot Cowboys running around.

I don't remember where or when I read it. last year? I thought they could line up in a tight with size on the line and run over anybody or throw, as well?

Both of these teams are high caliber teams that know how to play. Happy is the strongest team I have seen all year. I suspect that without Hays, Happy will soundly defeat Crowell. Then I suspect that they will meet again in the playoffs for a much closer game that either team could win.

Back