best coaches to never win a state championship

Helmethead

11-man fan
i can only go back to eighties,I'll throw out some names no particular order. Harvey Wellman, Bret Tyler, Larry Reid, Kerry Owens,Larry Pruitt,Toby Goodwin,Cliff Gilmore. I'll bet if u ask coaches they hated playing these guys and still do. i would say the best coach of all time and the hardest to defend ever is Vance Jones hands down.

Jim Coleman from Tolar when they were sixman in the sixties and mid seventies. He did win regional and that was as far as we could go back then. But he never won a state championship.

Bruce Jones - Turnersville, another in the 50-60 era.

Lost to Oklaunion in the 50s and tied Tolar in the 60s from what I gather.

Larry Pruitt-Jonesboro. I may be a little off here but I beleive it was 18 district championships consecutively and 20 straight playoff runs...

Larry Pruitt-Jonesboro. I may be a little off here but I beleive it was 18 district championships consecutively and 20 straight playoff runs...

and was coached by?

ahhhhh Jonesboro.....another one of Texas little treasures.

CT6MFL":2yde60y3 said:
Do co-championships count? if not the Rusty Russell.

Man that was a good book.

If we're talking six man here... when they won the co-championship under Coach Russell they were 11 man.
Great Book.
Strawn played them in 6-man as late as 2002 & 2003. Not sure when they became 6-man.
I remember riding by the Masonic Home as a kid thinking how desolate it looked, kind of like a prison.

While you are true and correct. The title didn’t say it, and since I just read the book. :)

The early years of the Masonic Home would have to be somewhere in the top 10 as far as underdogs go.

As far as their decline up to 6 man. I would say you would have to dive into the History of the Freemasons/Masons and look for a decline/change. Any History buffs here? Once again we may have to look to the Elders.....

Look out here comes the thumper!!!

CoachMiller":2v4r2unr said:
Jerry Miller: Multiple Stops, more wins by a coach in history of the game to this point.

Harvey Wellman: Guthrie

I wasn't sure if Jerry had won a State title or not. So I didn't post his name. But I agree with both of the names you listed.

Back