Battle of 11 man football is a six man game

Cougar1414

Six-man fan
This weeks game of Summit vs Marble Falls should be interesting. It’s the battle of 11 man football.

Marble Falls played 11 man football last year and 3 of Summits starters played 11 man football last year. Including their starting QB.

Summits offense is direct snaps to QB and throws almost like a 7 on 7.

Have there been any historical teams successful without a live QB or a run threat at the QB position in 6 man?

Where is the game being played at? I love watching 11-man school trying to play 6-man; Sanderson v. Wink's JV in 2012 was an all-time favorite game of mine.

I would love to help a team transition from 11-man to 6-man or maybe even vice versa.

Ever since the vast majority of 11-man schools started running the spread (about 10 years ago?), it seems more and more six man coaches have incorporated direct snap plays into their offense. I couldn’t tell you of anyone who runs it exclusively, you might want to search youtube for High Island. They ran the Mumme/Leach air-raid modified for six man.

Cougar1414":8j2x4z0k said:
This weeks game of Summit vs Marble Falls should be interesting. It’s the battle of 11 man football.

Marble Falls played 11 man football last year and 3 of Summits starters played 11 man football last year. Including their starting QB.

Have there been any historical teams successful without a live QB or a run threat at the QB position in 6 man?

When I was at Emery we started running a pretty much exclusive direct snap offense in 2015 winning state that season. David Kleban was all-state two years in a row in that offense throwing for 102 TD's in his junior and senior seasons with 5,124 passing yards. It can be very effective with good skill guys. This is my first season at Allen Academy. The team is picking up the same offense well, but we have added some variations of Air Raid and working on a tight formation as well.

Cougar1414":enjbb4j9 said:

If memory serves me correctly, Crowell used to direct snap to their QB primarily in a spread offense and it was very successful for them. It played a huge part in them going to the state championship several years (2013-2015) in a row.

Waco Live Oak used a direct snap to the QB about a third of the time the last two years and won state both years. Bailey had a great arm and was pretty good at getting away from trouble in the backfield. They did it a lot against Plainview Christian in the final last year and Bailey had 6 completions for TD's. I remember they occasionally direct snapped it to Hill as well (he had a pretty good arm too).
Live Oak looks to be rebuilding this year. I saw 3 freshmen in the starting 12 (including QB). They have a pretty impressive coaching pedigree so we will see what they can do with the talent on hand.

BuffaloCountry":1krvnbdl said:
Cougar1414":1krvnbdl said:

If memory serves me correctly, Crowell used to direct snap to their QB primarily in a spread offense and it was very successful for them. It played a huge part in them going to the state championship several years (2013-2015) in a row.

Crowell won three states titles running a traditional "pitch-back" sixman spread. After 3peating, Crowell played Abbott for the state title at Shotwell in Abilene. In my personal opinion, Abbott could not hang with Crowell; it should have been a 20 point win for the latter. How did Abbott win? Coach Crawford and the Panthers ate Crowell's direct snap offense alive.

An 11-man direct snap type offense has ZERO place in sixman unless A. You are running it out of tight as a way to keep the defense honest against your running game B. You have a dominant "jump ball" type receiver C. You run it out of spreads once out of 50 plays to keep the defense honest.

In any other scenario, you are taking away the inherent advantage given to offenses in sixman football. Even if you run quads, the defense can rush one and cover everyone because the guy with the ball cannot run.

There are plenty of places that run that dopey 11-man spread, so just move or get a job at one of those schools. In sixman, you want Johnny Maziel and Michael Vick over Tom Brady and Peyton Manning.

Sorry Tebow, but Crowell only won two. They probably would have won the third against Abbott, but their big, tall, quick passer was too crippled to evade even the big slow rushers.

My senior year at Blum in 15 we ran a mostly a spread based option offense. Lots of run-pass options and shovels, with a few drop back passing plays. On this one particular play against Abbott, we ran a direct snap pass. Nobody got open, and things went south real quick. The sidelines were wide open, but since it was a direct snap the QB couldn’t run with it. He ended running around the backfield like a chicken with his head cut off for a whole ten seconds (we counted in the film room the next Monday). The moral of the story is, it handcuffs your offense too much to run direct snap unless you have Aaron Rodgers on the roster and you run an 11-man style offense with dedicated pass protection and passing schemes as opposed to playing backyard football like most 6-man teams do.

Just feeding off this thread as I have observed several of the top teams in tapps this year which have elite qb and re 80-90% pure passing teams.

NBCA
Veritas
Cedar Park

All of these teams have found success in the air game. Is this something fans should be taking a look at or is it just these teams have elite qb's that have excellent receiving group with zero running backs?

Back