3 tablespoons of Canola oil
2 pounds sweet Italian sausage

1 yellow onion
1 red bell pepper
14 oz. can of chopped tomatoes
2 cans black-eyed peas
3 cups water
salt and pepper

Leeman ... I actually read the directions on the can, the beans may have to take a brief visit to the interior of the microwave first.

In my single days, the rule I always had in the grocery store was that if it didn't have directions on the package, I didn't buy it.

smokeyjoe53":1rewxn9i said:
We always used dried black-eyed peas............ don't know why........you gotta have cornbread with the peas..........
'Cuz the're better when you cook them yourself.
Any kind of beans (peas) should have lots of THICK soup (indicating they've been simmered for a long time) and lots of cornbread.
My momma used to start by soaking them overnight.
Hey Grandpa, whats for supper?
Yum! Yum!

Get one large can of blackeyed peas, a spoon, and a bottle of Jack Daniels. Throw the can of black eyed peas in the trash along with the spoon and drink the Jack Daniels.

High Plains Drifter":3a1eq5g4 said:
Get one large can of blackeyed peas, a spoon, and a bottle of Jack Daniels. Throw the can of black eyed peas in the trash along with the spoon and drink the Jack Daniels.
That's kinda like my recipe for carp on a plank.................................

oneday":2nvv9b2p said:
1 Can of Black Eyed Peas
1 Can-Opener
1 Spoon

Use can-opener to open can of peas. Then use spoon to eat peas.

True batchelor style eatin'. My wife still does not believe I used to eat that way. It sure saves on washing dishes.....

High Plains Drifter":28m1yj9g said:
You can also save if you put a sheet of tin foil over your paper plate. Can make a paper plate last a long, long time. Just saying. Ha

Been there, done that too.

Old Bearkat":1rfgctc8 said:
High Plains Drifter":1rfgctc8 said:
You can also save if you put a sheet of tin foil over your paper plate. Can make a paper plate last a long, long time. Just saying. Ha

I guess I was high class. I had the real stuff. 1 of each - plate, bowl, fork, & spoon. 2 knives & 2 cast iron skillets. I still have the fork & skillets.

CowboyP":3luzoaf6 said:
Old Bearkat":3luzoaf6 said:
High Plains Drifter":3luzoaf6 said:

I guess I was high class. I had the real stuff. 1 of each - plate, bowl, fork, & spoon. 2 knives & 2 cast iron skillets. I still have the fork & skillets.

I had all the dishes and kitchen equipment, but was just lazy.....

Where and when did the tradition of eating black eyed peas on New Years for good luck come about ? Why do they symbolize prosperity?

51eleven":3csvk3p3 said:
Where and when did the tradition of eating black eyed peas on New Years for good luck come about ? Why do they symbolize prosperity?
Eating black-eyed peas on New Year's Day is thought to bring prosperity.
The "good luck" traditions of eating black-eyed peas at Rosh Hashana, the Jewish New Year, are recorded in the Babylonian Talmud (compiled ~500 CE), Horayot 12A: "Abaye [d. 339 CE] said, now that you have established that good-luck symbols avail, you should make it a habit to see qara (bottle gourd), rubiya (black-eyed peas, Arabic lubiya), kartei (leeks), silka (either beets or spinach), and tamrei (dates) on your table on the New Year." However, the custom may have resulted from an early mistranslation of the Aramaic word rubiya (fenugreek).
A parallel text in Kritot 5B states one should eat these symbols of good luck. The accepted custom (Shulhan Aruh Orah Hayim 583:1, 16th century, the standard code of Jewish law and practice) is to eat the symbols. This custom is followed by Sephardi and Israeli Jews to this day.
In the United States, the first Sephardi Jews arrived in Georgia in the 1730s, and have lived there continuously since. The Jewish practice was apparently adopted by non-Jews around the time of the American Civil War.
In the Southern United States,the peas are typically cooked with a pork product for flavoring (such as bacon, ham bones, fatback, or hog jowl), diced onion, and served with a hot chili sauce or a pepper-flavored vinegar.
The traditional meal also features collard, turnip, or mustard greens, and ham. The peas, since they swell when cooked, symbolize prosperity; the greens symbolize money; the pork, because pigs root forward when foraging, represents positive motion. Cornbread also often accompanies this meal.
Another suggested origin of the tradition dates back to the Civil War, when Union troops, especially in areas targeted by General William Tecumseh Sherman, typically stripped the countryside of all stored food, crops, and livestock, and destroyed whatever they could not carry away. At that time, Northerners considered "field peas" and field corn suitable only for animal fodder, and did not steal or destroy these humble foods

the pork said:
So is this where the term "root hog or die" came from? No, well kinda. Came from letting hogs run wild to feed themselves. God bless wickpedia for all this knowledge at our finger tips.
As Goob might say, yew didn't have to print the whole article Smokey, yew blew my cover.

Back