Basketball Phenom??

Status
Not open for further replies.
GigemSooners":1r4htqrd said:
TebowTime15":1r4htqrd said:
GigemSooners":1r4htqrd said:
TebowTime15":1r4htqrd said:
I bet this JH kid will never be as good as Coey Smith....or has BE forgotten about the best basketball player he has ever coached and the best basketball player in Richland Springs history?
This is hilarious, I guess you dont go to the basketball games. Just fyi, Mathew had 46 tonight against Blanket and Griff had 35. Tell me about the best basketball players who came out of Richland are? Coey Smith was no doubt a stud but you cant compare him to these boys
* Also way to take a jab at a a 7th grade who could easily be starting for most varsity schools. Give credit where it's due.

While I mean no disrespect to anyone else, you don't have to "know basketball" to understand that most sixman schools don't have a 6'3 200 pound guy that can windmill dunk.

I really appreciate your response, thank you for being respectful regardless of the situation with the Rigdons. I was just clearly stating you cant compare these boys because they play(ed) different positions and are putting up amazing numbers. I agree that a 6'3 200lb kid that can slam it is an incredible feat and shows pure athleticism. But... how many times a game did this happen? Nothing against the kid. What I would really like to know is Richlands record book and see who is the leader in each category(if it's even available). This may rub you the wrong way but I also believe that dunking (even if it's a windmill/flashy dunk) does not dictate what kind of basketball player that specific person plays. Post is different than point.
* You think you may be able to find the record books for RS basketball?

I suspect Coey will not be in the RS record books. Maybe your buddy BE could tell you all about Coey. BE, what was it like to coach such a talent?

TebowTime15":1dy7gu4n said:
GigemSooners":1dy7gu4n said:
GigemSooners":1dy7gu4n said:
I bet this JH kid will never be as good as Coey Smith....or has BE forgotten about the best basketball player he has ever coached and the best basketball player in Richland Springs history?
This is hilarious, I guess you dont go to the basketball games. Just fyi, Mathew had 46 tonight against Blanket and Griff had 35. Tell me about the best basketball players who came out of Richland are? Coey Smith was no doubt a stud but you cant compare him to these boys
* Also way to take a jab at a a 7th grade who could easily be starting for most varsity schools. Give credit where it's due.

While I mean no disrespect to anyone else, you don't have to "know basketball" to understand that most sixman schools don't have a 6'3 200 pound guy that can windmill dunk.

I really appreciate your response, thank you for being respectful regardless of the situation with the Rigdons. I was just clearly stating you cant compare these boys because they play(ed) different positions and are putting up amazing numbers. I agree that a 6'3 200lb kid that can slam it is an incredible feat and shows pure athleticism. But... how many times a game did this happen? Nothing against the kid. What I would really like to know is Richlands record book and see who is the leader in each category(if it's even available). This may rub you the wrong way but I also believe that dunking (even if it's a windmill/flashy dunk) does not dictate what kind of basketball player that specific person plays. Post is different than point.
* You think you may be able to find the record books for RS basketball?

I suspect Coey will not be in the RS record books. Maybe your buddy BE could tell you all about Coey. BE, what was it like to coach such a talent?

Seriously bud, why do you seem so snarky when it's about the records books. Would you be mad if Mathew averaged the most points in a game? Assists? Rebounds? Blocks? Turnovers? I guess dunks can be added since it floats your boat. Be grateful for the talent that we have. We could go on a deep run this year in bball too! Why do you keep bringing in Coach Ethridge? There is a difference in athleticism in sports and being the best ball player on the court. Some of the best athletes I've met could dunk a basketball but couldnt play the sport worth a crap. You should know that. That goes with football too. Some just dont get it and get by with athleticism.

Seriously bud, why do you seem so snarky when it's about the records books. Would you be mad if Mathew averaged the most points in a game? Assists? Rebounds? Blocks? Turnovers? I guess dunks can be added since it floats your boat. Be grateful for the talent that we have. We could go on a deep run this year in bball too! Why do you keep bringing in Coach Ethridge? There is a difference in athleticism in sports and being the best ball player on the court. Some of the best athletes I've met could dunk a basketball but couldnt play the sport worth a crap. You should know that. That goes with football too. Some just dont get it and get by with athleticism.

