Blum Assistant Football/ Basketball/Track

TrojanBomber- You can't possibly be a good coach if you don't want to be a teacher. Stop trying to kid yourself.
You should go get a a factory job and get involved in Pop Warner or Little League, or resign yourself to doing whatever it takes to help your students be successful. You're there for them, not to fulfill your coaching fantacies.

One thing to remember is coaching is teaching, If you cannot teach, you will not coach. It is not only about x's and o's. It is about teaching and motivating. Good teachers and good coaches can do that. I love to coach against the X's and O's guys, because they do not teach the fundamentals and try to beat you with schemes. Good coaches do a good job at schemes also. A coach that is not a teacher usually is coaching for himself and making the whole thing his personal show. Not good for the kids. I am off my soapbox.

By the way, I have seen good coaches from the community, but they could TEACH.

This might not be a very popular opinion, but if you are "teaching to the TAKS test," then you are teaching the curriculum that should be taught to the kids anyways. Now I will admit that if you ONLY do TAKS preps all the time, you are shorting your kids of higher-level thinking skills, but there are ways to teach TAKS-related topics and critical/creative thinking at the same time. I'm at a private school and I don't have to worry about TAKS, but we are required to teach the same TEKS that public schools teach so any child who leaves us for public school is prepared. TAKS is all about accountability, and accountability should be in place to make sure teachers are not doing a dis-service to our kids by not teaching them anything.

I don't know if and how your districts require you to use CSCOPE, but we use it strictly as a powerful resource. The main thing that it helps with is it actually defines what the TEKS are saying and what it is exactly you should be teaching. The assessments are also good. As far as the lessons, we have been told that it doesn't make sense to do CSCOPE lessons EVERY time you teach, but there are a lot of good lessons to expand on and to reinforce what you are teaching. If used properly, CSCOPE is a good tool. Whether or not it is worth the cost depends on the financial situation of your district.

Regarding certification, I honestly learned NOTHING through my education courses that prepared me for the real classroom. Teaching comes down to three things: passion for helping kids, knowledge for the subject, and accepting that kids today do not think like we do and teaching them how they learn best.

My worst professors in College were the Education Professors. Had no time in the classroom and no idea. That being said. The best coaches are great teachers also.

My problem with alternative education is too many people are going into education as a second choice. They cant find jobs in the fields they really want and go into teaching out of necessity. Teaching is a hard job, you must teach, motivate, discipline, grade papers, talk with parents, and make sure kids who dont care can stil pass the TAKS test. Not something just anyone can do.

Edward Golden, I agree with what said. We are taught in our Edu. classes exactly what what you mentioned. Speaking for myself, and myself only, the classes that we had, teach the incoming teacher how to deal with problem students, how to motivate the students, how to compose the tests, etc. I believe that the classes that I took are very helpful to the student teacher and it will only solidify the new teacher in the new career that he has chosen.

Back