Core Values

ol' gus

11-man fan
I was wondering how many coaches have their core values written out and then, how do they go about teaching these values to the kids, especially in these liberal times.

Pillars of Success

Preparation
Respect
Integrity
Discipline
Effort

Teach it
Expect it
Live it

Be a good role model for players and fellow coaches

During my time at Wellman-Union, I came up with...BE L.E.A.D.E.R.

Now I've heard few ask well would you it rather say Be A Leader? Nah, I prefer it this way...

BE

Loyal
Enthusiastic
Ambitious
Determined
Encouraging
Righteous

our players have to define and explain our values before they get their helmet decals....that's one way to help teach them.

Jones26":227fzx93 said:
our players have to define and explain our values before they get their helmet decals....that's one way to help teach them.
That's a good way to "learn it to earn it". Good idea.

I've always loved the acronyms, assuming that you go on to define what each characteristic means to you, which I know we have to do. Because some kids don't have a clue, or, they think something completely politically correct or teenage brained, or something their pee-wee coach hammered into them.
I like John Wooden's Pyramid of Success too. He claimed that it was when he finished his development of this philosophy, which took the first 16 years of his term at UCLA, and several years to implement it into his overall program, is when they really went on their championship run for all those years.
I wrote my values from a broader perspective using a "statement that states" method. Although I love the acronym and will use that every time I can.
1. Fitness is for life.-Physical education is the only real health care.
2. Proper Nutrition is the fuel of success.- "Performance Nutrition" You can't out exercise a bad diet.
(Exercise is King, Nutrition is Queen, together you have a healthy kingdom.)
3. The TEAM is #1.- No need to even have a #1 jersey. Individual efforts drive team successes.
4. Hard Work.- Breeds success in everything you do, class, field, family, job.
5. Winning.- Is merely a by-product of proper preparation and That starts at practice. (John Wooden said the thing he will miss the most after he retired was practice. His practices were always 1 1/2 hours long.)

Thanks for everyone's input. I appreciate all feedback. Keep up the good work and...
Good Football To You!!!

Awesome plans for athletics.
I wonder how many schools,
from admin.all the way down to the prek teacher
have and enforce a set of values?

Dude give it a break.
And no im not.
I remember you told me once that this was a shi**y business and i didn't know what you meant and now i do.
I got a factory job dropped in my lap with better pay, 401, bonuses, written and practiced values, NO BS BACKSTABBING.
So i took my values elsewhere. The company has already taken several of my suggestions.
Go figure.

Obviously the lack of input on this topic is revealing.

This topic got me thinking the other day. I've had a general motto but nothing I wrote out. We had a motto when I was in high school of "Never Let Go". This was something we picked up at a Church Camp that we went to in New Mexico. Our coach went to our church so he was there with us. The motto was based around a song we sang there that went.
"Oh no, You never let go
Through the calm and through the storm
Oh no, You never let go
In every high and every low
Oh no, You never let go
Lord, You never let go of me

That was our team motto. Through Calm and Storm. Through highs and lows. We stick together and we never give up. In homage to that motto, I've built my own around it with a similar theme. HOLD TIGHT.

Honor- Defined in two ways. 1. To be regarded with great respect 2. A privilege.
Ownership- Take Ownership of your actions. Never pass the buck.
Loyalty-When you put on that jersey you are making a commitment to every man out here
Discipline-Doing what needs to be done even if you don’t want to do it

Teach-Never forget that any moment can be used to teach. Take time to teach others.
Integrity-Doing the right thing even when no one is watching
Gratitude-“As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them"-JFK
Heart-To run the last 5 feet of a race, to dive for the tackle even if you might miss.
Team- We are not a team because we work together. We are a team because we respect, trust, and care for each other.

CoachTJones":jtq5lxzp said:
This topic got me thinking the other day. I've had a general motto but nothing I wrote out. We had a motto when I was in high school of "Never Let Go". This was something we picked up at a Church Camp that we went to in New Mexico. Our coach went to our church so he was there with us. The motto was based around a song we sang there that went.
"Oh no, You never let go
Through the calm and through the storm
Oh no, You never let go
In every high and every low
Oh no, You never let go
Lord, You never let go of me

That was our team motto. Through Calm and Storm. Through highs and lows. We stick together and we never give up. In homage to that motto, I've built my own around it with a similar theme. HOLD TIGHT.

Honor- Defined in two ways. 1. To be regarded with great respect 2. A privilege.
Ownership- Take Ownership of your actions. Never pass the buck.
Loyalty-When you put on that jersey you are making a commitment to every man out here
Discipline-Doing what needs to be done even if you don’t want to do it

Teach-Never forget that any moment can be used to teach. Take time to teach others.
Integrity-Doing the right thing even when no one is watching
Gratitude-“As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them"-JFK
Heart-To run the last 5 feet of a race, to dive for the tackle even if you might miss.
Team- We are not a team because we work together. We are a team because we respect, trust, and care for each other.
Thank you sir.

Dogface2":2rb040p3 said:
Awesome plans for athletics.
I wonder how many schools,
from admin.all the way down to the prek teacher
have and enforce a set of values?

We are definitely getting there.

Back