I thought you meant career numbers. If you mean season stats, I bet this junior high kid outscored Coey. Then again, nobody keeps records in junior high.

It's an interesting parallel between the two as, unless Rigdon stays at Richland Springs, they both only played one year. I want BE to answer since he coached Coey at Richland Springs during the 2006-2007 season. Maybe you should text him and let us know what he says about it because he won't respond to me.

BE, believe me, I'm not trying to take anything away from young Rigdon. He is indeed a really good player. So good in fact against May, when his driving lane was cut off he would distribute to his corner shooters. They, in turn pumped in about 5 three point shots. His team play and his team mates was the difference in losing by ten and winning by two. The score was 47-45, and as good a Jr. High game as anyone would want to watch.

Blue Bird":34oclv9x said:
BE, believe me, I'm not trying to take anything away from young Rigdon. He is indeed a really good player. So good in fact against May, when his driving lane was cut off he would distribute to his corner shooters. They, in turn pumped in about 5 three point shots. His team play and his team mates was the difference in losing by ten and winning by two. The score was 47-45, and as good a Jr. High game as anyone would want to watch.

That sounds like maybe some good coaching involved there also.

Google this and google that and you will know the gospel according to lovers and haters.
We get it com padre, no one is perfect and we all sin and fall short ....
That childish point is like when one of my kids gets in trouble and starts pointing fingers at the other seven's wrongs.

And let me say one more thing...when Moby is in your net , the rest are guppies.

Johnny South":30q9nfsp said:
Blue Bird":30q9nfsp said:

That sounds like maybe some good coaching involved there also.

Sounds like you dont know basketball which is fine. Let me give you an example... You dont necessarily have to coach a team when you have a stud that is way above the rest of the talent. You run an ISO. Have someone screen, and then you make your move. The fact that he has the presence of mind to dish out a pass instead of making a bad or contested shot proves his maturity at a young age. Like I said he could be playing for most varsity teams right now.
* 47 points were scored, 31 by Chaca who sat because of foul trouble. 10 was scored by a 6th grader and 6 by an 8th grader. Rigdon had the 5 3's scored in the game (all of them). I know it hurts to see the Rigdon boys do well but as someone who thinks rational... why in the heck would we be trying to run this family off? Basically a guaranteed state championship for us next year if they stay. And a deep run in Basketball. Some people just dont get it I guess. To each their own.

truthhurts17":36a9rc6e said:
maybe...just maybe, sports arent everything.

The fact that Mathew will have over 40 college credit hours, when he starts college make any difference?? The truth hurt you the first time I posted so no need for you to get your feelings hurt again aka the thruth... Just a suggestion, maybe you should change your username.

Reason with me for a moment.
A bonafide stud, a Moby, a Bowie, and his family seek a better opportunity to get to a championship by moving to such a school with a history of success and championships. When he succeeds in that goal what is his legacy? He becomes a part of an additional championship among a line of many championships. The ones remembered are the ones who started that success.

But when that stud arrives at a less than successful program and leads them to the championship, he is remembered. His name, his image. His persona.
He is great, less so the program. That is a great legacy.

BE":1hvigppi said:
A bonafide stud, a Moby, a Bowie, and his family seek a better opportunity to get to a championship by moving to such a school with a history of success and championships. When he succeeds in that goal what is his legacy? He becomes a part of an additional championship among a line of many championships. The ones remembered are the ones who started that success.

But when that stud arrives at a less than successful program and leads them to the championship, he is remembered. His name, his image. His persona.

I liked your other answer to the point that I was going to let this go.

Here is the deal: While I think your son, the greatest sixman player ever, could have won rings at another school, the reality remains that he won them at Richland Springs. Although I know the "break up" was bad, you should at least respect the fact that you, your son, the kids at Richland, Burkhart, and the community did some special things together. Most would give up a lot to experience that much success at anything, much less football.

Why are you coming on this site making outlandish innuendo about things going on currently in Richland Springs? Things may "look bad," but they have always "looked bad" if you catch my drift dating back to when you worked there. While it's understandable for people like Gig'em to say whatever, I think you are doing yourself a disservice. I am sure the UIL would love nothing more than to use your own words to take away state titles.

