Coach Profile: Trey Richey – Borden County

granger

Six-man expert
Founder
This is the first of what hopefully becomes a regular piece here on sixmanfootball.com. Enjoy.

Trey Richey – Borden County
coachrichey2.jpg

Head Coaching History: 2007-present; all at Borden County High School
Head Coaching Record: 123-22
High School Attended: Jayton HS, Class of 1986
Football in HS: Running Back and Safety
College(s) Attended: Texas Tech 1986-87; McMurry University 1987-91
Football in College: Yes; Texas Tech-Red Shirt Freshman at FS/CB; McM-starter at Tail Back 1st season, starter at Safety last three seasons. *
Preferred offensive Set: J-Gun
Preferred Defensive Set: 2-3-1

Q & A:
Leman Saunders:
I believe you are the only coach (in six-man) to win a state title as a player and a coach; which was more exciting?

Trey Richey: To be completely honest with you in 1997 when I was the defensive and we (Borden County) won (the state title), it really made the '84 and '85 titles mean more. I just sat back and watched how the community reacted, the parents, what it meant to the school etc... I had a lot of pride in what we did back then, but it was more impacting at that moment. The few we have had recently mean a TON because of the journey as a head coach, and the fact that three or the four have included one of my sons as a player. So as a coach, it has been amazing! It has also meant more as a coach because of the guys I have been coaching with. From three are guys I coached the first two in Peter, Fernando Baeza and Colt McCook, to the last two that include Peter and now Bubba, Ricky Martinez and Mike Skelton…all of which were high school buddies. Ricky was quarterback and cornerback on the two Jayton state championship teams with me. He should be in the six-man hall of fame by the way. So unselfish and one of, if not, the best blocking quarterbacks ever.

LS: If you could tell 1st year HC Trey Richey one thing, what would it be?

TR: The keys to success is hiring great guys around you, keeping the line of communication open between coaches and players, and remember…football is all about blocking and tackling no matter what the level. You need to have an identity and learning from coach Vance Jones’ offensive scheme and Bubba Edwards defensive schemes would be a great place to start. I have said many times if I was starting over, I would do what Vance does offensively. Which has influenced what we do, but we tried tied it to what we are already doing

LS: That leads into my next question: What coaches acted as mentors for you and who has influenced you the most?

TR: Well obviously the first coaches that have molded me into a lot of who and what I am would be my dad and my high school coach Phil Mitchell and my high school basketball coach Wendell Neff. Also little coach Oldenwald from my time at McMurry University, as well as Austin Chamness from McM too. Bobby Avery here at Borden and Kerry Owens have had a big impact…and of course Vance Jones. So many others have influenced or helped along the way; Mike Reed, Jerry Burkhart, Wayne Henderson, Brett Tyler, Bubba Edwards, Thomas Clay, and Billy Grumbles. All good friends that have helped in many ways what you do and what you think as a coach. A lot of guys have had a little part in who I am and what I do. Coach Lane Jackson, the original (Highland) and Jack Shely have had an impact as well.

*Richey accumulated 13 INTs at McMurry, including three in a single game (with a fumble recovery as well in the same game).

Note: In the 1985 state championship game against Christoval Jayton’s Trey Richey rushed for 461 yards and 8 TDs on 28 carries. His rushing yards are still a state championship game record and his eight touchdowns are tied for the most with DeWayne Miles who rushed for eight TDs in 1995. The game was played at McMurray University which would later be where Trey Richey’s would play college football and graduate from.

TRold.jpg

Back