Best Passer in Six-Man?

sixmanalum

11-man fan
Had to stop myself from saying best QB in six man. I was curious as to who the best passer you guys have ever seen, current or former player, to represent a six man football team? I know Tyler Etheridge had a good arm but many of his passes were bombs because DBs respected his running ability so much. I mean like serious precision passers who could just make your defense look silly. Not just arm, but the tangibles that goes along with being a passer.

That would have to be be "Dandy" Craig Staubach who played for HHR&WPC&SWW back in the late '60's.................Arm like a rifle (well, maybe a pellet gun), the precision of a Claymore Mine and a whole bunch of other superlatives that elude me right now.............

Why is the run more successful generally in six man? You'd think many of the powerhouses would rely on passes and speed to win, but most I see that win games stick to running it. Is there a team that has a mostly pass offense that is successful in six man?

We have faced many good passers in this wonderful game. (Richland Springs Tyler Ethridge)- Still holds the record for Touchdown Passes. They were not all bombs either. Tyler's career stats prove him to be one of the best passers in the sixman game. It also pays to have great receivers that can catch the ball reguardless if the ball is thrown on the money or not. You can't rule out the upbacks blocking either. Lyle Campbell, Haustin Burkhart, and a kid from Happy a few years ago really stick in my mind. I can't remember his name right now. I am sorry if I am sound biased. This is just my opinion which means nothing.

Coach Burkhart

Good points coach. And I didn't mean to take away from Tyler's accomplishments. He was truly an amazing athlete. I regret never getting the chance to line up across from him, even though we'd probably be done at halftime, haha.

Is there any team that utilized the "5 wide" offense successfully? It would most be a quick pass offense but it can be successful, just like the west coast.

Alum,
Personally, I think it takes the right athletes to run an offense like your talking about. Pass rush would be an issue if the QB was slow, more turnover prone imo, 5-wide would leave your QB pretty wide open to take some punishment throughout the game and everyone involved in 6-man knows that usually there is a gap between QB1 vs QB2 in case QB1 was injured. If your QB can move you might as well throw him in the spread to use all of his ability. I'm not saying it wouldn't work, but personally I wouldnt use it as my primary offense. I'd probly use it more like a package. Again just my opinion.

I believe it was D. Kimberling from Happy. Also Woods and Robertson(?) from Follett were excellent passers. The kid from Borden County in 97 was amazing as well. Didn't mean to leave out anyone from Richland, I forgot to put etc. at the end of my post lol.

If the opinion of a 5X state champ coach means nothing I know mine means wayyyyy less than nothing but here's an nickles worth anyway. In the roughly 15 years I've bee lucky enough to observe the game - some years many more games than others - I've rarely seen opposing QB's more than 2-3 times and there are many very good ones I've never seen. However, out of that same class as Haustin Burkhart I'd have to throw Parker Purvis of Strawn into this conversation. Coach Lee to my knowledge has never "advertised" stat's. I've seen game at a time stat's in the paper but never year totals so I can't base it on that. While overshadowed by Trey Doyle at RB in 2009 Parker did QB the team to the State Game. He was the DII State Offensive MVP in 2010 on a "just" 9-4 Q-final team. In addition he was the MVP in all 3 of the all star games he played in the summer after his senior season. While he could scramble (very well) his accolades were not based on his running ability.

Not that my opinion matters too much, aside of the above already mentioned (and not going to mention any that I have coached) but I have always been a big Josh Thweat fan of Panther Creek. Also Garden City QB during his sophmore and Junior year was impressive. Braxton Oliver during the 05' state run in games against Trinidad and Calvert.

Im not saying best ever, just came to mind when talking about throwing the football only where the reciever could catch it.

Back