Lastly, are you familiar with the concept of "standing" in law? If not, look it up. Basically, you have no moral standing, used metaphorically more than literally, in this situation because you benefited from the same system you now derail. Isn't that the very definition of hypocrisy?

Losing to Richland in the state game a few years ago gave you insight into how people from Eden, Rochelle, May, Santa Anna, Lometa, Panther Creek, Cherokee, Lohn, Mullin, Blanket, Brookesmith, and any other little school I left out in the area feel every year when they end up in the same district with Richland.

Truthhurts', the best basketball player I have ever coached prior to 2019 is Mark Williams, class of RS 2008.

TebowTime15":1wgd4puw said:
BE":1wgd4puw said:

I liked your other answer to the point that I was going to let this go.

Here is the deal: While I think your son, the greatest sixman player ever, could have won rings at another school, the reality remains that he won them at Richland Springs. Although I know the "break up" was bad, you should at least respect the fact that you, your son, the kids at Richland, Burkhart, and the community did some special things together. Most would give up a lot to experience that much success at anything, much less football.

Why are you coming on this site making outlandish innuendo about things going on currently in Richland Springs? Things may "look bad," but they have always "looked bad" if you catch my drift dating back to when you worked there. While it's understandable for people like Gig'em to say whatever, I think you are doing yourself a disservice. I am sure the UIL would love nothing more than to use your own words to take away state titles.

Lastly, are you familiar with the concept of "standing" in law? If not, look it up. Basically, you have no moral standing, used metaphorically more than literally, in this situation because you benefited from the same system you now derail. Isn't that the very definition of hypocrisy?

Losing to Richland in the state game a few years ago gave you insight into how people from Eden, Rochelle, May, Santa Anna, Lometa, Panther Creek, Cherokee, Lohn, Mullin, Blanket, Brookesmith, and any other little school I left out in the area feel every year when they end up in the same district with Richland.

No offense but your rant doesn't make us look any better, actually makes the school look worse. It seems to me that you have a grudge against Coach Ethridge. Making snappy remarks doesnt help your case. I thought hes been pretty fair throughout this thread. Not sure what this outlandish innuendo you're talking about. I'll get straight to the point, this is a thread about a 7th grader who scored 51 points in a game who happens to have the last name Rigdon and plays for Richland Springs. My question is why on earth would we decide to basically give someone else the Rigdon family? You really have to wonder about the decisions the board, AD and superintendent make. I personally think Coach Rigdon got hosed. Without those boys, and the other boys we are losing, I cant see us have any shot at winning a title next year. Basketball? Do we win district next year as well? I dont think so

This is not a knock towards all of the amazing athletes before my class, but none of them could get it done before we did. Was the foundation set? Of course. Doyle is one of the greatest ever because he turned an underachieving program into a serious contender. Then came others like Ethridge, Burkhart, Rogers, Tipton, and Rigdon to help fulfill the vision.

Build it and they will come.
Would it have been better for Coach Ethridge’s and Tyler’s legacy to stay in Hermleigh? Yeah, maybe, if we would have won some titles.

Sounds to me like wisdom made the right choice to apply at Richland Springs. The rest is history.

Rather than being eaten up inside with covetousness, why not go and build yourself a similar program? If I were Coach Ethridge and J. Rigdon, I would team up together to build a sustainable program that outlasts their kids. It helps to have studs for kids. Team up and beat the snot out of the Richland Springs, Strawn’s, and whoever else that claims to own a monopoly in the sixman world.

The truth is, and what is plain to see, most coaches just want to go where the talent is. Is that wise? Conventional wisdom may say so, but I believe you can build a program like RS, Strawn, Borden County, Balmorhea, and so forth just about anywhere. There are obvious exceptions. I’m not completely stupid. ;)

It’s no coincidence, though, that no matter where Vance Jones goes, he eventually sees success. Athletes have something to do with it, but not every time. Ask Rule about that. I’m good friends with Kittley. Those boys were greater athletes than we were. Period. Not even a shadow of a doubt about that. Coaching won those games. Everyone always gives the guy who throws and runs most of the touchdowns the credit but it’s the coaching that gets the job done at the end of the day.

