Bi-District Champs?

BearPaw

Six-man observer
Have not kept up with the times I guess but when did teams other than the district champs make it to playoffs?
I don’t know, it seems weird for a team to win their district and then play the second place team from another district and if they win to be called bi-district champs. I mean, they didn’t beat the district champs, they beat the second place team. Shouldn’t it be called co-bi-district champs. Worse still if the second place teams wins. They are called bi-district champs when they didn’t even win their district.
Is it just a money haul for the schools for the UIL to let as many teams into the playoffs as possible?

Taking two teams from a district into the playoffs started about 1982 or there abouts. Basketball takes four to the playoffs now. The UIL gets a cut from the gate of every playoff game, so you could be right about money having a lot to do with more playoff games.

I think the way it is works fine. If you win district your district champs, you get a trophy. If you beat another district's second place team your bi-district champs, you get another trophy. If you can't beat another district's second place team, no trophy, you go home, season over.
Bi-district gives second place teams a second chance to get a trophy. Sometimes a say one loss second place team gets a chance to advance.
Strawn came in second in district both times when they won their first two state championships, 2003 and 2008. They lost one game, to Gordon both times. Richland Springs beat Gordon in 2003, SHS beat RS in the semi final. SHS beat Gordon in their second game of the year in 2008 in the quarter final.

Taking two teams from a district into the playoffs started about 1982 or there abouts. Basketball takes four to the playoffs now. The UIL gets a cut from the gate of every playoff game, so you could be right about money having a lot to do with more playoff games.
UIL only gets a cut if you charge for admission! I know a few schools that host that dont charge admission

also those were big districts in the 1980s and a few were divided into Zones.

what if they did it like a basketball tournament, and 2nd place teams go into a consolation bracket, and winner of that plays the winner of the first bracket for the championship?

I can see some fault with this, but also some positives as well

Another idea: seeding the teams to reduce complete mismatches

Have not kept up with the times I guess but when did teams other than the district champs make it to playoffs?
I don’t know, it seems weird for a team to win their district and then play the second place team from another district and if they win to be called bi-district champs. I mean, they didn’t beat the district champs, they beat the second place team. Shouldn’t it be called co-bi-district champs. Worse still if the second place teams wins. They are called bi-district champs when they didn’t even win their district.
Is it just a money haul for the schools for the UIL to let as many teams into the playoffs as possible?
Question:
If we did not call it Bi-District what would it be called?

That’s why I call that round the Regional Quarterfinals

Maybe call them “Winners” instead of “Champions” and reserve “Champion” for the eventual winner of every district, the “State Champion”?
Just go with Area, Regional Semifinals, Regional or Quarterfinals, Semifinals and Finals in 1A.
2A-6A Area, Regional Quarterfinals, Regional Semifinals, Regional or Quarterfinals, Semifinals, and Finals

.The English prefixes bi-, derived from Latin, and its Greek variant di- both mean “two.” The Latin prefix is far more prevalent in common words, such as bilingual, biceps, and biped; the more technical Greek di- appears in such words as diphthong and dilemma. You can remember bi- easily by thinking of bicycle, which has “two” wheels.
BI-DISRTICT = Two districts champions.

Back