Best Coaching Staffs

CoachQ

11-man fan
With the word getting out mid week that Coach Clay is headed to Garden City to take over the girls basketball program, it got me thinking. What schools have the best coaching staffs top to bottom? When you look at all the coaches for every sport, boys and girls which schools set the standard. Borden county has to be at the top of most list or at least top 3. Yours thoughts?

Even though they haven’t been state contenders in football, I would say you have to put Nazareth in this group because of their success in multiple sports, specifically basketball and tennis.

Sterling City has to be up there having Coach Keith as an assistant.

Definitely GC and BC.

Depending on how things go with the coaching carousel, there will be other places that will be stacked too imo.

True, that’s why I asked for others thoughts. Considering success of programs and success of the coaches history. I’m sure there are some good staffs across the state but I was curious which staffs stand alone from others.

Coach Roach":1dirsbbr said:
Even though they haven’t been state contenders in football, I would say you have to put Nazareth in this group because of their success in multiple sports, specifically basketball and tennis.

Sterling City has to be up there having Coach Keith as an assistant.

Definitely GC and BC.

Depending on how things go with the coaching carousel, there will be other places that will be stacked too imo.
Tennis? Which is more painful to watch 1A baseball or 1A tennis?

Well I’m not sure what you know about either sport. It’s pretty impressive to me that they have won state and have had multiple boys and girls year after year represent them at the tournament (I can remember since 2000 at least). Can say the same for basketball as well. So yeah pretty impressive to me. To each their own I guess...

Obviously, this is a really hard question to answer. I will try my best, however:

Strawn: Dewayne Lee, Evany Cervantes, and a traditionally strong girls basketball program. While most know about Lee and the girls basketball program, Cervantes has served as Defensive Coordinator for maybe 5 years and was one heck of a spreadback at Gustine.

Leakey: Harley Ethridge as an assistant, enough said.

Richland Springs: Although Jerry gets most of the headlines, Coach Rogers has been for the last 6 rings and even went with Burkhart to Stanton. Basically, the two of them are doing something right.

TimTebow: what succes has Richland springs have in girls basketball, track, golf and baseball? I don’t know enough about there program. We all know how great the football program has been

While I can see where you are coming from, RS been so dominate in football. You get a 100 by adding up 34+33+33 or 98-1-1 if you catch my drift.

Although I don't remember the RS girls ever being amazing, the RS boys made it to the regional tournament in basketball a few times and do well in track most years.

Besides, to be honest with you, I'm not going to pretend to be an expert in girls athletics. Nazareth seems like a darn good answer to me, but I didn't want to repeat one that was already said.

PS. Do most sixman schools even play baseball?!

CoachQ":4vh1g5y2 said:
TimTebow: what succes has Richland springs have in girls basketball, track, golf and baseball? I don’t know enough about there program. We all know how great the football program has been
Golf? You guys are killing me.

If I remember correctly, RS had the Lewis girl at State in golf last year. A few years ago their all-state kicker on the football team was also the champ in golf. Hallmark, good kid.

PS- In my opinion, coaching staffs do have a great bearing on Football, baseball, and basketball. Not so much in golf and track. The naturals pretty well take over in those individual sports.

PS- In my opinion, coaching staffs do have a great bearing on Football, baseball, and basketball. Not so much in golf and track. The naturals pretty well take over in those individual sports.[/quote]

Maybe in the 100 and 200. Even those have to be coached in blocks. Golf is also not a natural sport to just pick up.

Fairly easy to figure out, just use the same formula as the capitalone cup for division 1 athletics. www.capitalonecup.com
It assigns points to major and minor sports based on how you finish the year. It also separates it for men's and women's sports. They do use polling data for some sports so you'd have to figure out if there is a poll available to use or assign points to where teams finished in a season.

techster2000":2tm733dc said:
PS- In my opinion, coaching staffs do have a great bearing on Football, baseball, and basketball. Not so much in golf and track. The naturals pretty well take over in those individual sports.

Maybe in the 100 and 200. Even those have to be coached in blocks. Golf is also not a natural sport to just pick up.[/quote]

I didn't say that "no coaching at all" was required, but just think about it. You show the kids how to do it in elementary or junior high, the do's and don'ts, and with a few reminders about their technique along the way, and a lot of practice, they just go out and do it. Baseball games a little bit more coaching as the game has it's dynamics. But when you get into basketball and then think about football, you are coaching them from start to finish and all in between. If you have a winning program. How many headsets and chalkboards do you see at the golf tournament?! IMO

Not trying to dog on you, but it goes football, basketball, and then spring sports (baseball). And yes it takes good coaching to get those players in each sport to the playoffs...

I’m biased but May has to be up there. Between Steele and Howard, they’re perennial powerhouses in football and basketball, making deep runs every year. Dail has turned the baseball program into something to be proud of as well. Easily one of the top 10 programs in the state.

Back