With that being said, Chaca, Matthew, Griff, Braxton, and Cohen are great, but without great coaching they’ll be duds.

I know my dads a great coach, not sure about Rigdon. Why not bind together to find out? Preferably Division 2.
;)

GigemSooners":1ocuumv2 said:
No offense but your rant doesn't make us look any better, actually makes the school look worse. It seems to me that you have a grudge against Coach Ethridge.

Actually, I like Coach Ethridge and am doing this to help him. While I really don't care what he thinks deep down, I am trying to show him that ranting against Richland Springs does him no good.

Making snappy remarks doesnt help your case. I thought hes been pretty fair throughout this thread. Not sure what this outlandish innuendo you're talking about.
While I really don't care what you think about anything, you're whole claim about Richland Springs is silly. Coach Rigdon, for better or worse, got reassigned by the Richland school board as could ANY [unless they have something different in their contract] public school employee in Texas. The Richland Springs School Board could make Burkhart the janitor tomorrow, and he would have to do it until his contract expires.

Rigdon is probably going to job interviews right now to move on with his life. Although I agree with you it looks bad, the whole Richland Springs thing has always looked bad. How can one school win so many state titles? I don't know for sure, but I do know that Jerry has done something right as a coach.

From just a legal perspective, the Richland Springs School Board can do whatever they want as long as they pay the reassigned employee. The fact you keep beating a dead horse = the outlandish innuendo I speak of. If you want to change that, run for Congress.

I'll get straight to the point, this is a thread about a 7th grader who scored 51 points in a game who happens to have the last name Rigdon and plays for Richland Springs. My question is why on earth would we decide to basically give someone else the Rigdon family? You really have to wonder about the decisions the board, AD and superintendent make.

Yeah, I've tried to ignore your silly premise about a junior high kid scoring 50 points in a game meaning he is the next LeBron James. Let me school in some basketball knowledge.

Before I start, however, I am not attacking the kid; I am sure he's a great basketball player. Unfortunately, people are using him as evidence of some type of conspiracy.

1. Sixman junior high basketball is not a very high-level. Although sometimes two teams can be really talented, often times one or both simply are not.

2. The fact he scored so many points, on that level, probably means he plays PG rather than a post position. To score 50 points in six minute quarters, he probably stole the ball and did a layup for around 40% of those points. Basically, Derek Fisher (if you don't know who that is then Google it) has a better shot at scoring 50 points in given the rules than Shaquille O'neal.

3. Junior high is a very confusing time for all the kids involved, and some develop faster than others. I'll give you an example: When I was in junior high, we beat a team 38 to 2 in the 7th grade. In the 8th grade, they beat us. Although part of that is because some kid moved in who could handle the ball, which allowed them to break our press, one of their guys grew like 5 inches. The same two teams could play next year with a totally different outcome.

I personally think Coach Rigdon got hosed. Without those boys, and the other boys we are losing, I cant see us have any shot at winning a title next year. Basketball?

We heard you the first, second, third, and fourth time. He probably did get hosed. What do you want anyone to do about it? Writing your Congressman is about the only thing you could do to maybe prevent this from happening again.

I am not responding to your crap anymore.

13forever":2yvkgywb said:
It’s no coincidence, though, that no matter where Vance Jones goes, he eventually sees success.

That's a darn good point. I watched one of those Balmorhea teams that went to state in high school when they were in junior high and didn't see anything that made me think "gosh, they are special."

BE":2yodf82b said:
Truthhurts', the best basketball player I have ever coached prior to 2019 is Mark Williams, class of RS 2008.

That's not true and you know it. Williams was a good basketball player, but the post combo of Coey Smith and Patrick Couch made those teams hard-nose like the Bad Boy Pistons. I never thought either one of them got the respect they deserved, especially Coey. Oh, and big boy could come in and bang as well. That team was probably the most physical team I ever played against when the refs called fouls within reason.

GigemSooners":1k2fdv6f said:
TebowTime15":1k2fdv6f said:
GigemSooners":1k2fdv6f said:
No offense but your rant doesn't make us look any better, actually makes the school look worse. It seems to me that you have a grudge against Coach Ethridge.

Actually, I like Coach Ethridge and am doing this to help him. While I really don't care what he thinks deep down, I am trying to show him that ranting against Richland Springs does him no good.

