Best Wr You have seen

I haven't been around a long time, but I did see Williams play and have seen Farquhar play several times. I think mark may have had a little more speed but Gary to me combines it all plus he has really soft hands. It will be interesting to see where Gary winds up. I understand Tech and Baylor are taking long looks at him.

jc_30":vnjv4spb said:
I know a lotof people don't know this name, but Brice Helton from JCS in 97-00 was a pretty dang good WR, SB, and RB. Due to the system his team ran he played more in the back field, but everytime he set foot out at WR he was making some spectacular catch. I would have like to see him with a Whit or RS offense just to see the numbers, but I wouldn't want to give away the memories I have of blocking for him.

But Brandon still takes ther cake as far as what I have seen.

Helton is now head coach at Dallas Covenant - arguably the best team in 6-man this year. Total class man from a total class family.

If I'm not mistaken, and Coach Helton is certainly free to correct my mistake, he and his sister both competed in D-1 college track. I remember way back in the day when their dad had them running track while they were still in grade school.

Sorry to go off topic.

Chap_24":1ep1q1t3 said:
7 out of 8 isn't a bad percentage I guess. And I remember the one he didn't I believe he didn't play in the second half of that game and yall lost because of that. I remember him playing plenty of safety too Coach A, I was sure glad he graduated by the time I came around. Even though I think you had him pick on me as just a little bitty sophomore in basketball as I attempted to guard him. His track career turned out pretty good but I think it would have been cool to see him try to play college ball.
That injury happened the first play of the game, the kick off. Brandon did not play a down after that.

Ft. Elliots power sweep was the real difference in that game. It would have never happened had Brandon been at safety. The speed at which he closed from safety, his size and the power delivered when he got to the point of attack was devastating...

Brandon played before the Introduction of the famous "Cover None" secondary by Coach A.

Chap_24":9va5fnsi said:
7 out of 8 isn't a bad percentage I guess. And I remember the one he didn't I believe he didn't play in the second half of that game and yall lost because of that. I remember him playing plenty of safety too Coach A, I was sure glad he graduated by the time I came around. Even though I think you had him pick on me as just a little bitty sophomore in basketball as I attempted to guard him. His track career turned out pretty good but I think it would have been cool to see him try to play college ball.

HHHOOOSSSSKKKKIIIIEEEE....I think when a team takes an athletes last name and uses it to establish an interception your a pretty good athlete!

I remember listening to the Ft Elliot - Whit game. Ft. Elliot was a very, very good team - and team of destiny, I think. Only 7 guys on the team.

But I digress. Even with Hoskins in the game, I don't know that Whit would have won that game. However, Whit could never recover from the mental horse-collar that was a Brandon Hoskins injury.

Ft. Elliot had more like 6-7 seniors on that team, although they only had around 13 total I believe. And imo there is no way they beat Whitharral if Hoskins doesn't get hurt. They only won by 8 with him out the entire game. They were a great team though, and that year specifically (02) had a bunch of great teams.

I was close I couldn't remember exactly when he got hurt, as I was a youngin at the time. Did he have any offers to play college ball? It seemed he had his heart set on track, for good reason, so I didn't know if he even had any looks.

beastmode":2tvva1uq said:
Ft. Elliot had more like 6-7 seniors on that team, although they only had around 13 total I believe. And imo there is no way they beat Whitharral if Hoskins doesn't get hurt. They only won by 8 with him out the entire game. They were a great team though, and that year specifically (02) had a bunch of great teams.

Ft. Elliot didn't have 13 kids when they played Silverton in the first round. Their sideline consisted of a couple of coaches, waterboy, etc., and one player. Maybe two. I remember being astonished at how few kids they brought.

If's and buts on who would have won had Hoskins not gone out on the opening kickoff.

Could I have been wrong about being wrong? I was on the sideline at the Silverton-FE game and I really don't remember there being 13 kids. Did FE have a JV maybe?

I had the pleasure to coach an outstanding receiver by the name of Devin Cortez. Devin played for me for 3 years and accumulated 120 catches for 2037 yards and 33 TDs. He was a unanimous TAPPS All State WR for 2 years. Had great hands and ran superior routes.

I know for a fact they had 7 seniors and 1 junior who contributed on the field for that team. 13 players all around, not 7 total players in the program. If that was the case, Ft. Elliott wouldn't have been able to field a team the next year (which they did).

As for having 8 players for that game, it would make sense considering only 8 truly played for them that year. But like all schools, not every player gets to see the field, and as in this case, against the defending state champion.

Btw I am not trying to start an argument. If your wondering where I am getting these facts, I still have a copy of TOT for the 2002 year, which proves everything I am saying :)

beastmode":hij0ibwh said:
I know for a fact they had 7 seniors and 1 junior who contributed on the field for that team. 13 players all around, not 7 total players in the program. If that was the case, Ft. Elliott wouldn't have been able to field a team the next year (which they did).

As for having 8 players for that game, it would make sense considering only 8 truly played for them that year. But like all schools, not every player gets to see the field, and as in this case, against the defending state champion.

Btw I am not trying to start an argument. If your wondering where I am getting these facts, I still have a copy of TOT for the 2002 year, which proves everything I am saying :)

The issue was not how many FE had in the program. It was how many football players FE had on the field ready to play.

Just sayin'.

rainjacktx":3oj3500t said:
Could I have been wrong about being wrong? I was on the sideline at the Silverton-FE game and I really don't remember there being 13 kids. Did FE have a JV maybe?
You were wrong about being wrong, O.K. Jax you owe me one for keeping your record "untarnished"….

I talked to a couple of their players after the game and congratulated them on their accomplishment.

Just a side note - if Brandon had played FE would not have won the game. Too much of a game changer. He was a 30+ point difference in the game. I would say 60% defense and 30% offense and 10% special teams in the case of this particular game.

The kids who are seniors this year were in second grade when that game was played. And here we are still debating woulda, coulda, shoulda's.

Crap. Somebody just knocked over my prune juice. I gotta go change into another polyester jumpsuit.

About Mark Williams...he was a good WR on a great team...compared to Rory Peacock...how many All American WR awards did he win in college (Peacock at McMurry a DIII school)? How many WR records did he set at his college? That trumps Williams in my book...Hoskins would be other pick...I'd take the Throck kid this year before Williams too...the Throck kids has better size

Back