Making snappy remarks doesnt help your case. I thought hes been pretty fair throughout this thread. Not sure what this outlandish innuendo you're talking about.
While I really don't care what you think about anything, you're whole claim about Richland Springs is silly. Coach Rigdon, for better or worse, got reassigned by the Richland school board as could ANY [unless they have something different in their contract] public school employee in Texas. The Richland Springs School Board could make Burkhart the janitor tomorrow, and he would have to do it until his contract expires.

Rigdon is probably going to job interviews right now to move on with his life. Although I agree with you it looks bad, the whole Richland Springs thing has always looked bad. How can one school win so many state titles? I don't know for sure, but I do know that Jerry has done something right as a coach.

From just a legal perspective, the Richland Springs School Board can do whatever they want as long as they pay the reassigned employee. The fact you keep beating a dead horse = the outlandish innuendo I speak of. If you want to change that, run for Congress.

I'll get straight to the point, this is a thread about a 7th grader who scored 51 points in a game who happens to have the last name Rigdon and plays for Richland Springs. My question is why on earth would we decide to basically give someone else the Rigdon family? You really have to wonder about the decisions the board, AD and superintendent make.

Yeah, I've tried to ignore your silly premise about a junior high kid scoring 50 points in a game meaning he is the next LeBron James. Let me school in some basketball knowledge.

Before I start, however, I am not attacking the kid; I am sure he's a great basketball player. Unfortunately, people are using him as evidence of some type of conspiracy.

1. Sixman junior high basketball is not a very high-level. Although sometimes two teams can be really talented, often times one or both simply are not.

2. The fact he scored so many points, on that level, probably means he plays PG rather than a post position. To score 50 points in six minute quarters, he probably stole the ball and did a layup for around 40% of those points. Basically, Derek Fisher (if you don't know who that is then Google it) has a better shot at scoring 50 points in given the rules than Shaquille O'neal.

3. Junior high is a very confusing time for all the kids involved, and some develop faster than others. I'll give you an example: When I was in junior high, we beat a team 38 to 2 in the 7th grade. In the 8th grade, they beat us. Although part of that is because some kid moved in who could handle the ball, which allowed them to break our press, one of their guys grew like 5 inches. The same two teams could play next year with a totally different outcome.

I personally think Coach Rigdon got hosed. Without those boys, and the other boys we are losing, I cant see us have any shot at winning a title next year. Basketball?

We heard you the first, second, third, and fourth time. He probably did get hosed. What do you want anyone to do about it? Writing your Congressman is about the only thing you could do to maybe prevent this from happening again.

I am not responding to your crap anymore.

The school board did not reassign Coach Rigdon. As a matter of fact, I know one school board member who wasnt happy the decision didnt come to them. It was all JB ,Rhonda Wyatt, and Don Fowler that made the decision without informing the school board. When there was an open records request for Coach Rigdons, there was nothing in his file. I saw this personally. No write up? No discipline letters? Isnt that protocol?
The admin also took the letter about a certain board member who made racist comments as well as allegations of a paying a Running back who played with you. Remember Jason Lewis getting his dad a job at the sand plant?
Paying for rent?
If I was you, i would be the one that shuts up before someone really decides they had enough and tells everything about Richland.
Also, JBs wife was/is a Hillary supporter.

You just can't fathom that I have nothing to do with Richland Springs, can you? I don't know Jason Lewis and thus never played football with him.

I do want to amend one thing, however: you said you know a school board member, which you probably don't since your a chronic dramatizer, but let's just say you do for funzzies. The Richland Springs School Board could fire Fowler and Burkhart and hire Ridgon, Ethridge, and you to coach the team (assuming the three mentioned all agreed to that.) If you're right, why aren't they making a change?

Someone posted Rigdon got a job in Grandfalls. He'll make a ton more money, their housing is amazing, and they will probably win a lot of ball games way out west. While I wish him the best of luck out there if true, I've literally seen him ask you to stop posting on here before. Are you ready to move on? I can tell you that am 1000% ready to put this issue to rest, but the ball is in your court.

"Someone posted Rigdon got a job in Grandfalls."

The job was posted yesterday. They've all ready interviewed, offered and accepted? That was fast...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back